Can We Talk About One Of The NBAs Biggest Superstars Ever Who Is Rarely Discussed Basketball Wise?

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
Dr J is the Jimi Hendrix of basketball

where others invented high level of play and new ways of developing the game (Chuck Berry)
He did it in a style that nobody has done and is still replicated today

If I see someone compare him to Jimi after this I want royalties on that shyt
internet be stealing all the shyt for blogs

nightwing2016

All Star
Daps
NBA_Street_Vol._2_Coverart.png

I’m in my thirties and everyone I know talks about Dr. J. Hell my boy used to play the hell out of him on here.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
If you talk to most basketball heads, not casuals but real heads with a working knowledge and respect for the history of the sport; and if you peruse most real lists; they mirror each other abd The Doctor is still considered Top 5 for his position, and Top 20 All-Time, 35 years post-retirement...

He isn't mentioned as often because a)everyone gets lost with time, and b)as big as he was there were bigger stars during the time he played. He was The Guy in the ABA but when he competed against better talent in the NBA, while he still held his own as one of The League's premier players, he wasn't the singular show anymore...

And i thought it was pretty well understood Doc wasnt a great shooter or defender. He was a great scorer though, could hit a short j and his rim pressure was ungodly at his peak, his athleticism and slashing especially in transition were deadly. All this information is out there if one seeks it, it isn't hidden...

But I do agree he isn't talked about as much as others. Gotta think spending 5 years in the ABA hurt his visibility too since the NBA doesn't recognize ABA stats...

His NBA prime was basically 1976-84, and his numbers aren't really eye-popping in this stretch---->roughly 23/7/4, 50% shooting in both regular season and playoffs. And he had some really, really good teams around him. He was a winner, took the Sixers to three Finals (0-3) and five ECF (3-2) as a #1, but couldn't close the deal til Moses showed up, which is an indictment on his pedigree as a team's best player. He's basically the lesser version of West, and Moses the lesser version of Wilt, in the sense he could carry a team to a point but needed a better teammate to actualize championship success...

Or, sans winning a chip before the star teammate came, he was to the Sixers what Wade was to the Heat, and what Steph was to The Dubs, and adjusted his role to make room for a better player on his franchise...

Personally, I find him to be slightly overrated; again not by the typical fan where his name is rarely mentioned, I mean by actual heads who have studied the sport and consider him Top 20 still. The margin between he and Kawhi is currently razor-thin, to use a modern player at his position, and I think durability and the lack of longevity currently keep Doc ahead of Kawhi---->but I strongly believe Kawhi's peak was higher and Kawhi is the demonstrably better all-around player. Kawhi gives us one more year of what he's looked like in his prime and that's probably enough for me to jump him over Dr J, it's borderline as is....

Dr J is an All-Time great player but there were several better players in his day when he played against the best players in the world in the NBA, and there are more greater players historically...

This is it, the real question is why Moses is overshadowed so much. Widely viewed as a Top 20 All-Timer still, 27-years post-retirement. Widely viewed as greater historically than Dr J, as greater in their era and overlapping prime, and as the best player on their '83 title team that is viewed as one of the best teams ever...

He was younger than Doc so his prime started and ended later than Doc's but wasn't really shorter than Doc's, his peak was higher than Doc's and his scale of dominance was higher than Doc's...
Nah breh YOU view him this way lol

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Nah breh YOU view him this way lol

Lmao nah bruh, talked to enough old heads. Go find a reputable source you trust that releases "greatest players" lists, Moses is almost always ahead. It isn't a coincidence...

But I do though for the reasons I listed. His peak was higher than J's peak, he was just a more dominant player. It really isn't that debatable!

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Lmao nah bruh, talked to enough old heads. Go find a reputable source you trust that releases "greatest players" lists, Moses is almost always ahead. It isn't a coincidence...

But I do though for the reasons I listed. His peak was higher than J's peak, he was just a more dominant player. It really isn't that debatable!
I've never heard any conversation in real life or panel anywhere with Moses above the Doctor, and if so it's likely based on the caveat of NBA only which is why you can argue peak/dominance.

