TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Friday, wait for the crowd to go wild!

Good luck with that, breh! If it weren't for the movie being loud as fukk, you could probably hear a pin drop because audience reaction was all but zero throughout the entire movie. Some dude tried to start an applause after it ended which lasted all but two claps before dying off.

You're lying through your crooked, yellow teeth

No, I'm not you peasant. :ducreux:
:ooh:You watched it already?

Yup. Here's some mostly spoiler-free pointers below:

The movie is weirdly silent for the first ten minutes or so. I'm talking a beach full of soldiers who have to dive for an incoming bomber and you literally hear no noise from them, no screams or shouts whatsoever. It's weird because the rest of the movie is basically built on sound (and becomes the movie's most outstanding feature), so why it takes nearly fifteen minutes for the first background extras to start making some sounds is beyond me.

I also am not sure why Nolan decided to open the movie with the main character trying to find a quiet place to take a poop.

The aerial shots look amazing and the air battles overall are pretty much the only good part of the movie. This and the sound is pretty much the only thing I will give Nolan props for. Everything else really just looks like a History Channel tv movie with a higher budget and better photography.

Btw, there are no Nazis in this movie.

I'm serious about that. Unless you want to count the five German planes or so, two blurry silhouettes towards the end of the movie are literally the only visible representation of the German army in the entire movie.

Matter of fact, the opening title card distinctively mentions the French and British troops but refers to the German army as simply "the enemy", and the more I think about this the more I realize this might be the safest politically correct bullshyt I've ever seen in a WWII movie. People who whined about Hacksaw Ridge's supposed "jingoism" will probably rub their hands in glee at Nolan's dedication to not upset Nazi-sympathizers.

There's a dramatic turn (or attempt to) about midway in the movie which is laughably bad. It caught me off guard so bad I would have burst out laughing if I wasn't so utterly dumb-founded by the fact this made it into the movie. I will spoiler it, because I need to post it now so people can know for future reference that I was the first to call the movie out for this:

'I can't see!' What the fukk was that?!:mjlol:

I gave it a 5/10 because while the movie slightly picks up as it builds more towards the end, the first hour is more boring than Inception. Which is a nice segue into how shytty the switching between the three different narratives is (the mole, the sea and the air). Because at this movie's low point the cutting away from scenes to completely irrelevant scenes that completely halt the momentum of the scene you were watching is even worse than Inception's cutting to the van still falling of the bridge in slow motion for the sixth time.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
From the comments I see here, if you don't like Nolan, he isn't winning you over with this film. People who like Nolan are going to enjoy themselves. The indifferent people will like something from the film. I like those odds for Nolan.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
interstellar-6.jpg

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
My boy with went to the screening with QA with Nolan at Lincoln center....my boy said it's a perfect film ...but my dude is a Nolan Stan

I have no interest in this movie ...PG-13 war movie:patrice:

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Good luck with that, breh! If it weren't for the movie being loud as fukk, you could probably hear a pin drop because audience reaction was all but zero throughout the entire movie. Some dude tried to start an applause after it ended which lasted all but two claps before dying off.

No, I'm not you peasant. :ducreux:

Yup. Here's some mostly spoiler-free pointers below:

The movie is weirdly silent for the first ten minutes or so. I'm talking a beach full of soldiers who have to dive for an incoming bomber and you literally hear no noise from them, no screams or shouts whatsoever. It's weird because the rest of the movie is basically built on sound (and becomes the movie's most outstanding feature), so why it takes nearly fifteen minutes for the first background extras to start making some sounds is beyond me.

I also am not sure why Nolan decided to open the movie with the main character trying to find a quiet place to take a poop.

The aerial shots look amazing and the air battles overall are pretty much the only good part of the movie. This and the sound is pretty much the only thing I will give Nolan props for. Everything else really just looks like a History Channel tv movie with a higher budget and better photography.

Btw, there are no Nazis in this movie.

I'm serious about that. Unless you want to count the five German planes or so, two blurry silhouettes towards the end of the movie are literally the only visible representation of the German army in the entire movie.

