Cleveland or Louisville for relocation

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
Ain’t shaker heights a high school?
its a subrub of cleveland, and the high school is named after the suburb. most of the suburb schools in the area are just named after the suburb its in
Why Columbus? I go there for a convention yearly but nothing else.
If i go back to ohio, it would be columbus, less snow, badder/more diverse broads.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Only 40k???

What does this lead too?

Yeah, this nikka make less than dudes who work in warehouses:russ:

Well, I know but different folks start at different places in life. He is a good dude that wants to work but comes from a struggle situation. His family is a drunk father and a dope fiend mom in the hood. His brother is more worried about beefing with nikkas and fighting with his bm. My friend made a mistake of dropping out of HS right before COVID but has almost finished his GED (tests were unavailable during COVID) and wants to get out. Maritime is one of those industries that people don't know about that takes the less educated and gives reasonably stable job with opportunity for fast promotion. Let me explain.

Being on a boat 6 months out of the year he will have all his food, accommodation, etc. paid for. The company also flies him to the boat crew change for free. So he is not making huge bank but the typical expense of a commute/car maintenance, food, living expenses (minus rent which he would still pay), utilities, are substantially less. He will only really pay for rent and car insurance regularly. It's like being able to bank the same amount as someone making 25-50% more in a regular job since at minimum he is paying 50% less on food and gas a year than the average person. I reviewed the insurance plans in his offers too and he is getting insurance the same or better than white collar jobs with reasonably low premiums and deductibles. Also because of his background he has zero debt so that is a silver lining.

Maritime is hurting for workers because anyone with a family or even a gf doesn't want to be gone on a hitch that is 28 days straight with no shore leave. When fast food is paying $20/hr people with families rather stay shoreside. Also they have a crewing problem because of the DOT drug test. My friend doesn't do drugs and has no personal relationships right now so he is fine with this. They are also so short crewed overtime is available so he is going to try to work 9 months per year for the first year or two if he can and effectively make $60k with three months off (though not consecutive) per year.

Second, maritime is low entrance but has opportunity for fast promotion. The companies he is getting offers from are often shipping petroleum products and he starts as a deckhand but in one to two years if he takes a course he can become a tankerman and make $60k. By his late 20s (he is 21 now) he could be an engineer making $80k or by late 20s/early 30s a captain making $100k , all without a college degree. Part of the reason for the high salaries is the Jones Act which is a US law that makes ships serving the US only required to hire all US citizen crews. So no foreign competition.

He actually has a forklift certification but for some reason the warehouses weren't feeling him like that. Probably because he was still working on his GED. They said no and three different maritime companies were like "when can you start?" So he wants to start making money :yeshrug:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
its a subrub of cleveland, and the high school is named after the suburb. most of the suburb schools in the area are just named after the suburb its in

If i go back to ohio, it would be columbus, less snow, badder/more diverse broads.
Columbus at this point is the 14th largest city in the U.S.

Cleveland certain things that Columbus doesn't have (namely a solid public transportation system) and an older/more dedicated public works system. But Columbus is massively growing.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Asking the question for a friend. He has a job in the maritime industry where he will be basically on a boat 6 months out of the year but the company flies him out to crew changes. However, they only fly out from specific cities and not where he is living. The closest cities he is looking at are Cleveland and Louisville. In Louisville he is looking at West Buechel, Hollow Creek Worthington, or maybe Fincastle. In Cleveland he is looking at Shaker Heights, South Euclid, etc.

He is a young, single breh that will be making around $40k to start. Any opinions welcome. Columbus may be an option too though he will need to drive to one of the previous cities to fly out.
Cleveland, he is going to be struggling with that salary though, he can find something but it will be in the hood.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
does he want a hellish winter? may want a more tolerable winter in Louisville.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Cleveland Museum of Art

Playhouse Square

playhouse-square-frozen-in-time-fine-art-photography.jpg

A number of great universities

shoutout Case Western

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Cleveland is not as bad as people make in my opinion. Ohio city alone would make me pick Cleveland over Louisville.

But nightlife in Louisville appeared better from what I saw when I was there.

Cleveland comes off as dead in most of the city. Also food wise I’m not sure. Cleveland food scene needs a lot of work. Cleveland in my opinion had the worst soul food I ever tried.
Cleveland has good restaurants, but moreso on the I guess stereotypical uppity white palette (pasta, seafood, steakhouse) compared to a diverse array like a NYC or Miami. Mabel's soul food was good though.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Cleveland has good restaurants, but moreso on the I guess stereotypical uppity white palette (pasta, seafood, steakhouse) compared to a diverse array like a NYC or Miami. Mabel's soul food was good though.
I should have been more clear and said Cleveland does have good food cause I did eat good. But for a city with a high black population the few soil food spots I had sucked. Also I met a good amount of Jamaican people there. I met 3 Jamaicans before I met an AA

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
I should have been more clear and said Cleveland does have good food cause I did eat good. But for a city with a high black population the few soil food spots I had sucked. Also I met a good amount of Jamaican people there. I met 3 Jamaicans before I met an AA
NYC got more soul food spots? I feel like that's uniquely southern, even LA doesn't really have a lot of soul food or BBQ spots

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Well, I know but different folks start at different places in life. He is a good dude that wants to work but comes from a struggle situation. His family is a drunk father and a dope fiend mom in the hood. His brother is more worried about beefing with nikkas and fighting with his bm. My friend made a mistake of dropping out of HS right before COVID but has almost finished his GED (tests were unavailable during COVID) and wants to get out. Maritime is one of those industries that people don't know about that takes the less educated and gives reasonably stable job with opportunity for fast promotion. Let me explain.

Being on a boat 6 months out of the year he will have all his food, accommodation, etc. paid for. The company also flies him to the boat crew change for free. So he is not making huge bank but the typical expense of a commute/car maintenance, food, living expenses (minus rent which he would still pay), utilities, are substantially less. He will only really pay for rent and car insurance regularly. It's like being able to bank the same amount as someone making 25-50% more in a regular job since at minimum he is paying 50% less on food and gas a year than the average person. I reviewed the insurance plans in his offers too and he is getting insurance the same or better than white collar jobs with reasonably low premiums and deductibles. Also because of his background he has zero debt so that is a silver lining.

Maritime is hurting for workers because anyone with a family or even a gf doesn't want to be gone on a hitch that is 28 days straight with no shore leave. When fast food is paying $20/hr people with families rather stay shoreside. Also they have a crewing problem because of the DOT drug test. My friend doesn't do drugs and has no personal relationships right now so he is fine with this. They are also so short crewed overtime is available so he is going to try to work 9 months per year for the first year or two if he can and effectively make $60k with three months off (though not consecutive) per year.

Second, maritime is low entrance but has opportunity for fast promotion. The companies he is getting offers from are often shipping petroleum products and he starts as a deckhand but in one to two years if he takes a course he can become a tankerman and make $60k. By his late 20s (he is 21 now) he could be an engineer making $80k or by late 20s/early 30s a captain making $100k , all without a college degree. Part of the reason for the high salaries is the Jones Act which is a US law that makes ships serving the US only required to hire all US citizen crews. So no foreign competition.

He actually has a forklift certification but for some reason the warehouses weren't feeling him like that. Probably because he was still working on his GED. They said no and three different maritime companies were like "when can you start?" So he wants to start making money :yeshrug:
Oh, this bruh only 2 years out of high-school?:ohhh:

He's good, then:obama:

Matter of fact, he's better than good with his background.

Tell the brother to keep his head up and don't let no bytch or his family get him off track

Stay on the grind, stack bread, & enjoy life.

I salute:salute: