Charles Barkley going off on This super team era

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
You sound like a female. This era is trash. Its literally a bunch of talented but feminine nikkas texting each other and following each other around the minute they gotta face any adversity or put some sweat equity in.

Sixers fan. I can see why you mad.

You should be more upset at your team for tanking all those years.

What's feminine is not putting up a fight for years just so that you could get
"good" draft picks. Breh in here talking about sweat equity when his team tanked for years, y'all...

:camby:

Crude

Superstar
Daps
I remember those Rockets teams of the 90s Barkley, Drexler, Hakeem were all in like their mid 30s.

If they would have decided to do that 5-6 years earlier y'all would have a point though.

I don't care for all the stars wanting to join up in their primes. AD and Kawhi are in their primes. LeBron is past his prime, but even a LeBron whose lost a step or two is still an All-NBA player.

LeBron ushered in this era with that Heatles stuff in 2010, and while I don't blame guys for trying to better their situation as a fan I think it waters down the game.

All of them scared they are going end up like Chuck and Karl, so they recruit and team up to stack the odds in their favor which in my opinion devalues titles but that's another conversation probably for another day.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
No, you’re adding pointless qualifiers to it. The average age in the NBA was 28 years old back then.

It was an old league. The old guys who were drafted in the 80’s were still the best players in the league and only those veteran squads were really the title contenders.

Barkley, Drexler (later Pippen), Olajuwon still put up numbers and were still among the top players at their positions. They won 57 damn games and Barkley forced his way there threatening retirement.
@MooseMouthMthafuga is correct. They are just all-time great players, but it was a complete 1-last hurrah for them. A hail mary. Barkley on Houston wasn't Barkley on the Suns, and he definitely wasn't 76ers Chuck. He was barely mobile. No one thought they were even going to Finals.

The league was already given to Shaq, Kidd, Grant Hill (heir to Jordan), Webber, Penny - Matter of fact, Chuck had pissed off everyone in Phoenix by that time, talking some retirement. this was the twilight of his career.

NobleDrewAli

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lebron ushered in the era of non-competitiveness with the Miami big 3. AD, Kawhi, and Lebron is truly the weakest move ever made in the NBA.

Non competitive? He won 2 finals in 4 years in Miami and 1 final in 3 years the second round in Cleveland. The league was still competitive back then.

etrofllenrod504

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He wouldn't have that energy if this goofy shyt got him a ring :sas2:

rockets96cos-1_250x.jpg
Clearly Barkley was out of his prime and just joining those guys to hang out and talk future retirement plans. He had zero intentions of trying to win a ring when he made this move:skip:

H.I.M.

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Chuck is such a damn hypocrite...he played on 3 different squads that could be considered "super teams" and didn't win shyt. The whole 80's era were filled with a small handful of overly stacked teams, dominating the rest of league.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree with him generally

If Kawhi stays in Toronto the league would be so much more interesting/exciting/intriguing

If he goes to the Lakers its the Warriors all over again where we know the outcome

This

There's no clear cut favorite if Kawhi stays in Toronto

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who cares about rings now. shyt is so devalued in this era. Used to be a sign of the ultimate competitor. Now it's a sign of the best recruiter. Theres gonna be a year when all the top 5 players choose to play on the same team , they are gonna 5 peat, and nikkas are gonna be calling them Co-Goats :mjlol:. The fukk is happening to basketball

Gon have the best player at each position on the same team

:mjlol:

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
You have a point. The flip side of that is, the NBA is the only sport that the players and current fans trashes the previous eras.
No current players are being trotted out every week on ESPN or elsewhere to trash past eras. Thats a lie. The opposite of that is true.

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
Clearly Barkley was out of his prime and just joining those guys to hang out and talk future retirement plans. He had zero intentions of trying to win a ring when he made this move:skip:

Chicago Tribune - We are currently unavailable in your region
He has a dream.

Being traded to the Bulls.

"That would be the ultimate," says Phoenix Suns star Charles Barkley, headed for his second Dream Team appearance this summer.

Where he'll be next fall is the question.

"I would trade money for the right to win a championship," says Barkley, whose Suns were eliminated by San Antonio in the opening round of the playoffs and seem ripe for a rebuilding. "I'd like to have a shot. We didn't have that this year. I can honestly say this season was terrible. It was a mediocre team. It was no fun.

"If they want to trade me to a team that has a chance, I'll go. If they want to trade me just anywhere, I'll sit home and play golf and see if NBC can use me. I'm frustrated. I know (Suns owner) Mr. (Jerry) Colangelo is frustrated. He obviously has to give me some help or he's got to start rebuilding. And that probably means trading me."
Different team, same goal for Barkley
HOUSTON - No one will ever accuse Charles Barkley of being subtle. That's not changing now that he's on the Houston Rockets.

