Cinemablend's Top 30 Superhero Movie List

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
I got the first part of what you're saying but you lost me at the end. It's been a day so my bad for that but what do you mean?

What I'm saying is.... without taking a shot at TDK. Yes I did love that series but the things the made it successful were also its greatest weaknesses too. Their essentially Crime Movies with minor comic book elements

Like its cool but its tone was so "real world".... I mean that movie couldve been about some generic created vigilante and it still wouldve been a great series.... its almost like the fact that its based off a comic book character almost came as an after thought.

Also with that tone and style the limits are; now you cant have superpowered beings, you cant have gods, you cant have mutants, you cant have aliens, you cant have spirits, you cant have deities because its sooooooo grounded in reality and in reality those things dont exist.

So in Nolan's world fukk superman.... shyt Shazam doesnt exist, Bale would never face Man Bat or Solomon Grundy or Killer Croc or Poison Ivy with her mutated plants. Any other villain in his catolog that is more than a human..... would never see the face or day.

Thats one of the main things I will give SS its props in. With the introduction of the Croc guy and the mystic final bosses. I love that now EARLY they letting us know "oh in our world there are no caps or limits to the beings, everything is accessible from Gods, Devils, Spirits, Aliens, Mutants, etc Its a fukking COMIC BOOK movie 1st. Not a crime movie with comic book themes

Hopefully that makes sense

Martha

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
What I'm saying is.... without taking a shot at TDK. Yes I did love that series but the things the made it successful were also its greatest weaknesses too. Their essentially Crime Movies with minor comic book elements

Like its cool but its tone was so "real world".... I mean that movie couldve been about some generic created vigilante and it still wouldve been a great series.... its almost like the fact that its based off a comic book character almost came as an after thought.

Also with that tone and style the limits are; now you cant have superpowered beings, you cant have gods, you cant have mutants, you cant have aliens, you cant have spirits, you cant have deities because its sooooooo grounded in reality and in reality those things dont exist.

So in Nolan's world fukk superman.... shyt Shazam doesnt exist, Bale would never face Man Bat or Solomon Grundy or Killer Croc or Poison Ivy with her mutated plants. Any other villain in his catolog that is more than a human..... would never see the face or day.

Thats one of the main things I will give SS its props in. With the introduction of the Croc guy and the mystic final bosses. I love that now EARLY they letting us know "oh in our world there are no caps or limits to the beings, everything is accessible from Gods, Devils, Spirits, Aliens, Mutants, etc Its a fukking COMIC BOOK movie 1st. Not a crime movie with comic book themes

Hopefully that makes sense

Martha

Ah okay. Well counterpoint: Not all comic books are created with the idea of being comic books in that kid sense. Batman was created as a pulp book first and foremost, which lends itself to crime movies and crime stories. Finger was a fan of the shadow and sherlock holmes so they were the direct inspiration for batman. Watchmen is also a comic book but it's not trying to be kiddie. Same with a lot of things from the Vertigo line DC used to have or the same with something like Kraven's Last Hunt. Comic books don't have to be just for kids or have certain elements to qualify as comic books. You do what you gotta do in service of the character and hope it works.

If that means you don't do something like Killer Croc because it doesn't work in the world you've established, then cool. Certain writers don't include certain characters because they don't work in their books and what they're doing in their books. Or if they do bring them in, they adapt the character to fit the world, not the other way around. I guess we're looking at this from two different sides actually. I don't think the term comic book means it has to have certain things and you're saying it does, which is fair

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
Ah okay. Well counterpoint: Not all comic books are created with the idea of being comic books in that kid sense. Batman was created as a pulp book first and foremost, which lends itself to crime movies and crime stories. Finger was a fan of the shadow and sherlock holmes so they were the direct inspiration for batman. Watchmen is also a comic book but it's not trying to be kiddie. Same with a lot of things from the Vertigo line DC used to have or the same with something like Kraven's Last Hunt. Comic books don't have to be just for kids or have certain elements to qualify as comic books. You do what you gotta do in service of the character and hope it works.

If that means you don't do something like Killer Croc because it doesn't work in the world you've established, then cool. Certain writers don't include certain characters because they don't work in their books and what they're doing in their books. Or if they do bring them in, they adapt the character to fit the world, not the other way around. I guess we're looking at this from two different sides actually. I don't think the term comic book means it has to have certain things and you're saying it does, which is fair

I see... I guess when I think COMIC BOOK movies.... I think of a world without boundaries and I go in fully prepared and aware that I can suspend my disbelief. I can watch a man/woman fly or see someone run faster than a train or pick up a tank like a basketball or have different colored skin and be like "ok this is real for this world"

But I do feel you on the "writers do this for this story and eliminate that for this" I still feel like it limits it but I can respect it.

I do wanna talk about the kiddie thing and I feel that the Marvel movies get a bad knock for that for no reason and I dont get it. I mean I do, I know cats use it for agendas but I find it silly.

