Clarks in Jamaica

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT.

Walters is also starting to reap the benefits of a style he devised. He’s now working with Bally, the Swiss luxury firm he name-checked in his 1985 breakout hit with Doug. E Fresh, “La Di Da Di,” and wore a red pair on the cover of his first album, “The Great Adventures of Slick Rick.” To celebrate the 30th anniversary of that classic piece of work, Bally hosted a party at its Beverly Hills flagship on Rodeo Drive. “Who would’ve thought decades later, I’d be taking over the Bally store on Rodeo Dr.,” tweeted Walters, who took pictures from a throne wearing a customized Bally eye patch, shirt, tank top and sneakers.
slick-rick-bally.jpg

Slick Rick at Bally store in Los Angeles.

Walters first discovered Bally shoes in the Seventies and still describes the moment with wonder and specificity. He spotted them on a man in the West Village who was older than him, but still young. They were gray suede slip-ons with white stitching. It was the kind of shoe Walters presumed rich people wore with a robe or on the tennis court. He made note of the style and ended up purchasing his first pair of navy blue Bally slip-ons during high school in the early Eighties.

“The Village was up on fashion faster than anybody,” said Walters. “I found most of my fashion influence from gay minorities that lived uptown but traveled back and forth. This guy was wearing them before the Jamaicans started wearing them. It was just astonishing because people were still wearing Pumas and Pro-Keds. Once you see something you keep it in your mind and then you go for it. We all ran for that s–t.”
Dope find.

truth2you

All Star
Daps
YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT.

Walters is also starting to reap the benefits of a style he devised. He’s now working with Bally, the Swiss luxury firm he name-checked in his 1985 breakout hit with Doug. E Fresh, “La Di Da Di,” and wore a red pair on the cover of his first album, “The Great Adventures of Slick Rick.” To celebrate the 30th anniversary of that classic piece of work, Bally hosted a party at its Beverly Hills flagship on Rodeo Drive. “Who would’ve thought decades later, I’d be taking over the Bally store on Rodeo Dr.,” tweeted Walters, who took pictures from a throne wearing a customized Bally eye patch, shirt, tank top and sneakers.
slick-rick-bally.jpg

Slick Rick at Bally store in Los Angeles.

Walters first discovered Bally shoes in the Seventies and still describes the moment with wonder and specificity. He spotted them on a man in the West Village who was older than him, but still young. They were gray suede slip-ons with white stitching. It was the kind of shoe Walters presumed rich people wore with a robe or on the tennis court. He made note of the style and ended up purchasing his first pair of navy blue Bally slip-ons during high school in the early Eighties.

“The Village was up on fashion faster than anybody,” said Walters. “I found most of my fashion influence from gay minorities that lived uptown but traveled back and forth. This guy was wearing them before the Jamaicans started wearing them. It was just astonishing because people were still wearing Pumas and Pro-Keds. Once you see something you keep it in your mind and then you go for it. We all ran for that s–t.”
So they were ballys!

I don't think the ones I had were ballys. This is fukking with my head, I gotta find the name of them shyts. iirc they were italian

They were similar to the ones Charlie Brown had on the l.o.n.s. album cover, but mine was hitop. Maybe they were ballys? I can't remember because by the time the 90's came i was into sneakers, and boots
51AiDVmXoNL._SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

In celebration of the mini-documentary’s release and his near-lifelong love for Clarks Originals, Slick Rick sat down for a short-but-sweet exclusive Q&A. See what the Ruler had to say below.

HYPEBEAST: What did Clarks Originals mean to you growing up in London and then the Bronx?

Slick Rick: I remember seeing a Clarks commercial called “Average Boy” and the connection was instantaneous. That specific ad spoke directly to my fashion spirit, even as a youngster. Then I migrated from Mitcham Surrey to New York (specifically The Bronx) where I was surrounded by Jamaicans wearing Wallys. This just solidified my love affair with the brand.

Do you recall getting your first pair?

Yes. Circa 1982, low top Wallabees in black suede! Now that I think about it, that’s almost 40 years ago …

Talk about the influence Clarks Originals has had on hip-hop style. Why have they been such a constant?

Hip Hop introduced Clarks to the world on a global scale. For me, the shoes are personal and my canvas feeds off the shoe. Clarks symbolizes comfort, yet at the same time they represent class and style — synonymous to the energy of what real hip hop is all about.

Wallabees and Desert Boots have always been a constant because they provide versatility. On a deeper level, I feel that the Wallabee is an extension of my persona, personality, purpose and my energy. Laid back, fly, comfortable and original! The Clarks brand is almost 200 years old, the longevity and integrity of the brand is unequivocally undeniable, original, and speaks for itself.

Why is the Wallabee such a great canvas for customization?

Its structure, baseline and form can be enhanced in many, many ways, [ranging] from prints to textures and colors. I love to dye, paint, refurbish, add to, or subtract from the shoe to reflect and express how I am feeling. When I wear my custom Wallys and folks see me, they know that heritage and upscale is in the building.

Storytelling has always been a key component of your music. Clarks are often shoes with a story as well. Why is storytelling so important in music and product?

Storytelling is life’s journey. It’s the ultimate form of art, be it visually or aurally. Storytelling is productivity. Storytelling allows both the creator and the listener to escape. Storytelling massages the mind and brain cells, heightens the senses and feeds what I like to call the entertainment chakra, AKA the soul. And everyone loves a great story!

Describe the Wallabee in one word.

Timeless!

Last edited:

posterchild336

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
clarks were for english military back in the day....they are too comfortable i am surprised to see these uncomfortable comments when the one of the biggest pro's of clarks is the comfort....I have a collection of all types of shoes by my clarks collection is my favorite..i have so many i havent even worn before and had for years but perfect with any outfit or occasion