''I don't guarantee anything,'' the star forward said Monday after he was traded by the Phoenix Suns for four players, including guard Sam Cassell and forward Robert Horry. ''But I have no problem saying this: If we don't win a championship, I'll be crushed.''

That's exactly what the Rockets brass, who won the NBA title in 1994 and 1995 before falling short last season, wanted to hear.

''He's really a coach on the floor and has a lunch-pail attitude,'' Rockets owner Les Alexander said.

''We have to make tough decisions in this business,'' Houston coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. ''This was an opportunity we couldn't pass up. There are elite players, those you can say do it all, and Charles Barkley is one of them.''

Also moved to the Suns in the blockbuster deal were forward-center Mark Bryant, who backed up Hakeem Olajuwon, and forward Chucky Brown, the only Rockets player to appear in all 82 regular-season games last season.

Barkley raises the off-court persona of the normally low-key, workmanlike Rockets. On the court, he brings swagger along with a career mark of averaging better than 20 points and 10 rebounds per game.

''My only goal is to win a championship,'' he said. ''I'm going to do my best. If you look at my career, I've been consistent.

''All I want to do is play basketball,'' he added. ''When I first heard about the trade, I was a little nervous because they did give up a lot to get me.

''I don't look at it as pressure. It's a challenge. Hopefully, it will work out.''

Barkley said he wanted to finish his career in Phoenix, where he played the last four years. But once they started shopping him around, he felt it was time to leave.

One thing Barkley won't get in Houston is his traditional uniform, No. 34. That's already taken by Olajuwon. He'll wear No. 4 instead.

''Couldn't beat them, you had to join them,'' he joked, holding up the jersey. The last two years, Houston eliminated Phoenix from the NBA playoffs.

Barkley's arrival was greeted warmly by his two All-Star teammates, Clyde Drexler and Olajuwon.

''I'm sad the other guys have to leave, but when you have a chance to get a Hall of Fame player, you make the move,'' Drexler said. ''It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.''

''The only thing that appears constant in life is change,'' said Olajuwon, who was a teammate of Barkley's on the recent gold medal-winning U.S. Olympic basketball team.

''My heart is filled with the memories of my championship teammates. ... I welcome Charles Barkley to the Rockets and look forward with great anticipation to our quest as teammates for the 1997 NBA World Championship.''

Monday's deal capped months of talks that appeared to stall earlier this summer when a much-rumored, three-way trade involving the Rockets, Suns and Denver Nuggets fizzled.

The earlier exchange would have cost the Rockets only Horry and Cassell, two mainstays of their 1994 and 1995 NBA championship teams. Now they also surrender Brown, 27, and Bryant, 31.

In Cassell, 26, and Horry, who turns 26 this week, the Suns get youth and potential. Both are streaky players capable of lighting up a scoreboard with 3-point shots, but they also can disappear from the scoring sheets.

Barkley is a 10-time All-Star who averaged 23.2 points, 11.6 rebounds and 3.7 assists last season.

Almost lost in the Barkley hoopla was Houston's signing of 7-foot, free-agent center Kevin Willis, who averaged better than 10 points and eight rebounds last year while playing for Miami and Golden State.

''I'm extremely happy,'' Willis said. ''I'm thrilled.''

With Barkley and Willis joining Olajuwon, the Rockets hope to improve from the ranks of the NBA's worst rebounding teams.

They also expect to better compete with Western Conference rivals Seattle, which swept Houston 4-0 in the playoffs last season to end the Rockets' dream of a third straight NBA title, and the Los Angeles Lakers, bolstered by the offseason signing of free-agent center Shaquille O'Neal.

''Seattle is the team to beat,'' Barkley said of the defending Western Conference champions. ''But I don't see anybody in the West who can beat us. I like our chances. We are going to cause some problems for some teams.''

Da fukk is yall in here chatting about? He was coming off his best season as a Sun, Dream was off his 2nd best in his career and Glide was still putting up 20.

He's salty because this generation succeeded at doing what he failed at.

bl2k8

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Northern California
Non competitive? He won 2 finals in 4 years in Miami and 1 final in 3 years the second round in Cleveland. The league was still competitive back then.
LeBron won the East 8 straight years and had the clear cut best team 7 out of 8 years. His moves put a stanglehold on an entire conference. Warriors got KD and locked the West up for another 3 years. All these moves are about killing as much competition as you can, I don’t care who side you are on