Chaos in the Middle of a Pandemic: 2020 NBA Off-Season Thread

drifter

Superstar
Daps
Every single one of those guys Rondo, Caruso, and Bradley ain't shyt with LeBron at this point in their careers :mjlol: If you want a cheap, solid PG who can run offense and hit shots who's not a gimmick, always injured, or LBJ's scrappy Delledova/Norris Cole enthusiasm guy then take the safe upgrade on the position instead of hoping that Gallo can even manage Mike Dunleavy production. Consistency at a position that's not LBJ's would take a lot of pressure off everyone.

Wings of a Rondo/Caruso/Bradley's current value grow on trees too. Gallo wasn't even being guarded when he finished an elimination game with 4 points...

And with him they're champion, so I'm not understanding the point since they're already under contract, you already have too many bodies at guard. I don't feel like looking up numbers but I'm fairly confident this Lakers final teams is one of the best defensively all time in the Finals. And it ain't all from Davis, it was the combo of Davis, their guard rotation applying pressure defensively which includes Rondo & Caruso (and would've def included Avery), and Dwight making the most of his limited minutes.

But anyway, Rondo comparisons to Cole & Dellavedova show we shouldn't even be having a convo so I'll leave it alone.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
And with him they're champion, so I'm not understanding the point since they're already under contract, you already have too many bodies at guard. I don't feel like looking up numbers but I'm fairly confident this Lakers final teams is one of the best defensively all time in the Finals. And it ain't all from Davis, it was the combo of Davis, their guard rotation applying pressure defensively which includes Rondo & Caruso (and would've def included Avery), and Dwight making the most of his limited minutes.

But anyway, Rondo comparisons to Cole & Dellavedova show we shouldn't even be having a convo so I'll leave it alone.
I'm not comparing Rondo to Cole and Delladova. I'm comparing Caruso to those guys obviously. Rondo can't stay healthy and neither can Bradley.

It won't be a 20 year old rookie, one legged Dragic, and some guy the opposing team didn't even want to play the previous 2 rounds you're up against every year. If you want to stay the course with those guys, then again - you're tripping.
He's 32yo and just had the best two-season stretch of his career in 2019 and 2020.

He was extra inconsistent in the first round but still had a couple monster games (Game 1 and Game 6). You're basically judging him off of three bad games that could have just been poor conditioning or not feeling the bubble whatever. If he wants to sign for the MLE the Lakers are picking him up in a heartbeat, then they'll be that much more free to trade Danny/Kuz/change for another defensive piece.
A guy like Gallo having poor conditioning at this stage of his career is an even clearer sign that you shouldn't touch him then. And its not short memory or anything - he either disappears or doesn't move the needle at all in the playoffs. His entire career is being inconsistent. Picking him up as some sort of "he can hit the shots Green won't" plan makes zero sense.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
A guy like Gallo having poor conditioning at this stage of his career is an even clearer sign that you shouldn't touch him then. And its not short memory or anything - he either disappears or doesn't move the needle at all in the playoffs. His entire career is being inconsistent. Picking him up as some sort of "he can hit the shots Green won't" plan makes zero sense.
Gallinari is an upgrade over Danny Green. Getting him for the MLE is a steal if it's possible. If you don't see that you're tripping.

Between Caruso establishing himself and Rondo coming off playing his best ball in a decade they're fine at PG. Especially with LeBron still getting spot minutes. Don't forget about Avery Bradley too.

Wing production is their sore spot when LeBron's not on the court, Kuzma and Danny are barely NBA players. Gallo fixes that and they wouldn't even have to lift a finger, fire up the trade machine, etc
All this is on point.

Lakers were perfectly fine at PG. It's shooting and defense at the wing that gives them problems.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Was the discussion about being a better player or hitting big shots? :dahell:
You said Lakers "shouldn't touch him" so pretty clear we're rating his full value.

NBA fans wildly overrate how well they can judge the "hitting big shots" metric. Sample size is always way too small and the situations are always too different. You have literally zero idea what Gallinari will do in a clutch situation on a team with Bron. You get the best available player that fits your needs and then put them in situations to win. Every GM in the league trusts Gallinari as a shooter/scorer over Danny Green right now.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Gallinari is an upgrade over Danny Green. Getting him for the MLE is a steal if it's possible. If you don't see that you're tripping.

