Can you play and enjoy a game with an art style you don’t like?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
talesofsymphoniaremasteredstorytrailer-ign-blogroll-1669824578863.jpg

Tales of Symphonia is my favorite game of all time. I do like the game’s art style overall, but I never cared for the “chibi” character models. Mostly because it makes it look like everyone (who isn’t a small child) is the same height.

I played through like 40 hours of this on GameCube and i completely forgot it was chibi style until the remaster just came out

• Dap
Reactions: NZA

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
talesofsymphoniaremasteredstorytrailer-ign-blogroll-1669824578863.jpg

Tales of Symphonia is my favorite game of all time. I do like the game’s art style overall, but I never cared for the “chibi” character models. Mostly because it makes it look like everyone (who isn’t a small child) is the same height.
Favorite of all time?!

Wow strong username to post correlation

I played through like 40 hours of this on GameCube and i completely forgot it was chibi style until the remaster just came out

When you a kid chibi looks normal everyone is your height lol

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Dislike, no, I just can't do it.

But artstyle I was iffy or indifferent about can win me to their cause if they accompany other good things, and I can develop an appreciation for them.

There are also artstyles that I don't like nor dislike but that I'm intrigued about and can catch an appreciation for.

I'm thinking about Machinarium for example, something I wouldn't be appealed to at all normally, but that has soul.

Redwood

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston, Texas
I wasn't a fan of the "cel-shaded" art style of Sly Cooper, but it became one of my favorite games of all time.

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
I kind of feel like the series has slowly grew from chibi also, Vesperia is also kind of chibi-ish,
I still need to finish Vepseria, I bought Arise too and still haven't played it. Paid $40 for it. Everytime I see it on sale now for $20 I hit the mjcry face :mjgrin:

But my backlog is so large I really need to carve out gaming time everyday. I started and stopped Horizon Zero dawn, swapped to Ghost of Tsushima and tryna finish that before I replay the Witcher 3, but by the time I do that Starfield and Spider-Man 2 will be out :mjcry:
It never ends breh

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Thats why a lot of these indie games come out and i know right off the bat if im gonna play them or not just by looking at them. Art style really carries lower budget games more so than anything.

For example i absolutely hate games that go for 8-bit pixel look.

SoldierBoss.png

But pixel art that looks more like 16 bit-32 bit era stuff :banderas:

large.jpg

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
no…for me video games are 50% visual and 50% gameplay…if I can’t get into one it’s gonna be hard to get into the other…I don’t need “realistic” graphics but I should like the look/art style of the game

*edit*

katana zero was definitely an exception…wasn’t crazy about the graphics but ended up liking the game and felt the graphics really were important to the 80s vibe of the game/story

Last edited:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Thats why a lot of these indie games come out and i know right off the bat if im gonna play them or not just by looking at them. Art style really carries lower budget games more so than anything.

For example i absolutely hate games that go for 8-bit pixel look.

SoldierBoss.png

But pixel art that looks more like 16 bit-32 bit era stuff :banderas:

large.jpg
Those are great examples, especially since my feelings for the first game are akin to :pacspit: while I feel :noah::o: about Owlboy.

But as I was saying, even though I don't like the artstyle, I must admit that Axiom Verge's look really helped in the mood it was trying to set. shyt wouldn't feel so weird, so alien and reality-bending without that 8-bit style.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Those are great examples, especially since my feelings for the first game are akin to :pacspit: while I feel :noah::o: about Owlboy.

But as I was saying, even though I don't like the artstyle, I must admit that Axiom Verge's look really helped in the mood it was trying to set. shyt wouldn't feel so weird, so alien and reality-bending without that 8-bit style.

Its funny you say that because i recently played the sequel the other day and its still 8bit and seemed to completely drop that aesthetic choice.

Pull Up the Roots

I have a good time when I go out of my mind..
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
There was a period where I couldn't stomach playing games that looked like the examples in the OP, but I guess my standards changed. I'll play anything if it's good regardless of its art style these days.