Like there IS a difference from straight up KIDDIE MOVIES and movies where KIDS CAN COME SEE. I think ALL the Marvel movies fall under the latter. No difference from say a BACK TO THE FUTURE or Star Wars, which are movies that are trying to reach all ages.

I look at kiddie movies more like the (going back to when we were kids) Mary Poppins, Parent Trap and Willy Wonka, and etc..... They werent going after adults and hoping kids would tag along, they clearly wanted children

I think if we aint trolling, we or anyone claiming they are "casual" or in the middle need to be careful with how they are trying to articulate that and know the differences

Martha

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I see... I guess when I think COMIC BOOK movies.... I think of a world without boundaries and I go in fully prepared and aware that I can suspend my disbelief. I can watch a man/woman fly or see someone run faster than a train or pick up a tank like a basketball or have different colored skin and be like "ok this is real for this world"

But I do feel you on the "writers do this for this story and eliminate that for this" I still feel like it limits it but I can respect it.

I do wanna talk about the kiddie thing and I feel that the Marvel movies get a bad knock for that for no reason and I dont get it. I mean I do, I know cats use it for agendas but I find it silly.

Like there IS a difference from straight up KIDDIE MOVIES and movies where KIDS CAN COME SEE. I think ALL the Marvel movies fall under the latter. No difference from say a BACK TO THE FUTURE or Star Wars, which are movies that are trying to reach all ages.

I look at kiddie movies more like the (going back to when we were kids) Mary Poppins, Parent Trap and Willy Wonka, and etc..... They werent going after adults and hoping kids would tag along, they clearly wanted children

I think if we aint trolling, we or anyone claiming they are "casual" or in the middle need to be careful with how they are trying to articulate that and know the differences

Martha

Well see i don't mean kiddie in the sense of willy wonka or mary poppins (which i do believe wanted to appeal to all audiences like most marvel flicks) but more in the sense of Ice Age or Trolls. And that's not knocking the quality of those flicks, just using them as examples for difference in presentation and tone. Cats on here and other places on the net will probably knock it because they do want something more adult and that's not wrong at all but it's also not entirely possible. Like every movie can't be Logan but you can create rules in your world that you've created and abide by those rules. That's why I give dark knight rises such a hard time because he completely threw his rules out the window, seemingly just because. Most people, at the end of the day, want a product that appeals to them and only them; it's part of our selfishness as humans lol so there's a reason some in their late 20s and 30s and up would prefer something like Logan or The Dark Knight. It just comes down to preference breh, nothing more nothing less. You gotta rock with what speaks to you and if that style speaks to you, then cool. If you prefer Ant-Man to those two, then that's also cool. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to it. I like something as silly as the phantom or something as serious as Logan. Guardians of the galaxy is one of my favorite comic book flicks as is the dark knight and i don't think either one of them suffer for not being able to live in the world the other inhabits.

But back to the whole kiddie thing, its like i told you the other day about not all comic books being about super heroes. Saga isn't a superhero book and its dark and beautiful and at times, fukked up. There's nothing inherently comic about it save for the pages its printed on.

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
Well see i don't mean kiddie in the sense of willy wonka or mary poppins (which i do believe wanted to appeal to all audiences like most marvel flicks) but more in the sense of Ice Age or Trolls. And that's not knocking the quality of those flicks, just using them as examples for difference in presentation and tone. Cats on here and other places on the net will probably knock it because they do want something more adult and that's not wrong at all but it's also not entirely possible. Like every movie can't be Logan but you can create rules in your world that you've created and abide by those rules. That's why I give dark knight rises such a hard time because he completely threw his rules out the window, seemingly just because. Most people, at the end of the day, want a product that appeals to them and only them; it's part of our selfishness as humans lol so there's a reason some in their late 20s and 30s and up would prefer something like Logan or The Dark Knight. It just comes down to preference breh, nothing more nothing less. You gotta rock with what speaks to you and if that style speaks to you, then cool. If you prefer Ant-Man to those two, then that's also cool. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to it. I like something as silly as the phantom or something as serious as Logan. Guardians of the galaxy is one of my favorite comic book flicks as is the dark knight and i don't think either one of them suffer for not being able to live in the world the other inhabits.

But back to the whole kiddie thing, its like i told you the other day about not all comic books being about super heroes. Saga isn't a superhero book and its dark and beautiful and at times, fukked up. There's nothing inherently comic about it save for the pages its printed on.

