Can we Agree IMDB's Rating System >>> RT?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You can say they're both equally shytty. :manny:

His point is this tho: for a certain amount of time, imdb said the dark knight was the greatest movie of all time. Before that Shawshank redemption. Are those movies great? Yeah. But the greatest of all time? That feels like a stretch. And the reason dark knight got that distinction is because fanboys all banded together to vote it the greatest of all time.

Rotten tomatoes isn’t shytty just because one disagrees with the opinions of the critics. That’s bugged out to me

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
You can say they're both equally shytty. :manny:

Nah.

Peep this one...

whose_streets_745x420_mnt.jpg

Whose Streets? (2017) - IMDb
IMDB - 4.3
vs
Whose Streets?
RottenTomatoes - 99%

One of the two systems can get trolled by a racist Reddit campaign. The other, while not without it's own faults, is clearly the superior system.

How many people who voted on Whose Streets on IMDB actually watched the doc? I'd venture almost none of those who 1-starred it did.....

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Nah.

Peep this one...

IMDB - 4.3
vs
Whose Streets?
RottenTomatoes - 99%

One of the two systems can get trolled by a racist Reddit campaign. The other, while not without it's own faults, is clearly the superior system.

How many people who voted on Whose Streets on IMDB actually watched the doc? I'd venture almost none of those who 1-starred it did.....

Yup. One system even if you disagree with the opinions has accountability by it. The other is anonymous and can very easily be manipulated

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
His point is this tho: for a certain amount of time, imdb said the dark knight was the greatest movie of all time. Before that Shawshank redemption. Are those movies great? Yeah. But the greatest of all time? That feels like a stretch. And the reason dark knight got that distinction is because fanboys all banded together to vote it the greatest of all time.

Rotten tomatoes isn’t shytty just because one disagrees with the opinions of the critics. That’s bugged out to me

I know what he meant. Everyone can have a shytty opinion tho. :youngsabo:
Nah.

Peep this one...

IMDB - 4.3
vs
Whose Streets?
RottenTomatoes - 99%

Superior? That's a matter of opinion. :youngsabo:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Nope, I just take it at face value: pro critics Rating/reviewing movies/shows.

Why would I be offended?

It's the coli man, people are touchy.

Anyway the way it works is, the score is the number of critics who say something is fresh vs rotten. It's not an indicator of how many reviews give it a certain score. So for instance lets say all critics looked at Sorcerer and gave it a 7/10 score, which is a good score. They'd then go to rotten tomatoes, submit their review and whether the movie is fresh or rotten. If they all said its fresh with that score, the movie would have a 100% score, which some people take to mean all critics think the movie is perfect and worth that score of 100. When in reality, it just means 100% of critics say it's good and worth your time.

So when cats on here or other sites say "I didn't think it was worth a 95% score" they're taking it to mean critics scored the movie at a 95 as opposed to the truth which is 95% of critics surveyed said its a good movie.

The problem with the system though, besides its arbitrary nature, is that a lot of people don't actually read the reviews. They look at the score and keep moving. So they may miss a review that's fairly lukewarm on the movie even if the reviewer thinks its fresh. It takes the nuance out of film criticism and writing because we're just a dumb society in 2017 and want the easiest and quickest way possible to achieve our means

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Do people not understand that RT is not a rating of 1 to 10 but just a recommendation to watch?

You'd actually have to read the individual reviews on the sites to get the ratings. People shyt on RT when they should just use Metacritic for their percentage needs.