Can We Talk About One Of The NBAs Biggest Superstars Ever Who Is Rarely Discussed Basketball Wise?

Daps
823037920.jpg.jpg

It seems like most people only discuss him nowadays as an ambassador of the game versus his basketball resume. I can pull up his accolades (pretty impressive) just like anyone else but what do any of us really know about him?

Was he a good facilitator? defender? what was his offensive skillset?

So often you're forced to rely on hoopla & second hand stories that I feel it's easy to overlook this guy because there isn't enough film of his peak years. Even if we don't have much game footage of Wilt we understand the type of things he brought to the table...same with Bill, Jerry West etc

When people talk about top 5 sfs of all time nowadays you're getting bron, kd & bird off top as the top 3 with maybe like a scottie or kawhi rounding it out but rarely do you hear Dr J's name thrown out there

What do ya'll think?

Last edited:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
823037920.jpg.jpg

It seems like most people only discuss him nowadays as an ambassador of the game versus his basketball resume. I can pull up his accolades (pretty impressive) just like anyone else but what do any of us really know about him?

Was he a good facilitator? defender? what was his offensive skillset?

So often you're forced to rely on hoopla & second hand stories that I feel it's easy to overlook this guy because there isn't enough film of his peak years. Even if we don't have much game footage of Wilt we understand the type of things he brought to the table...same with Bill, Jerry West etc

When people talk about top 5 sfs of all time
nowadays you're getting bron, kd & bird off top as the top 3 with maybe like a scottie or kawhi rounding it out but rarely do you hear Dr J's name thrown out there

What do ya'll think?
:mjlol: :mjlol: :mjlol:

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Op is such a casual

He don’t get talked about cuz he spent most his career in the ABA

Daps
MJ literally lists Dr. J as inspiration

in terms of what though? Feet work? Post play? Defense? Ball handling? Or just playing above the rim?

Jordan also said David Thompson was an inspiration but that doesn’t necessarily mean their games mirrored each other

Daps
Generational thing, as time goes on earlier era gets talked about less and less
Growing up I remember people talking about him but now you’re right, he barely gets mentioned
Random but it’s similar to how if you’re an 80s baby you heard of Elvis and how big he was , kids now have no idea who dude is

I understand what you're saying but what I'm getting at his actual game isn't documented to the degree other legends are. Some of the other information that we have regarding the strengths & deficiencies of other legends doesn't seem as available when discussing doctor j. We know that Bill Walton operated in the post & was an excellent passer. The only thing that's emphasized about Dr J was he was a dunker and of course there's much more to his story

bzb

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
there was a dope documentary on him a few years back. i believe it's called 'The Doctor' a must watch.

he was the original high flying bball ambassador to the world before mj came along. he made bball exciting to watch. maybe younger cats don't hold him in as high up, but bball heads and og heads pay homage.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
The only thing that's emphasized about Dr J was he was a dunker and of course there's much more to his story

No snark but was it? Genuinely asking cause that was before my time. I remember on that title team Dr.J was a star but it seems like the consensus is that Moses Malone was the best player and the main reason the team won. Not to say he was basic but maybe he wasn't on that level where it's different stuff to discuss in depth about his game.
Like you said even when people were talking about him more regularly it was always about his athleticism, finishing at the rim, and dunking. I never heard anyone talk about his defense, passing, or spacing the floor with a J.

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
He doesn’t get mentioned because it’s a different era. Most people/posters haven’t saw him play. Magic and Bird still gets mentioned because they helped usher in change of the NBA culture in the USA, they brought the appeal and mystique. Jordan helped take it to another level, global.
Doctor J is Jordan and Magic’s blueprint from on court play, marketing, business and all around professionalism.

Last edited: