Classics Discussion: Boogie Down Productions (BDP) & KRS-One

Which of these BDP and KRS-One albums are classic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
altho in terms of a boom bap resurgence I think Black Moon deserve more credit and they released first that year...

arel

lately ive been seeing girls wearing football kits
Daps
was instrumental in bringing attention back to East Coast hip-hop
AREL: (sceptically) hmmm
as the title suggests, literally brought back boom bap rap
it seems more like the last relevant throw of the dice for one particular flavour of boom bap
has timeless tracks and still relevant in subject matter esp. Sound of Da Police
so it has one track that ppl today know and most don't know its from return

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
AREL: (sceptically) hmmm

it seems more like the last relevant throw of the dice for one particular flavour of boom bap

that's not the only track but certainly the most prominent, and I feel most tracks are like that, esp. the really big ones

TROY...how many people gonna know that's off Mecca & The Soul Brother? I Used to Love HER is off Resurrection? etc.

i think it has enough factors or accumulation of factors in addition to quality to justify it being classic, but by no means is it as solidified as Criminal Minded for example

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
remember the first time I heard BDP, which was "South Bronx" in ninth grade.
So you were 14 in 1986? So you actually were cognizant for this time period? :ohhh:
So you were out clubbing in the early 90s too? :ohhh:
School me on its impact tho?
Impact shouldn't be a factor. All we should be taking about is whether it's still highly regarded ten years out.
Return was on the top 100 Source list in 98, that's enough for me. :yeshrug:
In any event, if you are considering impact, didn't you vote for every Scarface and UGK album? How do you justify that on impact?
:patrice:
suggests, literally brought back boom bap rap
So Sex and Violence the year prior wasn't boom Bap? What about Gangstarr and DITC in 92? These are the producers (Primo and Showbiz at least) that Kris went to for the "boom Bap".
seems more like the last relevant throw of the dice for one particular flavour of boom bap
What makes you say that?
that's not the only track but certainly the most prominent, and I feel most tracks are like that, esp. the really big ones

TROY...how many people gonna know that's off Mecca & The Soul Brother? I Used to Love HER is off Resurrection? etc.

i think it has enough factors or accumulation of factors in addition to quality to justify it being classic, but by no means is it as solidified as Criminal Minded for example
The core community (which is who we are supposed to be considering in making these decisions) absolutely knows that these songs are matched up with those albums.

arel

Daps
Impact shouldn't be a factor. All we should be taking about is whether it's still highly regarded ten years out.
In any event, if you are considering impact, didn't you vote for every Scarface and UGK album? How do you justify that on impact?

So Sex and Violence the year prior wasn't boom Bap? What about Gangstarr and DITC in 92? These are the producers (Primo and Showbiz at least) that Kris went to for the "boom Bap".

What makes you say that?

trying to respond to this multi-quote :deadmanny: lol

um.

well i didn't bring up impact. i just asked on it since it was mentioned (and i only questioned in the first place cos deck made the point before that quality wasn enough. also 98 ent too far removed from 93. poll that today n regardless of should not sure it would be held like that. think it been eclipsed by ny post 94 resurgence n now lost a little in the mist. en-ee-whey i voted for return same as i voted for everything i think has sufficient quality (no other factors considered). mebbe wrong but im not aware of anything that is essentially a dancehall boom bap album that came afterwards. can u point me to anything which follows on the path of return? to me its just a fully realised conclusion to the type of style kris had been playing with on like 9 mil goes bang.

arel

Daps

thank it easier to place them in time cos they sound of the period :yeshrug:

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
So you were 14 in 1986? So you actually were cognizant for this time period? :ohhh:
So you were out clubbing in the early 90s too? :ohhh:

What makes you say that?

The core community (which is who we are supposed to be considering in making these decisions) absolutely knows that these songs are matched up with those albums.

right, so in that case, Sound of Da Police should be associated with Return of the Boom Bap. I agree with you regarding core community, I was just addressing the dude's point about recognition.