Personally for me.... I guess when it comes to the selfishness..... my main thing is I guess I just want something as close to what I used to read or watch on tv but with real people. I like Logan and I live TDK series..... but the Batman in TDK isnt the same guy in Batman the Animated series or Justice League or Justice League Unlimited or the great animated DC films that have dropped over the years. It doesnt matter to me that "ETC Writer" wrote "this particular ONE SHOT" of this character, in the end only one version of this character is universal, thats the one I grew to love and thats the one I want to see

I just want my comic book movies to be as true to themselves as they can. I can appreciate and give props when they do stray. And when there are great they are great, I have no problem with acknowledging that. But when something drops thats very good and can be true to itself and give me what I watched or read (because thats ultimately how I became a fan in the first place or got familiar with). Then I cant help but hold that one a little higher than the one that took a chance going the route of the "ONE SHOT"

Martha

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Personally for me.... I guess when it comes to the selfishness..... my main thing is I guess I just want something as close to what I used to read or watch on tv but with real people. I like Logan and I live TDK series..... but the Batman in TDK isnt the same guy in Batman the Animated series or Justice League or Justice League Unlimited or the great animated DC films that have dropped over the years. It doesnt matter to me that "ETC Writer" wrote "this particular ONE SHOT" of this character, in the end only one version of this character is universal, thats the one I grew to love and thats the one I want to see

I just want my comic book movies to be as true to themselves as they can. I can appreciate and give props when they do stray. And when there are great they are great, I have no problem with acknowledging that. But when something drops thats very good and can be true to itself and give me what I watched or read (because thats ultimately how I became a fan in the first place or got familiar with). Then I cant help but hold that one a little higher than the one that took a chance going the route of the "ONE SHOT"

Martha

But there's the rub. There is no "definitive" version of batman for the sense of it being absolute. The book I have on batman and fandom speaks to that. For the people who started reading the first issues batman is one way. For the people who came on when robin got introduced he's another way. For fans in the 70s he's a different way. Same in the 80s and 90s and so on and so on. There are things about him that are definite but batman, like most comic book characters, is adapted for the time he's in and constantly rebooted in one way or another. Even batman from the animated series was a diversion from what was originally created. It takes more inspiration from batman of the 70s meaning it left 40 years of shyt in the bushes. And Bruce timm's batman, as great as he is, will still be missing something that someone else will want.

And even his creation is a one shot. That's his interpretation of batman, picking and choosing different things from continuity that he wanted and ignoring others. And even he switched it up after a while. So like you said it's always going to go back to what you liked and loved as a kid. That's real shyt. It's why our favorite music is the shyt we grew up on. Or our favorite movies are the ones we watched as kids. Or why some of us still believe family matters is a good show. First impressions become everlasting breh.

On the flip side, the '94 spider man show should be my favorite animated spider man and pierce brosnan should be my favorite bond but they aren't lol.

Bryan Danielson

Daps
Reppin
But there's the rub. There is no "definitive" version of batman for the sense of it being absolute. The book I have on batman and fandom speaks to that. For the people who started reading the first issues batman is one way. For the people who came on when robin got introduced he's another way. For fans in the 70s he's a different way. Same in the 80s and 90s and so on and so on. There are things about him that are definite but batman, like most comic book characters, is adapted for the time he's in and constantly rebooted in one way or another. Even batman from the animated series was a diversion from what was originally created. It takes more inspiration from batman of the 70s meaning it left 40 years of shyt in the bushes. And Bruce timm's batman, as great as he is, will still be missing something that someone else will want.

And even his creation is a one shot. That's his interpretation of batman, picking and choosing different things from continuity that he wanted and ignoring others. And even he switched it up after a while. So like you said it's always going to go back to what you liked and loved as a kid. That's real shyt. It's why our favorite music is the shyt we grew up on. Or our favorite movies are the ones we watched as kids. Or why some of us still believe family matters is a good show. First impressions become everlasting breh.

On the flip side, the '94 spider man show should be my favorite animated spider man and pierce brosnan should be my favorite bond but they aren't lol.

I do agree with that.... there is no definitive version.

But when it comes to movies and if youre trynna create this big picture. Now a days you gotta make sure you choose wisely. I think this is the problem with Superman, they need to stop fukking with him and just give the people what they know and love and are familiar with.

Speaking of on the flipside..... for all the negs I get from the DC stans and the flack I get. I grew up constantly watching and loving the REEVES Superman and I should be a DC stan. Like I loved EVERY ONE Superman 1-4 and Keaton Batman were my favs

If its a saturday afternoon and Superman 1, 2 or 4 came on TBS.... I probably would watch anyone of them from start to finish. If BB came on TNT I probably wouldnt watch, anytime TDK or TDKR comes on TNT...... occasionally I may turn just to see if a particular scene is on and it is I watch, if not I turn

Martha

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I do agree with that.... there is no definitive version.

But when it comes to movies and if youre trynna create this big picture. Now a days you gotta make sure you choose wisely. I think this is the problem with Superman, they need to stop fukking with him and just give the people what they know and love and are familiar with.

Speaking of on the flipside..... for all the negs I get from the DC stans and the flack I get. I grew up constantly watching and loving the REEVES Superman and I should be a DC stan. Like I loved EVERY ONE Superman 1-4 and Keaton Batman were my favs

If its a saturday afternoon and Superman 1, 2 or 4 came on TBS.... I probably would watch anyone of them from start to finish. If BB came on TNT I probably wouldnt watch, anytime TDK or TDKR comes on TNT...... occasionally I may turn just to see if a particular scene is on and it is I watch, if not I turn

Martha

:picard: superman 3 and 4? Yeah you are a fan Lord have mercy:russ: them shyts are on Netflix now and I can't even bring myself to put them in my watch list