Can we Agree IMDB's Rating System >>> RT?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
No:russ: none of this shyt is science. Not a single one of them. It's all about who you agree with. Either you agree with critics who (mostly) get paid for their work or fans who vote on IMDB:manny: you take your pick and you roll the dice.

Personally, I don't "trust" anyone's ratings because, as a film critic put it s bluntly recently, the person reviewing the film isn't me. They have their opinion, I have mine. And I'll be damned if I let someone else's opinion deter me from seeing something I really want to see. All of this shyt is opinion at the end of the day

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
No:russ: none of this shyt is science. Not a single one of them. It's all about who you agree with. Either you agree with critics who (mostly) get paid for their work or fans who vote on IMDB:manny: you take your pick and you roll the dice.

Personally, I don't "trust" anyone's ratings because, as a film critic put it s bluntly recently, the person reviewing the film isn't me. They have their opinion, I have mine. And I'll be damned if I let someone else's opinion deter me from seeing something I really want to see. All of this shyt is opinion at the end of the day
Well, yeah, we all gotta make our own view on stuff (which I stated), but there are times where we lean on other opinions to guide us, especially with media.

Sometimes a trailer isn't enough. Is the film/show worth the time? Read some quick reviews or a rating to help out with a decision.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Well, yeah, we all gotta make our own view on stuff (which I stated), but there are times where we lean on other opinions to guide us, especially with media.

Sometimes a trailer isn't enough. Is the film/show worth the time? Read some quick reviews or a rating to help out with a decision.

I feel you. I just gave up on that shyt after college. Not saying everyone else has to or everyone who doesn't/haven't is on some silly shyt, but I really stopped giving a damn about reviews 10 years ago and haven't looked back. I think it helps to have worked with writers or become one yourself so it lends some perspective to the whole thing.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
No.

Using any system is dumb and frankly sheepish.

People only use that type of shyt for confirmation bias and to back up Internet arguments and then ignore it when it doesn't fit their agenda.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I feel you. I just gave up on that shyt after college. Not saying everyone else has to or everyone who doesn't/haven't is on some silly shyt, but I really stopped giving a damn about reviews 10 years ago and haven't looked back. I think it helps to have worked with writers or become one yourself so it lends some perspective to the whole thing.
Elaborate. :jbhmm:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Elaborate. :jbhmm:

Writing isn't a science. Film criticism isn't a science. There's no formula to it man. I've seen writers go to press screenings and have their feelings immediately. I've seen some sit on shyt and wait until they really know how they feel and what they want to say. And then there are those who actually do what we do here: they talk it out amongst their peers to figure it out or actually just go with what everyone else is saying because they're human and don't want to be the oddballs. Some film critics are actual film students and talk about it from an educational standpoint. Then you've got some who simply said they wanted to do the entertainment beat so that was the job they got and they like movies and tv so why not get paid to talk about it?

Also, the internet (as a collective) puts a lot more importance on their work and their ratings than they do, which is always the most hilarious thing about it:russ: Cats live and die off Rotten Tomato scores and Metacritic scores but a lot of the people who contribute to that stuff don't see it as that important at all. They feel like they're one voice in a sea of many and they acknowledge they could be wrong. I've heard critics question if someone will look at their words in 10-20 years the way they look at the critics who bashed The Thing in '82.

Bottomline, for the most part, they're just like you man and the minute you realize that, the less all of this shyt will mean to you. The only thing that separates them from the layperson is they get paid to write and most of them are good writers. Other than that?:manny:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Writing isn't a science. Film criticism isn't a science. There's no formula to it man. I've seen writers go to press screenings and have their feelings immediately. I've seen some shyt on shyt and wait until they really know how they feel and what they want to say. And then there are those who actually do what we do here: they talk it out amongst their peers to figure it out or actually just go with what everyone else is saying because they're human and don't want to be the oddballs. Some film critics are actual film students and talk about it from an educational standpoint. Then you've got some who simply said they wanted to do the entertainment beat so that was the job they got and they like movies and tv so why not get paid to talk about it?

Also, the internet (as a collective) puts a lot more importance on their work and their ratings than they do, which is always the most hilarious thing about it:russ: Cats live and die off Rotten Tomato scores and Metacritic scores but a lot of the people who contribute to that stuff don't see it as that important at all. They feel like they're one voice in a sea of many and they acknowledge they could be wrong. I've heard critics question if someone will look at their words in 10-20 years the way they look at the critics who bashed The Thing in '82.

Bottomline, for the most part, they're just like you man and the minute you realize that, the less all of this shyt will mean to you. The only thing that separates them from the layperson is they get paid to write and most of them are good writers. Other than that?:manny:
I'm not a dude who swears by these sites. I just use IMDb for guidance on certain flicks.

Only 24 hours in a day, is the 20-120 minutes or so worth the time to watch this movie/show? Is the blu worth buying? :patrice:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'm not a dude who swears by these sites. I just use IMDb for guidance on certain flicks.

Only 24 hours in a day, is the 20-120 minutes or so worth the time to watch this movie/show? Is the blu worth buying? :patrice:

Yeah I can't speak on IMDB. Again that's just people voting on shyt so it comes down to you whomever you want to believe:manny: I normally go with the director or the actor or the subject matter. If I'm down with any of that, there's a good chance I'll cop