Daps
WOOOOAH

Sing About Me/I'm Dying of Thirst, Money Trees, The Art of Peer Pressure >>>>

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Well if you're gonna judge an album as a whole, then you HAVE to look at its overall consistency. The question may be more open to opinions than you originally intended, but as a single entity, the entire album, Kendrick's was better. Sideline Story was good too, but I could've lived without Can't Get Enough, Lights Please, Mr. Nice Watch, Cole World, and Never Told. I think he should've had some outside producers come and help him make the beats. J. Cole beats wear themselves out in time. I haven't listen to his album once this entire year. It got played out real quick.

Honestly both albums only had three songs that made it into my permanent rotation. For Cole it was sideline story, rise and shine, and dollar and a dream. For Kendrick it was. Good kid, sing about me, and real. Out of the rest of the tracks I think Cole holds the edge:yeshrug:

The story/skits on kendricks album are cool. But it doesn't really improve the songs. In fact I wish the skits were separate tracks opposed to being part of the songs cause I wouldn't want to listen to them over and over again.

iNad925

Imma let you finish, but WINTER IS COMING
Daps
I don't get why people love money trees so much that "ya bish" crap ruins the song for me. J rock did a good job though

cuz the vibe of the whole song flows so well with the theme of the album and how it immediately follows a song called "The Art of Peer Pressure"...plus despite the "ya bish" crap, both of them have good verses.

Also, for me GKMC > CW: SS because GKMC is, to me, more cohesive and has a better theme. The quality of music in both projects is good-to-great, but at the same time, GKMC is well constructed, because each song builds upon the whole story while CW: SS seems to be all over the place sometimes as he goes from D&DIII to Can't Get Enough to Lights Please to Sideline Story to Mr. Nice Watch to In The Morning.

Still, the lack of that flow that GKMC has doesn't take away from the quality of CW: SS, but makes GKMC better

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
cuz the vibe of the whole song flows so well with the theme of the album and how it immediately follows a song called "The Art of Peer Pressure"...plus despite the "ya bish" crap, both of them have good verses.

Also, for me GKMC > CW: SS because GKMC is, to me, more cohesive and has a better theme. The quality of music in both projects is good-to-great, but at the same time, GKMC is well constructed, because each song builds upon the whole story while CW: SS seems to be all over the place sometimes as he goes from D&DIII to Can't Get Enough to Lights Please to Sideline Story to Mr. Nice Watch to In The Morning.

Still, the lack of that flow that GKMC has doesn't take away from the quality of CW: SS, but makes GKMC better

I agree with you about the cohesiveness, but I'm all about the music/songs. After the first couple listens I almost never listen to an album all the way through. So for me I judge an album by the amount of songs I'd like to listen to multiple times.

NuBlackRanger

LongTimeLurker
Daps
Reppin
OilCountry
The comparison ain't all that crazy.. lol. They both about equal in terms of song quality imo. Besides the obvious advantage K. dot has in the cohesiveness I'm leanin toward the ts on this one. I'm the type of cat to put all the newest shyt I have on a playlist and shuffle that shyt so although a story is nice it doesn't really 'make' the album for me at the end of the day.

iNad925

Imma let you finish, but WINTER IS COMING
Daps
I agree with you about the cohesiveness, but I'm all about the music/songs. After the first couple listens I almost never listen to an album all the way through. So for me I judge an album by the amount of songs I'd like to listen to multiple times.

and that's cool too, can't hate on that since that's what it comes down to when downloading songs on the go for iPods/phones w.e.

If I'm gonna rate an album, it will NEVER be about just "the amount of songs [you will] listen to multiple times" because that never captures the whole vibe of the project. For example, Rick Ross' GFID has those type of songs that you'll listen to individually multiple times and to me, the whole album (which I love and is a 8/10 in my book) feels just like a compilation of various singles, whereas Nas' LIG doesn't have a lot of those aforementioned types of songs but that doesn't mean GFID is better than LIG.

At the end of the day, it's all subjective, but if you're going to judge a work of art, you have to judge the work as a whole of its parts, and not the other way around