Clark Atlanta University sets record for student applications with over 45,000, more than the University of Georgia.

TheKongoEmpire

A Wilsonian Garveyite
Daps
Reppin
The Original Man and the First Gods
Have you gone to an HBCU?

A Common issue is HBCUs let in more students than they can handle and you have issues with Students arriving with no housing. It was a big thing when. I was in school and I don't know if things have changed since then.
I've heard that administrations at hbchs are something left to be desired.

Daps
When they gonna get a football stadium with 2 sides? And that red field is UGLY.

seems like the exact type of spending that would have HBCUs set back given their losing streak.
meanwhile the mens basketball and womens tennis are the SIAC champions and runner up respectively.

72nt.gif

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
This is great news. Hopefully they can use these application numbers to get more funding and get more seats for all these folks applying.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
It’s nice but a double edged sword. For one, how many of them were paid applications? I know for a fact because my son just graduated that a lot of application fees get waived and students apply for the sake of it or at the request of a counselor all while having no true consideration of matriculating there. Even the Ivy League schools do it to drive down their acceptance rates to appear increasingly prestigious.

However, this is still good news because HBCUs still end up nabbing quality students by offering full rides.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
I'm curious to know how many of the applicants are black men.
I am as well. Last year NC A&T said they'd had 45,000 applicants too. That story was believable. A&T is the largest HBCU in the country and have been planning and making moves in that direction for some time now.

I believe Clark only has around 1500 students, and I haven't seen any major initiatives coming out of there in terms of trying to attract more students. Haven't heard any major plans for growth. So I gotta wonder what makes Clark so appealing all of a sudden. Then when I see the same 45,000 number I have to wonder. If the article had said 10,000 or 15,000 it would've been easier to believe.

Daps
I believe Clark only has around 1500 students, and I haven't seen any major initiatives coming out of there in terms of trying to attract more students. Haven't heard any major plans for growth. So I gotta wonder what makes Clark so appealing all of a sudden.

He says CAU is one of just eleven HBCUs with an endowment of over $100 million, and enrollment is now up to 4,200.

72nt.gif

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Have you gone to an HBCU?

A Common issue is HBCUs let in more students than they can handle and you have issues with Students arriving with no housing. It was a big thing when. I was in school and I don't know if things have changed since then.
Not to mention they known for fukking up your financial aid. Not sure if that's due to the amount of students or just incompetence though
Like 5 dudes from my HS went to Morehouse cause they had a thing where if you scored over 1200 on SATs it was basically guaranteed to get in. I got in but couldn't afford it, them dudes went down there and after 1 semester 4 of them had to come back to philly because the financial aid got fukked up somehow and they were going have to cover the costs until the school figured it out
Last year Howard had a whole thing of kids not having housing, mofos literally sleeping in tents on the yard. And these are top of the line HBCUs not cheyney or some other random unknown HBCU. Hopefully the increase in students leads to more endowment or something and they get their act together

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Not to mention they known for fukking up your financial aid. Not sure if that's due to the amount of students or just incompetence though
Like 5 dudes from my HS went to Morehouse cause they had a thing where if you scored over 1200 on SATs it was basically guaranteed to get in. I got in but couldn't afford it, them dudes went down there and after 1 semester 4 of them had to come back to philly because the financial aid got fukked up somehow and they were going have to cover the costs until the school figured it out
Last year Howard had a whole thing of kids not having housing, mofos literally sleeping in tents on the yard. And these are top of the line HBCUs not cheyney or some other random unknown HBCU. Hopefully the increase in students leads to more endowment or something and they get their act together

thats the issue with Private HBCUS they cost os damn much that Federal Aid barely makes a dent so folks have to find ways to pay from all sorts of places and potential staff incompetence at the HBCU is the icing on the cake.

With State Schools the reliance on private funding isn't as huge so while they have issues it's not a majority of students. I was Low Income but Good Grades so All my Financial Aid was Federal so I literally didn't have to interact with the Financial Aid office outside of initial applications.