The Backpicks GOAT: The 40 Best Careers in NBA History

This is the same guy that did the Greatest Peak series and we know how objective he was about his rankings there. While it's not in line with some other platforms that's 10 spots ahead.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
OP

Some good answers in this thread. Part of it is that scandal and family problems caused Doc to step away from broadcasting, so he's not as visible to modern generations.

Every 80s to mid 90s player will readily give it up about how popular he was.

Daps
OP

Some good answers in this thread. Part of it is that scandal and family problems caused Doc to step away from broadcasting, so he's not as visible to modern generations.

Every 80s to mid 90s player will readily give it up about how popular he was.

Once again the premise of this thread was to go beyond his popularity or superficial aspects of his game. I was posing the question why the specific aspects of his game are never discussed versus his highlights

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Once again the premise of this thread was to go beyond his popularity or superficial aspects of his game. I was posing the question why the specific aspects of his game are never discussed versus his highlights
His dunks overshadowed his skill set as a player.
If you recall, at some point high flyers would opt out of the NBA Dunk contest because they wanted to be known as more than a slam dunk artist.

====
Mid to end of his career, there was a good number of multiskilled Small Forwards in the league. It might have become the most loaded position in the league, and they made up the top scorers top 20.

Daps
When has the NBA ever been about discussing “certain aspects” of the game v. highlights?

99.999999% of discourse around hoops has always been about highlights and box score numbers [superficial]. Detailed analysis about the game is only a recent thing.

Daps
When has the NBA ever been about discussing “certain aspects” of the game v. highlights?

99.999999% of discourse around hoops has always been about highlights and box score numbers [superficial]. Detailed analysis about the game is only a recent thing.

Take someone like Magic. Based on game footage, documentaries and accounts from other players you would know that as he got older he incorporated the set shot into his arsenal, he had the hook and he was comfortable with operating with his back to the basket. He however wasn’t the shooter Larry was. Larry was a excellent shooter, passer & rebounder. He was not a great one on one defender.

This is stuff you pretty much come to understand based on the content & analysis The NBA provides. The NBA does not do a good job of highlighting what type of PLAYER Julius was versus him being an attraction

Daps
Take someone like Magic. Based on game footage, documentaries and accounts from other players you would know that as he got older he incorporated the set shot into his arsenal, he had the hook and he was comfortable with operating with his back to the basket. He however wasn’t the shooter Larry was. Larry was a excellent shooter, passer & rebounder. He was not a great one on one defender.

This is stuff you pretty much come to understand based on the content & analysis The NBA provides. The NBA does not do a good job of highlighting what type of PLAYER Julius was versus him being an attraction
Again, when has the NBA ever done that for any player?

In the context of how you’re framing Magic’s game, it’s because he came up a decade after Julius where there’s simply more game footage available — it’s not because the intricacies of his game are necessarily broken down more. It’s the same reason why Wilt is known for his athletic feats rather than his actual game. Same goes for any player that existed primarily pre-80s. I mean you’re kind of proving my point about hoops discourse talking about Larry’s shooting, passing and rebounding. All that is based upon highlights and box score numbers.

All you’ve got to do is listen in on any hoops convo, and it’ll essentially consist of comparing accolades and box score numbers. That’s how the NBA has marketed its product, purely as entertainment and nothing more, which comes as no surprise when fans don’t care about the past like that.

Daps
Again, when has the NBA ever done that for any player?

In the context of how you’re framing Magic’s game, it’s because he came up a decade after Julius where there’s simply more game footage available — it’s not because the intricacies of his game are necessarily broken down more. It’s the same reason why Wilt is known for his athletic feats rather than his actual game. Same goes for any player that existed primarily pre-80s. I mean you’re kind of proving my point about hoops discourse talking about Larry’s shooting, passing and rebounding. All that is based upon highlights and box score numbers.

All you’ve got to do is listen in on any hoops convo, and it’ll essentially consist of comparing accolades and box score numbers. That’s how the NBA has marketed its product, purely as entertainment and nothing more, which comes as no surprise when fans don’t care about the past like that.

Instead of talking in circles it’s ok just to let a topic pass bro. You’re a really weird nikka b Lmaoooooo