• Carlito's Way

Votes: 52 49.1%
  • Scarface

Votes: 54 50.9%

• Total voters
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But its THEE rag to riches story imo. And we can even say that maybe Brian De Palma grew as a filmmaker by the time he did Carlito's Way.

no its THEE rags to riches story for a generation of young minorities who idolize the character thinking that they too could be drug kingpins. I swear to everything Scarface owes EVERYTHING to hip hop. Hip hop seriously blew this movie the fukk up. No one was feeling this movie like that back in '83 except a bunch of young wannabe thugs. This shyt got ZERO oscar nods. Dont let the popularity fool you people. I know yall prob got jackets and tshirts with tony montana on them :snoop: and prob scarface posters on your walls haha but c'mon. Carlito's Way has way more depth than Scarface. hahaha wow

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
no its THEE rags to riches story for a generation of young minorities who idolize the character thinking that they too could be drug kingpins. I swear to everything Scarface owes EVERYTHING to hip hop. Hip hop seriously blew this movie the fukk up. No one was feeling this movie like that back in '83 except a bunch of young wannabe thugs. This shyt got ZERO oscar nods. Dont let the popularity fool you people. I know yall prob got jackets and tshirts with tony montana on them :snoop: and prob scarface posters on your walls haha but c'mon. Carlito's Way has way more depth than Scarface. hahaha wow
Hip Hop did embrace Scarface no doubt about it. But shyt it was actually a couple of white boyz who turned me on to Scarface when I was young. Don't get it twisted, suburban whites love them some Scarface just as much as us minorities. Its one of the ultimate if not THEE ultimate "guy flicks" out there. It doesn't run on BET nonstop it runs on Spike TV and the likes constantly. If it isn't the original Wall Street then the next go to flick for white males has to be Scarface.:win:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Carlito's Way is good, but that wack ass love story damn near ruined it for me. Just derails the movie damn near every time it's the focal point.

Scarface is overrated, but it's still the better movie. I don't see how this is up for debate.

wise prophet

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
swear to everything Scarface owes EVERYTHING to hip hop. Hip hop seriously blew this movie the fukk up. No one was feeling this movie like that back in '83 except a bunch of young wannabe thugs. This shyt got ZERO oscar nods.

:comeon:

I don't think Scarface is all that great but judging a movie based on it's oscar wins/nominations is not the way to go.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
:comeon:

I don't think Scarface is all that great but judging a movie based on it's oscar wins/nominations is not the way to go.

well of course not but it adds some value to a debate. its a very distinguised group of people from every aspect of the film industry who vote. I think there words carry a little weight dont you think. When a movie racks up 8 oscars or something, its usually a pretty good movie.

but my point was, critics AND both the general movie watching public were not that impressed with Scarface when it first came out. It didnt gain it's cult following until rap music popularized it.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
English Patient won Best Picture but that shyt hasn't been talked about since 1997.

what other movie deserved it that year tho? ive never seen the English Patient so i cant vouch but what else should of best pic? of course the academy has made some HUGE mistakes over the years. There is no denying that.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Scarface may be more iconic, but Carlito's Way is the superior film of the two..
was just goin to type the same thing verbatim
Scarface? Yall are really putting scarface up there like that? Man it was entertaining and all but cmon. Shyt is it cuz this is a hip hop forum? Scarface is your average rags to riches story that's been done a hundred times before and a hundred times since.
duke that film came out in the early 80s.Rags to riches stories involving the underworld wasnt in heavy rotation back then.Scarface was quite the pioneer in that respect

Tres Leches

Empire Business
Daps
I like Carlitos Way but I never get tired of Scarface...anytime I catch it on tv I leave it on..Scarface is better IMO...and since were comparing pacino movies.. donnie brasco > carlitos way

HollywoodP

#LongLive24 #TMC America's Team, Lakeshow, & ASU
Daps
Reppin
The Valley Of The Sun 602🌵480🌵623🌵520
I love both movies...their both classic...anyone who says otherwise is an idiot...It really could go either way for me. I know alot of people will say Carlitos Way just because its the more underrated of the 2. I don't think either is far superior than the other. I think the thing that would put Carlitos Way slightly ahead of Scarface for me would be that it accomplished the same thing that Scarface accomplished in a much shorter movie. Blood soaked epics that chronicle a rise and fall of power. Both are thoroughly entertaining. Both fulfill you to the point that when you finish the movie you felt like you have been watching a long ass epic. Your almost mentally exhausted from it all... In Scarface's case it really is a long ass epic. While in Carlito's Way its only 144 minutes.