Can you draw?

KinksandCoils

African American Queen
Daps
Reppin
Locker room
Sorry, I really don't mean to come across as being crass (so please don't take it that way) but either you have it, or you don't. We all can indulge into something we like doing in the academic sense...doesn't mean that we're cut out for it.

I mean I've always envied guys that could sing women outta their draws but I sure as hell don't have the voice/talent for it even when I'm singing to myself I sound fukked up. That's cool because it's not the talent I was born with. Same with guys that can ball on the reg...good in the academic sense but not everyone can be :mjpls:
I can't speak for anyone else here but my skills were ingrained self-taught. My parents told me I was drawing shyt at 2-3 years old outta the comics section of the newspaper (not great but noticeably impressive for the age) I found art classes boring after awhile because what curriculum schools go over the course of a year, I had already learned on my own... somehow it's internal...I can't explain any better than that. So usually my teachers would just let me cook and give me the "A":francis:

I encourage anyone who wants to get into art to go for it; it's subjective anyway, people are going to like different art styles and/or approaches... But to think that born talent has nothing to do with it is just wrong.
u just said it. U were drawing since 2 and u still draw which means you have put in work. Which is exactly my point .Now how many people u know that has been drawing all their life? It's mostly artist. You're right, art is talent but it's also skill. You didn't wake up one day knowing how to draw those cool characters u do, you practice, you improved. people who say they can't draw but wish they could never draw. And yea some people are naturally better of course but art is skill and talent not just talent.

Every artist I've known and ones I've talked to will all tell you that there is no short cuts to getting better, you must practice.

It's no different than an nba player. Take mj he practiced and practiced and practiced. He didn't just start playing ball and never worked at his skill and miraculously hit the nba bro.

Anyways u get my point. You have great art, much respect to you. I'm an artist as well!

IllustratorMike

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Native of the NYC, getting fed in the Big D!
u just said it. U were drawing since 2 and u still draw which means you have put in work. Which is exactly my point .Now how many people u know that has been drawing all their life? It's mostly artist. You're right, art is talent but it's also skill. You didn't wake up one day knowing how to draw those cool characters u do, you practice, you improved. people who say they can't draw but wish they could never draw. And yea some people are naturally better of course but art is skill and talent not just talent.

Every artist I've known and ones I've talked to will all tell you that there is no short cuts to getting better, you must practice.

It's no different than an nba player. Take mj he practiced and practiced and practiced. He didn't just start playing ball and never worked at his skill and miraculously hit the nba bro.

Anyways u get my point. You have great art, much respect to you. I'm an artist as well!
Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate you saying so.

However maturing in what you're good at goes without saying...unless you're Rob Liefeld who's in his own world and has been stagnant in his development for the last 20+ years.
Still, talent supersedes the average joe.

If you've ever tried to hear me sing, you might take the nice approach and encourage me to take singing lessons or you might just tell me to find a new line of work. No matter how much time I put into trying to develop a palatable singing voice I'll never be where I think I should be...thats where talent comes in. It gets a select few over the proverbial hump.
I can never answer when was my desire to pick up a pencil stemmed from seeing I was too young to recall. I just did.i could have chosen not to take it any further but I did. And by accounts from relatives and kindergarten teachers back then, I was unusually skilled for my age.
I just took your first post as discounting inate ability. I would like to see some of your work though.

Last edited:

KinksandCoils

African American Queen
Daps
Reppin
Locker room
Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate you saying so.

However maturing in what you're good at goes without saying...unless you're Rob Liefeld who's in his own world and has been stagnant in his development for the last 20+ years.
Still, talent supersedes the average joe.

If you've ever tried to hear me sing, you might take the nice approach and encourage me to take singing lessons or you might just tell me to find a new line of work. No matter how much time I put into trying to develop a palatable singing voice I'll never be where I think I should be...thats where talent comes in. It gets a select few over the proverbial hump.
I can never answer when was my desire to pick up a pencil stemmed from seeing I was too young to recall. I just did.:yeshrug:
I just took your first post as discounting inate ability. I would like to see some of your work though.
to me singing is a talent. You can grow up never singing but sing and have a beautiful voice. If you just don't have a beautiful voice than singing lessons not really going to do anything for u.

However most things can be learned.
Playing instruments, drawing, shooting hoops, dancing,etc., all can be learned

U can't really change your voice but so much.

People who have went on to Broadway have practiced for hrs and hrs. And although people call them talented and they smile at their comment that is also ignoring all of the hard work they put into practicing. I'd say natural talent and skill from practice is what makes one great.

But we all have different opinions. Keep up the great work Hun!!!

IllustratorMike

All Star
Daps
Reppin
to me singing is a talent. You can grow up never singing but sing and have a beautiful voice. If you just don't have a beautiful voice than singing lessons not really going to do anything for u.

However most things can be learned.
Playing instruments, drawing, shooting hoops, dancing,etc., all can be learned

U can't really change your voice but so much.

People who have went on to Broadway have practiced for hrs and hrs. And although people call them talented and they smile at their comment that is also ignoring all of the hard work they put into practicing. I'd say natural talent and skill from practice is what makes one great.

But we all have different opinions. Keep up the great work Hun!!!
It's all good, fam!:salute:

IllustratorMike

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Started on this last night while dealing with insomnia. Best believe I'll sleep better tonight. Thank you for looking. Markers on Bristol:

joker_zpsen9ppkvg.jpg

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Ron Burgundy sketch I did last year.
untitled_by_bsmalley-d77mmwx.jpg
Well I see someone is going to the Pants Party. :wink:
& @IllustratorMike ir name is truly suiting. Like damn breh! Then u listed ur son's work I was literally like :ohmy:. My sister is self taught too, the drawing gene skipped over me. I'm more likely to make it acting. Maybe j can audition for an open call for Chicago Fire/Pd/med or Empire & when I win my 1st award to shout out the Coli in my acceptance speech.

IllustratorMike

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Well I see someone is going to the Pants Party. :wink:
& @IllustratorMike ir name is truly suiting. Like damn breh! Then u listed ur son's work I was literally like :ohmy:. My sister is self taught too, the drawing gene skipped over me. I'm more likely to make it acting. Maybe j can audition for an open call for Chicago Fire/Pd/med or Empire & when I win my 1st award to shout out the Coli in my acceptance speech.
Thanks, my friend. Daps to your sis too for her talent.

When you become famous, never forget your Coli fam while getting them Emmys.:ufdup:

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
Thanks, my friend. Daps to your sis too for her talent.

When you become famous, never forget your Coli fam while getting them Emmys.:ufdup:
Fo sho! Imma need that guarantee that I don't have any bogus Coli smileys made of me or that i get exposed for nothing. I already promised @cook @Brooklynzson that I'd make a phat ass donation. But I have to make it first. :francis: