Can we Agree IMDB's Rating System >>> RT?

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
First of all people need to check RT’s average rating because a movie that averages 5/10 can be at 10% while a movie that average 6/10 can get 90%. I think it’s RT’s fault for not publicizing the average.

With IMDB, I say nah but mainly because I don’t trust any awards that are fan voted. Too easy for a movie like twilight to get 8’s and 9’s from teen girls.

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
It's better than RT's...

But it's biased to black movies...and not so coincidentally ONLY black movies...

Last edited:

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
I don't mess with RT and I hardly visit IMDb anymore after they closed the forums. The racist stuff I saw on IMDb was more in the forums than the ratings.

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
All the review sites have their issues.

IMDB can be manipulated by voting campaigns, not to mention the countless 10s and 1s

Metacritic uses unknown formulas in their scores as all reviews aren't weighed equally

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Yeah, I dont fukk with IMDB because they have a black movie bias.

Metacritic is probably the best site to use for ratings, but its really about what excites you and what doesn't.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Ohh it received a splattered tomato........ fukk outta here with that cornball shyt

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
It's better than RT's...RT is median

But it's biased to black movies...and not so coincidentally ONLY black movies...

one of the reason I don't take it seriously.

you gotta find cats with similar interests as you to see how they feel. Do that and you good.

Too many cats with obvious agendas, clickbait reviews, are out there.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
I have observed that google user ratings have been the most accurate. Pretty much any site that isn't a movie site like google and yahoo but still lets you rate movies is better IMO because it isn't tainted by snobby film critics.

Last edited:

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
I've never fukked with RT. IMDB was the first site I found, and the only site I use for ratings.

Now of course everyone needs to make their own judgement, but I trust IMDB ratings morE when it comes to others.

They need to bring back their msg board. :francis:

Idgaf what anyone says, IMDB's rating system is the GOAT. I actually rarely look at a movie's ratings/reviews before watching (just go on instinct tbh), but whenever I go to rate a movie after I've seen it, 85+% of the time the ratings match my own +/- a point.

RT's ratings system seems really bizarre to me. I've seen too many good movies rated as rotten and too many garbage movies rated as FRESH in the high 80s/90s to buy into it. Their whole system seems really binary for a lot of films. Tbh they rely way too heavily on critical reviews which is ridiculous given that by now we all know how unreliable and out of touch most critics actually are. They'll lap up any boring bullshyt Oscarbait that the average person is unimpressed by. It makes no sense.

I miss IMDB's message boards too though. I was heated af when they announced the closure, especially with the bullshyt reasoning they gave. It was pretty much the only place you could go to discuss some random 13 year old film you just saw and find like 7 other people who just recently watched it too and wanted to talk about it.