Matter of fact, the opening title card distinctively mentions the French and British troops but refers to the German army as simply "the enemy", and the more I think about this the more I realize this might be the safest politically correct bullshyt I've ever seen in a WWII movie. People who whined about Hacksaw Ridge's supposed "jingoism" will probably rub their hands in glee at Nolan's dedication to not upset Nazi-sympathizers.

There's a dramatic turn (or attempt to) about midway in the movie which is laughably bad. It caught me off guard so bad I would have burst out laughing if I wasn't so utterly dumb-founded by the fact this made it into the movie. I will spoiler it, because I need to post it now so people can know for future reference that I was the first to call the movie out for this:

'I can't see!' What the fukk was that?!:mjlol:

I gave it a 5/10 because while the movie slightly picks up as it builds more towards the end, the first hour is more boring than Inception. Which is a nice segue into how shytty the switching between the three different narratives is (the mole, the sea and the air). Because at this movie's low point the cutting away from scenes to completely irrelevant scenes that completely halt the momentum of the scene you were watching is even worse than Inception's cutting to the van still falling of the bridge in slow motion for the sixth time.
Although I can possibly believe this review is accurate since most Nolan films are overrated to no end...coming from the biggest hater of Nolan on this thread, I can't really take this review that serious.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My boy with went to the screening with QA with Nolan at Lincoln center....my boy said it's a perfect film ...but my dude is a Nolan Stan

I have no interest in this movie ...PG-13 war movie:patrice:

If you thirst for bloody and gruesome violence then this film isn't for you.... but there been classic war epics back in a period where it was more about the heroism and valor rather than the grittiness and ugliness of war that have been long missed. A great filmmaker can show LESS as more.... Aflred Hitchcock used to be a master in just the intensity and suspense without you actually seeing the gruesome violence...

I don't always right with critics, for THIS to be universally praised and marked as one of the greatest war epics, ever... and that's a HUGE statement. You may have to be intrigued as to how and why.

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
If you thirst for bloody and gruesome violence then this film isn't for you.... but there been classic war epics back in a period where it was more about the heroism and valor rather than the grittiness and ugliness of war that have been long missed. A great filmmaker can show LESS as more.... Aflred Hitchcock used to be a master in just the intensity and suspense without you actually seeing the gruesome violence...

I don't always right with critics, for THIS to be universally praised and marked as one of the greatest war epics, ever... and that's a HUGE statement. You may have to be intrigued as to how and why.
Definitely not thirst for gruesome and violence.

Just not interested in the film man...big Nolan fan but the trailer is just not moving me ..I will watch tho cuz Nolan makes great films

I agree with your post by the way

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Although I can possibly believe this review is accurate since most Nolan films are overrated to no end...coming from the biggest hater of Nolan on this thread, I can't really take this review that serious.
Were you not tipped off by his post right before he saw it?

I'm seeing this trash in 10 minutes, I will let you guys know how much trash it is later.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam

Alfred Hitchcock and other classic filmmakers would use story and characters to get you invested. This has none. All this has is a couple of scenes that haven't really been done in a war movie before, or at least not often (the aerial battles for one), which seems to be why this receives so much praise.

Certainly not because of the clumsy ass story involving Mark Rylance and two boys on a small boat trying to do more, or the survival story of a couple soldiers who are such wet blankets of characters that by the time they start to get in real danger, the only suspense is whether you can force yourself to care even the slightest bit.

And it's not even about grit and bloody violence, it's about a movie that expects you to feel the dread of the soldiers trapped on a beach hoping for a way home when the movie never establishes any of that. Largely because outside of the occasional plane bombings that feel more arbitrary than calculated, you never feel the presence of the German army at all.

Were you not tipped off by his post right before he saw it?
Don't understand simple trolling, brehs.

Besides, following your logic we don't have to give a shyt about your opinion either since you have been calling it a sure to be masterpiece since the movie was announced, so surprise surprise, what will you surmise?