Can we Agree IMDB's Rating System >>> RT?

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i generally use word of mouth from people i trust these days, but if i'm browsing through netflix or something... sometimes i will go to IMDB. it's a decent gauge depending on what you're looking at.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
It's the coli man, people are touchy.

Anyway the way it works is, the score is the number of critics who say something is fresh vs rotten. It's not an indicator of how many reviews give it a certain score. So for instance lets say all critics looked at Sorcerer and gave it a 7/10 score, which is a good score. They'd then go to rotten tomatoes, submit their review and whether the movie is fresh or rotten. If they all said its fresh with that score, the movie would have a 100% score, which some people take to mean all critics think the movie is perfect and worth that score of 100. When in reality, it just means 100% of critics say it's good and worth your time.

So when cats on here or other sites say "I didn't think it was worth a 95% score" they're taking it to mean critics scored the movie at a 95 as opposed to the truth which is 95% of critics surveyed said its a good movie.

The problem with the system though, besides its arbitrary nature, is that a lot of people don't actually read the reviews. They look at the score and keep moving. So they may miss a review that's fairly lukewarm on the movie even if the reviewer thinks its fresh. It takes the nuance out of film criticism and writing because we're just a dumb society in 2017 and want the easiest and quickest way possible to achieve our means

Isn't that pretty much the same way for IMDB ratings? Just pro critics with a smaller amount of reviewers.

It's a rounded percentage, right? Like if someone gives it a 7, another gives it an 8, another a 9, the movie would be around 75%-85%

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Isn't that pretty much the same way for IMDB ratings? Just pro critics with a smaller amount of reviewers.

It's a rounded percentage, right? Like if someone gives it a 7, another gives it an 8, another a 9, the movie would be around 75%-85%

Yeah that’s how IMDb works but not rotten tomatoes. Rotten tomatoes averages the number of critics who say fresh or rotten. It doesn’t take into account their score for the review. So if I have a 7/10 review and give it a fresh it doesn’t equate my 7 to a score. It doesn’t care what my number is. All it cares about is fresh or rotten

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Yeah that’s how IMDb works but not rotten tomatoes. Rotten tomatoes averages the number of critics who say fresh or rotten. It doesn’t take into account their score for the review. So if I have a 7/10 review and give it a fresh it doesn’t equate my 7 to a score. It doesn’t care what my number is. All it cares about is fresh or rotten
So what's with the percentage factor? Like if 5 critics give it fresh and 5 give it rotten, it's 50%?

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
imdb's ratings were always trash. the message board discussions were a much better gauge.

imdb message boards don't exist anymore, no reason to visit the site now. :yeshrug:

i go to youtube, type in a movie name, and search for black reviewers if i want an opinion anymore.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Be nice if people actually bothered to learn how the various ratings systems work instead of constantly bytching about them.

Seriously, as obsessed as some of yall are with these ratings you'd think at least a bit of your energy would be spent learning how the ratings system works and what they actually mean.

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
I don't understand the hate in here. Enough to call people who look for opinions and reviews sheep. I mean obviously you should watch a movie/show for your own personal entertainment and if a movie is rated 4.4/10 most likely you will lean away from it. But damn you dudes acting like their rating system isn't some what close to being accurate considering the highest rated movies/shows are loved by the masses and you end up loving them too most of the time.People don't take these ratings to heart people just uses these ratings as recommendations more than anything. Like if you want to watch a length series but you have no idea where you start you just type in top 250 idmb tv shows. Then you see the wire is rated is 9.2 then you google what the wire is about. Then you watch. Then you enjoy. The only problem I see is when someone refuses to watch anything lower than a 8. Then its like those people become "elite" film watchers the same way some guys are in here acting "elite" the opposite way like lol using that site to find the next option of film to watch dork!

I don't take it that serious and use that site all the time for recs.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
No:russ: none of this shyt is science. Not a single one of them. It's all about who you agree with. Either you agree with critics who (mostly) get paid for their work or fans who vote on IMDB:manny: you take your pick and you roll the dice.

Personally, I don't "trust" anyone's ratings because, as a film critic put it s bluntly recently, the person reviewing the film isn't me. They have their opinion, I have mine. And I'll be damned if I let someone else's opinion deter me from seeing something I really want to see. All of this shyt is opinion at the end of the day

IMDBs rating system is a helpful yardstick of older movies imo. Same goes for the Oscars. "Hey, maybe check out these movies" and then you can dig deeper.

All black movies on IMDb are rated low because they’re black movies

There is no such thing as black movies, same goes for white movies.

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
imdb's ratings were always trash. the message board discussions were a much better gauge.

imdb message boards don't exist anymore, no reason to visit the site now. :yeshrug:

i go to youtube, type in a movie name, and search for black reviewers if i want an opinion anymore.
The only problem being brothas usually spoil like crazy in reviews.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
You guys could just ask me since I have the trademarked "only opinion that ever matters". It would certainly have saved you from having to read them long-ass posts by @MartyMcFly in this thread.