Clarence Thomas rebukes Brown v. Board of Education ruling, saying, "it was a serious overreach"

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
This was telegraphed by the far right legal community years ago and now Thomas is recognizing it in court. The same way they're telegraphing support for overturning Loving v Virginia in order the lay the groundwork for challenging gay marriage laws. These people show you their hand years and even decades in advance. It's up to you give a shyt.

If people don't vote...fine, whatever. I will spend zero time telling anyone to vote for Biden. I will simply state that I vote because of shyt like this. Because it's very clear that one party is hell bent on stacking as many white, racist, misogynist, anti-gay, pro child labor, etc judges on the courts as possible in order to create domino effects that end in things like...well, what we saw with Roe v Wade. There's a clear path to replacing Thomas and Alito, both of whom are older and may die. And Roberts suffers from seizures and may retire early for health reasons.
How come I never hear people call for dems to be proactive about shyt, why is it always the voter fault

citizens don’t vote for the courts, what have dems been doing all these years for the courts to be like this

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
How come I never hear people call for dems to be proactive about shyt, why is it always the voter fault

citizens don’t vote for the courts, what have dems been doing all these years for the courts to be like this

Because voters have a lot of say in how they choose to live in this country

The Frontline documentary on him talks about his upbringing and why he is the way he is. They even interviewed his friends growing up who corroborated a lot of the things said.

The basic gist is
  • Growing up among black folks in the south, he faced a lot of colorism. He was very bitter and resentful about being hated on for his dark skin by other members of his own race
  • He goes to college dabbles in the black power movement briefly. Not so c00nish yet
  • His origin story into super c00nery seems to have started after graduating law school. This is not too long after civil rights and despite it being illegal to racial discriminate in hiring, the top white law firms pass him over and he has trouble finding work to match what he believes he deserves.
  • Instead of reasonably assuming that even though the laws has changed, whites who only a few years ago were able to blatantly discriminate against him are still racist and exclusionary as fukk and directing his anger at them, he blames affirmative action because he thinks it's the sole reason they will not give him the respect he deserves.
The rest is history from that point. Also, once republican power brokers started giving him gifts and giving him the lifestyle he felt he deserved in the 90s, that became his only motivation. So now he is a bought and paid for c00n for the rich republicans. That's it.

The only lesson for black people I do think they should learn from his story is that, colorism and the way we treat each other in our formative years does impact a lot of people's self esteem for the rest of their lives. I don't think it's as bad as it used to be but we should treat each other better in this regard.

Man, for the people in the fukking back, please for the love of god understand this shyt. Despite my personal beliefs, there's a reason I treat our people as gracious as possible. You just don't know what a mfer goes through/going through and chastising a mfer for shyt outside they control...

It ain't never about "coddling" it's about recognizing a man's humanity.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Because voters have a lot of say in how they choose to live in this country

Man, for the people in the fukking back, please for the love of god understand this shyt. Despite my personal beliefs, there's a reason I treat our people as gracious as possible. You just don't know what a mfer goes through/going through and chastising a mfer for shyt outside they control...

It ain't never about "coddling" it's about recognizing a man's humanity.
You sure voters got a say, black people supposedly saved biden election and we got awarded with the shut down of AA, and nobody from that side said shyt about it or even got a gameplan on how to correct it

Like do yall understand what that means for us, cause dems damn sure should know but they acting like they cool with the shyt

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
So the evidence shows that the Democrats could have kept him out of office, but 11 Democrats decided to vote yes on him, giving the Republicans the numbers they needed to place this poison pill on to the Supreme Court.

We as a people have to see the entire picture and not just the picture we are told to pay attention to. If the Democrats were of one accord on the issue of his candidacy, Clarence Thomas would have never been a Supreme Court Justice. They had the numbers to deep six his him, but again 11 choose not to. There is a lesson in this for us, and I suggest the lesson is that those who are suppose to represent our interests need to be vetted better than what we have been doing in the past. We can't just assume that a D next to the name means that person actually represents the desires of the people they claim to want to serve. So more needs to be done than just voting Blue no matter Who.

To be fair, they probably didn't know how bad he was going to be and didn't want to catch flak for blocking a black justice.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Democratic Chairman Certified taught us he was a black militant and seperatist.

"By consensus, Thomas is the most conservative member of the Court. So it’s surprising that the central theme of his jurisprudence is race. When he was nearly forty years old, just four years shy of his appointment to the Court, Thomas set out the foundations of his vision in a profile in The Atlantic. “There is nothing you can do to get past black skin,” he said. “I don’t care how educated you are, how good you are at what you do—you’ll never have the same contacts or opportunities, you’ll never be seen as equal to whites.” This was no momentary indiscretion; it was the distillation of a lifetime of learning, which began in the segregated precincts of Savannah, during the nineteen-fifties, and continued through his college years, in the sixties. On the Court, Thomas continues to believe—and to argue, in opinion after opinion—that race matters; that racism is a constant, ineradicable feature of American life; and that the only hope for black people lies within themselves, not as individuals but as a separate community with separate institutions, apart from white people."

This seems to be in line with his old beliefs. Maybe he is using his power to make his vision come true.i agree with his stance in the bolded,not sure how you could possibly disagree.

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
I wonder if @Rakim Allah feels that his non voting practices have a similar overreaching impact that Thomas is describing here or if his strategy of
disenfranchising himself impacts the political maneuvering of the supreme court justices and their rulings :jbhmm:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

The issue isn't that the current situation is bad per se. The issue is that presidents appoint federal judges, including Supreme Court judges. They're voted on by the senate and generally pass, although in recent years the process has become more partisan. Here's what this looks like in practice:
(the Biden numbers are outdated. He has passed 200 appointments)

There are active federal judges right now who were appointed by Reagan in the 1980s. So when you see that Trump number for instance....most of those judges will be around for 40 or 50 years, actively working against the interests of black people, while also building a body of work that might get some of them nominated for the Supreme Court one day. Which means that a president's influence and power can have long reaching consequences over decades of our lives by changing how lows are interpreted, who benefits from them, and who doesn't benefit from them.

My point is simple: I'd rather have democrats appointing justices than republicans. Democrats have appointed more judges since the 1990s and I'd like to keep it that way. The republican response to this has been to ensure their judges funnel as many cases up to the Supreme Court as possible, where conservatives have an advantage/majority. Which is how you end up with things like the Voting Rights Act getting slowly shredded over the last decade, or how the Brown v Board and the Civil Rights Act might slowly be shredded in the (near) future. I'd rather appoint judges who will protect those things (and others) for the next 40-50 years. Like I said I will not tell people who to vote for. I'm merely stating why I vote, and why it's important.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
To be fair, they probably didn't know how bad he was going to be and didn't want to catch flak for blocking a black justice.
Sorry, the majority of the Democrats knew better. I am not going to give those 11 who voted him in any leeway or consideration on this.

Rakim Allah

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I wonder if @Rakim Allah feels that his non voting practices have a similar overreaching impact that Thomas is describing here or if his strategy of
disenfranchising himself impacts the political maneuvering of the supreme court justices and their rulings :jbhmm:
I wonder what the white supremacist party that you voted for are doing about it, friend.:sas1:

Wonder about other grown men coli posters out the blue, Del Monte friends.:dame: