Can we really blame Konami for tossing Kojima in the Bushes?

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
konami was being carried by kojima in the 2000s with ZOE and MGS. They aint did shyt worth a damn with castlevania or any of their other IPs. I mean where the fukk is suikoden? :dahell:

konami is ran by retards and i hope they die off and kojima prospers.

All because they wanted to make pachinko machines :pachaha:

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
Some people actually care about games as an art (kojima) some just care about how much money can be made short term (konami)

:francis:
This is true but running up costs for a decade to make one game?

Even Rockstar with their 8 year dev cycles don't run up the numbers like Kojima does...

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
This is true but running up costs for a decade to make one game?

Even Rockstar with their 8 year dev cycles don't run up the numbers like Kojima does...
Unless the game does not make a profit then it really doesnt matter.

Gta 5 was far more expensive to develop than metal gear 5.

Kojima was also creating a game engine on top of developing the game and I'm sure konami wasn't against that. If konami was actually doing something important with their other game franchises, which should be just as profitable as the metal gear series if managed right, they wouldn't have to rely on just metal gear and pachinko machines to generate a profit.

Metal gear solid 5 cost 80 million to develop, grand theft auto 5 cost 265 million to develop. Take two didnt go broke making gta 5 because they have other franchises that also generate a profit so they weren't just relying on gta 5.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
We're really siding with Konami in here? Like they didn't piss away and abandon all of their IPs that we love, like they weren't completely mismanaged and had horrible PR for at least a decade, like Kojima didn't give them their most recognized franchise?

:camby:

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
Unless the game does not make a profit then it really doesnt matter.

Gta 5 was far more expensive to develop than metal gear 5.

Kojima was also creating a game engine on top of developing the game and I'm sure konami wasn't against that. If konami was actually doing something important with their other game franchises, which should be just as profitable as the metal gear series if managed right, they wouldn't have to rely on just metal gear and pachinko machines to generate a profit.

Metal gear solid 5 cost 80 million to develop, grand theft auto 5 cost 265 million to develop. Take two didnt go broke making gta 5 because they have other franchises that also generate a profit so they weren't just relying on gta 5.
265 million to develop for a game that SOLD 95 million copies and generated over 6 billion in net profit...

How much money did MGSV make Konami? According to wikipedia MGSV only SHIPPED 6 million copies and had to do 3X the development cost for net profit...

Rockstar also built the RAGE engine from the ground up simultaneously with GTA4 just like Kojima did with MGSV...GTA4 is another title that generated over a billion dollars in net profit...

I also don't think its at all fair to compare T2 who is as large as EA to a small publisher like Konami...Of course T2 is going to be able to churn out more games while Rockstar cooks their next blockbuster...You can easily see why Konami, who don't have the same financial resources can't afford to develop other titles while Kojima takes up the entire games division budget...

Last edited:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
265 million to develop for a game that SOLD 95 million copies and generated over 6 billion in net profit...

How much money did MGSV make Konami? According to wikipedia MGSV only SHIPPED 6 million copies and had to do 3X the development cost for net profit...

Rockstar also built the RAGE engine from the ground up simultaneously with GTA4 just like Kojima did with MGSV...GTA4 is another title that generated over a billion dollars in net profit...

I also don't think its at all fair to compare T2 who is as large as EA to a small publisher like Konami...Of course T2 is going to be able to churn out more games while Rockstar cooks their next blockbuster...You can easily see why Konami, who don't have the financial resources can't afford to wait for Kojima and develop other titles simultaneously...
It made more than double its development cost in 24 hours and exceeded konami's expectations by a million units. That 6 million copies sold was from two years ago but if we go by those numbers, the game made more than 4X the development cost at 6 million units. Also konami said the game was already profitable at 3 million units sold, so it didnt have to make 3X the amount to be profitable.

If konami wasn't wasting money on lackluster castlevania and silent hill games they could have made more profit from those franchises instead of waiting around for metal gear.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
We're really siding with Konami in here? Like they didn't piss away and abandon all of their IPs that we love, like they weren't completely mismanaged and had horrible PR for at least a decade, like Kojima didn't give them their most recognized franchise?

:camby:

they bought hudson and have made one fukking bomberman game, and couldnt even get that dude a spot on the smash roster. its fukk konami until they pull their heads from their asses and start using those ips. i want a new bloody roar

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
they bought hudson and have made one fukking bomberman game, and couldnt even get that dude a spot on the smash roster. its fukk konami until they pull their heads from their asses and start using those ips. i want a new bloody roar
Yep. Is it Kojima fault that Contra, Suikoden and Castle-fukkin-vania got bushed?

At least they supported that Bomberman game a bit, but it was a half-assed release honestly

peppe

Superstar
Daps
I'll never forgive those fukk nikkas for messing with kojima and not letting him create act 3. THAT GAME WAS A MASTERPIECE :damn:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Konami has shown that they aren't interested in creating main stream games anymore, they are a company that would rather seek profits by cheaper means like pachinko machines and mobile games. They dont really care about to art of creating games, just making money as quick as possible.

Sucks that they have so many beloved game franchises that are being killed in the process. The least they could do is sell or license out their franchises to other companies to make proper games but they aren't interested in that.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
Run Thru U Like Skattebo
there is a kernel of truth in what OP says, but it's very overstated. his time tables and budgets while crazy still produce work and a "mystique" around the studio that konami mostly benefited from.