Clarks in Jamaica

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Like a lot of aspirational things...once you finally get it and really check...it's overrated as hell.

- zero arch support in the originals
- no way in hell you coulda kept those jelly soles clean, especially if you livin' in badman borders
- when they finally changed up on the soles decades later, they'd crack if/when you trod too hard and bent them too far
- the money sported Bally anyway...and even that was meh in the final analysis

:lolbron: @ Travel Fox
:ohhh:Travel fox still selling...

8AF19C25BA472E1A34895B566591272F2089DDB8_400x.jpg

Caca-faat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Kgn 876
Growing up in Jamaica the ppl I saw the most wearing Clarkes were the militant rasta men. Those that wore turbans for their locks, a khaki suit that was the cleanest most well pressed that you've ever seen adorned with Hailie Selassie badges. These men ( think capleton and sizzla ) never wore Jean's and a tshirt but always wore a pair of dessert Clark's with the central seam.

truth2you

All Star
Daps
Growing up in Jamaica the ppl I saw the most wearing Clarkes were the militant rasta men. Those that wore turbans for their locks, a khaki suit that was the cleanest most well pressed that you've ever seen adorned with Hailie Selassie badges. These men ( think capleton and sizzla ) never wore Jean's and a tshirt but always wore a pair of dessert Clark's with the central seam.
What's crazy is I'm from Flatbush Brooklyn, and know exactly what you saying. Never wore jeans, loved the button ups. I used to love to just talk with the rastas, then we puff then the rapping and singing starts, everybody in the cipher got busy

I guess growing up in Flatbush I experienced every culture from American, Latin, West Indian. It's crazy I can tell you about each culture, without needing to go to every country. Good times!

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Shoe experts, was Slick Rick wearing Clarks on the album cover here?

adventures-slick-rick.jpg
Look like Bally’s to me
:ehh:

Always felt that those were Bally’s. Can’t really tell now that I look closer. Knowing Rick it’s either or.
I don't think those are Clark's, I had some like that, but I can't remember what they were called. That shoe was the style for a few years, I wish I could remember the name!

Rick was about his Bally shyt.

YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT.

Walters is also starting to reap the benefits of a style he devised. He’s now working with Bally, the Swiss luxury firm he name-checked in his 1985 breakout hit with Doug. E Fresh, “La Di Da Di,” and wore a red pair on the cover of his first album, “The Great Adventures of Slick Rick.” To celebrate the 30th anniversary of that classic piece of work, Bally hosted a party at its Beverly Hills flagship on Rodeo Drive. “Who would’ve thought decades later, I’d be taking over the Bally store on Rodeo Dr.,” tweeted Walters, who took pictures from a throne wearing a customized Bally eye patch, shirt, tank top and sneakers.
slick-rick-bally.jpg

slick-rick-bally.jpg

Slick Rick at Bally store in Los Angeles.

Walters first discovered Bally shoes in the Seventies and still describes the moment with wonder and specificity. He spotted them on a man in the West Village who was older than him, but still young. They were gray suede slip-ons with white stitching. It was the kind of shoe Walters presumed rich people wore with a robe or on the tennis court. He made note of the style and ended up purchasing his first pair of navy blue Bally slip-ons during high school in the early Eighties.

“The Village was up on fashion faster than anybody,” said Walters. “I found most of my fashion influence from gay minorities that lived uptown but traveled back and forth. This guy was wearing them before the Jamaicans started wearing them. It was just astonishing because people were still wearing Pumas and Pro-Keds. Once you see something you keep it in your mind and then you go for it. We all ran for that s–t.”

Last edited: