Co-worker hasn't seen an MCU movie since Avengers (2012)

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
I think most comic movies are meh. And they always get overhyped. Most of the Avengers storyline is cookie cutter to me. I’ll watch them as something to do, but acting like missing any comic movie is like skipping Empire to watch Returnof the Jedi :mjlol:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
:gucci:

I hope your co-worker is utterly confused from the very beginning to the post credits. Don't even give him a condensed list of essentials either. How you going to miss over 10 movies and walk in at the end.
That's going to be a fair amount of the audience. If they hope to break records, they are counting on people that skipped 10 of the other mcu movies but are gonna get dragged or convinced to see the event film that is avengers 3.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Bunch of people wilding in this thread.

He ain't gonna know what the fukk is going on. Period. Whether or not that bothers him :manny: but to act like you can piece together what's happened since 2012 just based off intuition or "the story ain't that deep" is :what: as fukk.

He ain't gonna know what the Infinity Stones are.
He ain't gonna know half the characters (Black Panther, Winter Soldier, Dr. Strange, GOTG, The Collector, etc.)
He ain't gonna know why certain characters like Ironman and Cap had beef, or why the team is fractured.
He ain't gonna know why they left Asgard, or what Wakanda is.
No this shyt ain't "The Godfather" but if you go into a movie with that many questions what is the point? :gucci:

I see people saying "for the action" but the main character in the movie is Thanos....who he doesn't even know....and has a bunch of flash backs to Gamora's childhood, Thanos childhood, etc. If it was 2 hours and 30 minutes of nonstop action I could kinda understand....but it's not.

Fred.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I mean, I've never seen :

The Incredible Hulk
Ironman 2
Ironman 3
Guardians 2
Dr. Strange
Thor Ragnorak
Ant-Man
Spiderman Homecoming

I'll still watch IW though.

I personally think that with the internet, and pop-culture being so focused on this kind of stuff nowadays, most people pick shyt up through osmosis anyways. Add in the fact that, as much as y'all will hate this, these movies are STILL all pretty similar to one another anyways....it's not hard to really follow this stuff.

The glove is just a powerful mcguffin, Thanos is just another big bad, robots do robot things, etc.

Groot needs no explanation.

@Groot

Edit : Isn't it safe to assume that the MAJORITY of the audience hasn't seen every MCU movie? My completely random guess would be that most audience members have probably missed 2 or 3.(And I recognize that TIH barely counts and doesn't even need to factor into this scenario)
I've seen all them shyts and don't remember a lot of the details about each one. So I could be in a similar boat.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
Iron man 1
All there Captain America movies
Both Avengers movies
Ragnorok
Gaudians 1
Black panther

Those are the essentials he could skip everything else still be caught up in the story
Loved BP but it's like one of the least necessary watches for IW..like down there with Spider-Man and Ant Man. One post credit scene very lightly ties into it and it didn't really confirm anything the audience didn't already know from trailers. I'd replace it with Thor: Ragnarok.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

jadden

Superstar
Daps
Loved BP but it's like one of the least necessary watches for IW..like down there with Spider-Man and Ant Man. One post credit scene very lightly ties into it and it didn't really confirm anything the audience didn't already know from trailers. I'd replace it with Thor: Ragnarok.

Shows off wakanda fully which is looking like the major set piece in IW

Fleshes out T'challa more than civil war did

Explains why why BP has a new suit and why he's letting is little sister mess around with an infinity stone :manny:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
It depends on what is revealed in infinity War.

If the infinity stones (soul, more specifically) have any connection or significance to Wakanda, the heart shaped herb, and or the huge ass vibranium deposit, then I can see BP being one of the more essential watch films for IW.

I know what Coogler said about the powers in Wakanda not having a connection to the wider story but I'm still not sure I buy it.

Last edited:

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
Shows off wakanda fully which is looking like the major set piece in IW

Fleshes out T'challa more than civil war did

Explains why why BP has a new suit and why he's letting is little sister mess around with an infinity stone :manny:
None of that info is as critical as to why all of Asgard is on a ship, Odin’s gone, and Loki has an infity stone though.

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
He's missing a lot of good stories...but to be real he can just watch civil war, the first Guardians movie, and maybe Dr. Strange and be caught up.

Jimmy ValenTime

A really good Lawyer
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx
i plan to rewatch

Iron Man 1
Avengers 1
Captain America : Winter Solider
Guardians 1
Avengers 2
Civil War