All this is on point.

Lakers were perfectly fine at PG. It's shooting and defense at the wing that gives them problems.
Gallo is better than Green and Kuz combined on offense but do you lose anything defensively that would have to be accounted for :jbhmm:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Gallo is better than Green and Kuz combined on offense but do you lose anything defensively that would have to be accounted for :jbhmm:
Green has been very disappointing on defense and will be 34 by next year's finals, it's pretty hard to trust that he'll be a plus defender next year. And Kuzma has been so shytty at defense that LWO gets excited every time he looks even passable for a stretch.

But if you can pick up a scorer like Gallinari, then getting an actual wing defender becomes the #1 objective. And having Gallinari in hand would free them up that much more to put Green/Kuz into a trade for that defender.

It all depends on how shyt works out though...might be easier to trade for a shooter like Heild and then use the MLE to sign Roberson or Carroll as the defender.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
You said Lakers "shouldn't touch him" so pretty clear we're rating his full value.

NBA fans wildly overrate how well they can judge the "hitting big shots" metric. Sample size is always way too small and the situations are always too different. You have literally zero idea what Gallinari will do in a clutch situation on a team with Bron. You get the best available player that fits your needs and then put them in situations to win. Every GM in the league trusts Gallinari as a shooter/scorer over Danny Green right now.
Shouldn't touch him *if

*Its about him hitting big shots or something in comparison to Danny Green.

If every GM trusted Gallinari he wouldn't have been passed around the league and ended up in OKC as trade baggage in the first place. The whole big shot thing wasn't even something I led with either.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Green has been very disappointing on defense and will be 34 by next year's finals, it's pretty hard to trust that he'll be a plus defender next year. And Kuzma has been so shytty at defense that LWO gets excited every time he looks even passable for a stretch.

But if you can pick up a scorer like Gallinari, then getting an actual wing defender becomes the #1 objective. And having Gallinari in hand would free them up that much more to put Green/Kuz into a trade for that defender.

It all depends on how shyt works out though...might be easier to trade for a shooter like Heild and then use the MLE to sign Roberson or Carroll as the defender.
I'm thinking Gallo is still gonna want to get paid a bit regardless of what he says. Same with someone like Jeremi Grant. I'd see if someone like Jamychel Green and Wes Matthews are available. I think the Laker's have just been handicapping themselves because AD doesn't want to play 5. If they come into next season and just tell him he's gotta play there, many options open. They can keep a big guy on the bench just for when they play Denver or Philly. Lebron at the point forward and have wings that are interchangeable that can hit shots and play D.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
NBA Draft is on November 18th

The Athletic is reporting free agency is December 1st.

It's looking like teams will be able to start making trades in the next couple weeks.

I'd imagine NBA training camp will begin right after New Year's...

If I'm the NBA I'm targeting a mid January start to the season.

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Daps
I'm thinking Gallo is still gonna want to get paid a bit regardless of what he says. Same with someone like Jeremi Grant. I'd see if someone like Jamychel Green and Wes Matthews are available. I think the Laker's have just been handicapping themselves because AD doesn't want to play 5. If they come into next season and just tell him he's gotta play there, many options open. They can keep a big guy on the bench just for when they play Denver or Philly. Lebron at the point forward and have wings that are interchangeable that can hit shots and play D.

Demarcus Cousins will play the 5 next year. I say keep Kuz and get a defensive small forward

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
NBA Draft is on November 18th

The Athletic is reporting free agency is December 1st.

It's looking like teams will be able to start making trades in the next couple weeks.

I'd imagine NBA training camp will begin right after New Year's...
Guess I’ll be heading to Cali soon enough for vacation

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
If every GM trusted Gallinari he wouldn't have been passed around the league and ended up in OKC as trade baggage in the first place.
You're being silly with it - he's only switched teams 3 times in 12 years and two of those times were in blockbuster deals for Carmelo and PG13 when they were 1st-team All-NBA guys.