Can someone explain Drake's thought process behind the Whitney, Dave Free and Top Dawg angles?

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kendrick don't have no skeletons so the only thing he had to pull from was Mr Morale but there's no real diss record worthy info on there so he had to make shyt up.

None of the shyt made sense. On Push Ups the nikka said I be with some bodyguards like Whitney which implies a relationship with a bodyguard but then on Family Matters the bodyguard turned into Dave Free. Them OVO writers was just giving that nikka Drake anything and hoping for the best.

Last edited:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Tbf, Family Matters was huge in real time(IE that 40mins-60mins) before Meet the Grahams dropped). I’m not Drake biggest fan, but Drake rapped his ass off and the criticisms of Kendrick(fake hotep, etc) seemed like legit gripes and criticisms others have had. Lie or truth, it was a genius move in real time to talk about the co-parenting, cuckoldry, and the alleged domestic. Kendrick is just REALLY good at the counter attack and stuck with the verifiable stuff(with the exception of the daughter). Ppl were digging up old videos and photos of Drake with young women for weeks.
Make no mistake, the music video with the lyrics, the DV claims, dave free shyt, crushing the GKMC van, having all the pharrell chains that he lied about melting down, etc. was shocking in real time. But everyone still walked away with questions in their head "but is this true?" Just look at some of the legit first reaction videos out there, anyone who was giving actual detailed opinions on it said the same thing. We just knew dot had a lot of work to do, but it never felt like a knockout punch.

The rest is history. It's pretty obvious drake should've actually kept it PG and kept it above the belt.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
Whoever wrote the line for him “I get more love in your city than you” I think he let that get to his head, thats the only explanation I got. “Whitney” is not a public figure, it was futile to continue to poke at that angle about someone that nobody knows. + using Pac’s voice was an alley oop for Kendrick to galvanize the West. Its like if these two were running for office, one side did everything wrong that you could possibly imagine while the other put on a clinic.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
All of them did approach Drake like he was Thanos tho. Maybe Kendrick didn’t have to in the end, but he did initially :ld:
Nah we not gonna rewrite history this early into the oral tradition.

When Kendrick threw down the gauntlet, he was legit prepared for it to be a 1v2 vs Drake, the supposed top dog of this generation, and Cole, the numero uno that everyone was saying was the current best rapper alive. I remember in real time a large consensus was Cole was the best rapper at this point in time and would crush Kendrick lyrically. And Dot called the bluff on that and said fukk both of yall nikkas, lets get it.

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
Its just no dirt on Kendrick. I still think he's one if the most overrated rappers in history tho. Drake just was no match for his faux blackness

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
The Whitney angle is just Drake's wheelhouse at this point. He does not know how to beef without going at women. So trying to find some angle there was predictable.

What I always found goofy was the Top controls your career angle. On one hand, Top is forcing him to do songs for the Swifties, but on the other hand Top is allowing him to take 5 years off before releasing a therapy album? Make it make sense.

On another note

Shorty is Compton as fukk:mjlol:

Morethan1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
Whoever wrote the line for him “I get more love in your city than you” I think he let that get to his head, thats the only explanation I got. “Whitney” is not a public figure, it was futile to continue to poke at that angle about someone that nobody knows. + using Pac’s voice was an alley oop for Kendrick to galvanize the West. Its like if these two were running for office, one side did everything wrong that you could possibly imagine while the other put on a clinic.

Regardless they not like us was going to be the next record right?

I know Dot said he had 10 more but I often wonder what else would he had put out.