I think boom bap is a little flexible in sound than given credit for. Premo's boom bap was very much jazz infused as was the early DITC stuff with horns.

But KRS' album was really stripped down and bare boned, even more so than Enta Da Stage, which had a lot more outside influences genre-wise. DITC then became even more 'boom bap' traditional, esp. Showbiz and AG with Goodfellas and Big L with his debut etc. But good point about the production on KRS' album and who he went to.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
what'd people think of Spiritual Minded?

I'm no where near religious but thought he dropped a solid joint with it. It wasn't overly preachy and it didn't feel like straight up christian rap album

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
trying to respond to this multi-quote :deadmanny: lol

um.

well i didn't bring up impact. i just asked on it since it was mentioned (and i only questioned in the first place cos deck made the point before that quality wasn enough. also 98 ent too far removed from 93. poll that today n regardless of should not sure it would be held like that. think it been eclipsed by ny post 94 resurgence n now lost a little in the mist. en-ee-whey i voted for return same as i voted for everything i think has sufficient quality (no other factors considered). mebbe wrong but im not aware of anything that is essentially a dancehall boom bap album that came afterwards. can u point me to anything which follows on the path of return? to me its just a fully realised conclusion to the type of style kris had been playing with on like 9 mil goes bang.
:lolbron:
Sorry if it was confusing.
My bad if you didn't originate the impact argument. I've been reading this threa in bits and pieces at different times so I guess I missed that.
I think the album is still held in high regard. Certainly at ten years which is the relevant measure of time in my opinion. Everything, eventually, is going to recede in prominence.
As for it being eclipsed by the 94 NY resurgence, I think what you are saying is true and was true in rea time.
It's been a minute since I listened to Return, not sure I'd describe it as a dancehall boom Bap album. Although that always has been a KRS trademark.
Which tracks off return have that flavor?

arel

Daps
:lolbron:
Sorry if it was confusing.
My bad if you didn't originate the impact argument. I've been reading this threa in bits and pieces at different times so I guess I missed that.
I think the album is still held in high regard. Certainly at ten years which is the relevant measure of time in my opinion. Everything, eventually, is going to recede in prominence.
As for it being eclipsed by the 94 NY resurgence, I think what you are saying is true and was true in rea time.
It's been a minute since I listened to Return, not sure I'd describe it as a dancehall boom Bap album. Although that always has been a KRS trademark.
Which tracks off return have that flavor?
i think all the stripped back tracks, e.g the whole run bar outta here and higher level, have dancehall feel but black cop, uh-oh, brown skin woman v. strong vybz cos of kris' delivery

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Criminal Minded, By All Means and Return of the Boom Bap

Bingo.

Specifically the first two...those are in the "your favorite rappers' favorite albums" tier.

I mean, you can listen to any cut on either of those and pick out samples a lot of people took later.
The other BDP albums people know the singles and not so much the deep tracks.

The you got Return, which is just a monumental album.
It was just as the title says a "return" - a return to KRS being a hardcore MC,
taking a break from "teaching", if you will. And c'mon - KRS & Premo.

"Mad Crew", "Black Cop" and "P Is Still Free" wasn't even singles, but they got hella burn like they were.
I remember they played "I Can't Wake Up" on an episode of Law & Order when they kicked in somebodies' door.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness

as the title suggests, literally brought back boom bap rap

has timeless tracks and still relevant in subject matter esp. Sound of Da Police

I'm gonna go out as far as saying Return Of The Boom Bap might be the Genesis of "Boom-Bap" that we have come to know and love.

I say this because...If most people talk about the Boom Bap Era today, most often they're talmbat Wu, Nas, Mobb Deep, etc.
But Return is really the first major album that was that hard-kick, acoustic bass, 80-90 BPM, cold weather, NY sound.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Return Of The Boom Bap was an amazing album, go and look at the tracklist on that shyt, better still play it, fresh and ill to this day.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Album was also in 93, it was before a lot of shyt and had Premo producing etc, isn't this some of Premo's early most famous work outside of Gang Starr? And later Nas and Big etc would commission Preme to do similar on their shyt.