Clue (The Coli Movie Club)

cook

Banned
Daps
My review as soon as I get a glass of champagne from Yvette

tumblr88.gif

It had been years since I've seen Clue and despite seeing a few times in the past it was as enjoyable as ever. Someone looking for a true murder mystery is sure to be disappointed as the plot is pretty thin. The performances are what really shine the most in this one. Tim Curry leads a star filled cast and does a great job keeping everything together and moving it along at a tremendous pace. Although some of the jokes fall flat, there's a lot of good subtle humor to go along with the slapstick stuff, which makes for a fun, light heated experience. The big house with all the secret passages provides a nice background. Anything film noir-ish gets a few extra points from me.

May I suggest dropping the spoiler tagging requirement. This is a club for reviewing movies, the point is for us to discuss the movies freely, its hard to follow having to click spoilers in quotes and everywhere. There's really no need to be in the thread until you've seen the movie of the week. It should be a read at your own risk type of thread IMO :ld:

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
My review as soon as I get a glass of champagne from Yvette

tumblr88.gif

It had been years since I've seen Clue and despite seeing a few times in the past it was as enjoyable as ever. Someone looking for a true murder mystery is sure to be disappointed as the plot is pretty thin. The performances are what really shine the most in this one. Tim Curry leads a star filled cast and does a great job keeping everything together and moving it along at a tremendous pace. Although some of the jokes fall flat, there's a lot of good subtle humor to go along with the slapstick stuff, which makes for a fun, light heated experience. The big house with all the secret passages provides a nice background. Anything film noir-ish gets a few extra points from me.

May I suggest dropping the spoiler tagging requirement. This is a club for reviewing movies, the point is for us to discuss the movies freely, its hard to follow having to click spoilers in quotes and everywhere. There's really no need to be in the thread until you've seen the movie of the week. It should be a read at your own risk type of thread IMO :ld:
I say the spoiler is fine.. I like to read the lighter comments people leave

Daps

Agreed 100%. It's getting cumbersome.

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
How do u know if a certain movie is on Netflix , I don't have Netflix but I'm guessing ill pick a movie from there

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
You would be hard-pressed to find a better assemblage of top notch character actors all together in one film than you have in Clue. Everyone was perfectly cast and all were given time to shine but the MVP of the entire movie was Tim Curry. Dude did everything in Clue and was the madcap glue that held this farcical whodunit together. I loved how plot developments were thrown at the audience at hyperspeed which I enjoyed but could see how it would become a bit much for some people. I also liked that the movie was very tight with a brisk running time of under 90 minutes.
As for the alternate endings...my favorite was the one where everyone was a killer and Tim Curry was Mr. Body.

I give Clue: The Movie 3 Roger Eberts out of 5 :ebert::ebert::ebert:
:dead: @ the ebert heads

that should be the customary film room grading scale from now on :heh:

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
Grafx: Basic
It looked great with the whole time period thing but the fixed location makes it somewhat stale after long.

Trax (soundtrack): Basic
Nothing wrong just didn't blow me away.

Breax (acting): Dope
Throwback to classic professional trained actors laying down solid performances. Special shout out to DEM TITTAYS. Both sets kept me interested throughout.

Lyrix (writing): Dope
I was into the humor. I was wondering how they were going to make the game into an interesting movie and they did a good job of adding layers and twists to keep it moving. Again, nice to see a technically sound movie with a well written script.

The part with the black cop kind of struck me as some light weight Sambo s***. There was one moment with a close up where it make me cring how greasy and wide eyed the dude was. Maybe I'm just sensitive. Overall an enjoyable time. The three endings was a little annoying just for the sake of needing the story to wind up somehow. Open ended just kind of leaves you hollow. It can work for some movies but there is a purpose for a definite ending. Feels satisfying.

Three mics.

tonyclifton

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Just finished it. It was pretty decent I was surprised . Dialog was on point . Ending was ok.

6/10

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Clue though:

I have vague memories of Clue as a kid. I remember flipping through the channels one time and coming upon it and just seeing Tim Curry walking around a big house and I changed the channel.

That was my memory of Clue. It was undoubtedly Clue, to be sure. But I dunno why I didn't watch it. And I've known of its existence but I've never ever come across anyone who is like, "Man, I love me some Clue: The Film" even though apparently it's a huge cult classic? :yeshrug:

Like I've never heard anyone mention this film in real life.

That said, I enjoyed it, to an extent, and I'm glad I watched it now, because I reckon if I watched it when I was younger I wouldn't have picked up on all the jokes that are peppered throughout.

But it ultimately falls flat for me at least. I get all the jokes. I get the gags, but only a few actually merited me laughing out loud (I work for the State Department, and I'm a homosexual! Tim Curry: :ugghh: ). I feel like it's a genuine historical curio than a really great film. I say that because the idea of three endings being sent out to different theaters is a superb idea and must've been some :mindblown: shyt in the past. Perhaps I'm wrong, someone let me know, but thinking about it today it even has me like :ohhh:

And I can see why critics probably hated that shyt. An example of this in contemporary times I can think of is The Devil Inside when the film ended and the screen said to go to a website to learn more. Which on the face of it is bullshyt but you can see what they were trying to do (I guess) and the link might be sorta specious between the endings of Clue and The Devil Inside, but the point is that for me at least, I always at least give the filmmakers a little bit of credit when they attempt something different. No matter how lazy or hamfisted or how ill-thought out that idea might be.

And that's why I can give Clue a pass, because it's so goddamn earnest at the end of the day. It goes 100% and believes wholeheartedly in what it is trying to accomplish, and, fukk, that's all we can ask for in film and in life I reckon :ehh:

The other problem with the multiple endings being the only difference in the releases is that there really isn't anything interesting about rewatching the film....

...now, if it was actually like gameplay of the board game, and they slipped minor PLOT changes into different versions of the releases, then seeing it multiple times might actually be a really interesting experience. Sitting in the theater, knowing one possible ending, and trying to analyze each scene/death to see who could have committed the murders, based on your previous knowledge of the film/"how the game is played"

:manny:

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
This is a dope fukking idea, I've watched clue 100 times but i'll give it another spin when I get a chance just to give a fresh review.