Can a Arcadiumbreh explain to me like a Joey of why the Microsoft/Activision deal is controversial?

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Bruh the price of EVERYTHING has gone up. Hell Arizona tea which was $.99 forever is $1.49 now. It's an inevitable part of life bruh.:heh:

Sony upped the price of games from $60 to $70... you know why? They control 70% of the market and knows you're gonna have to pay for them or guess what... NO GAMES. If anything this should make Sony now have to put out absolute banger after banger to justify that $70 price tag, instead of a remake of a game that has TWO fukkING REMASTERS, or some mid ass shyt like Horizon.
Hence why I want choices. I can wait for Horizon to go on sale. Wait till its on the PC. Wait until it's available on a streaming service. Borrow it from my folks. Might want to buy Digital. Maybe buy physical so I can get some Best Buy points or something.

Choices.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Hence why I want choices. I can wait for Horizon to go on sale. Wait till its on the PC. Wait until it's available on a streaming service. Borrow it from my folks. Might want to buy Digital. Maybe buy physical so I can get some Best Buy points or something.

Choices.
You do realize you don't have to have a Gamepass subscription... you can just buy the game... and they go on sale too right? You HAVE choices already. I own both consoles because they both have shyt I like and because you know... choices.

Guess what, with my Gamepass subscription I was able to play Atomic Heart through my sub and not pay $70 for a game that is worth $30 MAX.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I thought this was going to be revolutionary, but so far I seen the FTC getting into the ordeal, Sony trying to intervene, and content creators not too keen of the idea. My question as a gaming marsupial who is lost in the fences of human news, why are we pissed about this merger?

Microsoft is eating up too much of the 3rd party pie out there it is effectively becoming a monopoly...:beli: but what do i care because according to meach that's from Sony Stans...:troll:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I as a gamer want choices. That subscription fee will go up. How high, who knows. If there's a point were I no longer want to pay for it, my access to those games is gone.

Large Scale Consolidation rarely benefits the consumer.
You can buy the games for $70 if you want. No choices will be or have been removed from you,

The large scale consolidation already happened which is why one game like COD can hold such power over the 1 market leader who became that leader through said consolidation.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I don't really have time to go back and forth.

But you guys are describing how it is currently. Before the acquisition

Once M$ decides buying everything up works and corners the market that will change. Might be 10 years from now, but it's not something I'm looking forward to.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

Once M$ decides buying everything up works and corners the market that will change. Might be 10 years from now, but it's not something I'm looking forward to.
Without microsoft or somebody else making big moves then you are at the mercy of Sony, and we’ve already seen what they do when they don’t feel they need to compete.

At the very least in the short term microsoft’s plans are more beneficial to consumers.

If anything this will just make sony try harder and everyone will benefit.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps

There are only two console makers: Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo is a handheld gaming company that you can dock on your TV to play there. If we are going by the numbers right now there already is a monopoly on the console gaming market going on right now... and newsflash Microsoft isn't the one with the monopoly.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Without microsoft or somebody else making big moves then you are at the mercy of Sony, and we’ve already seen what they do when they don’t feel they need to compete.

At the very least in the short term microsoft’s plans are more beneficial to consumers.

If anything this will just make sony try harder and everyone will benefit.
So we should be at the mercy of M$ instead? We've seen how M$ likes to compete with the Windows/IE Lawsuits in the 90s.

How short is that term? What happens when they buy Take 2, Square, Etc "cause they can"?

It's a slippery slope.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
So we should be at the mercy of M$ instead? We've seen how M$ likes to compete with the Windows/IE Lawsuits in the 90s.

How short is that term? What happens when they buy Take 2, Square, Etc "cause they can"?

It's a slippery slope.
Unless I'm mistaken Activision came to Microsoft seeking to be bought, not the other way around. What makes you think Microsoft wants to buy Take2, or Square(a company which is clearly getting ready to merge completely into the Sony umbrella here soon)?

Like I said as a gamer you should not give a shyt, all this would do is make Sony step their game up. You will win in the end.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
There are only two console makers: Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo is a handheld gaming company that you can dock on your TV to play there. If we are going by the numbers right now there already is a monopoly on the console gaming market going on right now... and newsflash Microsoft isn't the one with the monopoly.
How did Sony get there? Yea they paid for exclusives, but the developer had the option to say no and have a multiplatform release, or renegotiate for something else (exclusivity period, price, etc).

That's gone.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Microsoft an almost two trillion dollar company bought a gaming company for over 7 billion dollars in 2021, a year later they purchased activision the largest 3rd party publisher for 69 billion, which is larger than disney buying fox.

Did people think this was gonna be another walk in the park? Its the largest corporate merger in entertainment and brings up anti-competitive concerns. The regulators are doing their jobs and the stans are reacting accordingly
And sony doing what?

Deal would be all but pretty much done if not for the back and forth with them.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Unless I'm mistaken Activision came to Microsoft seeking to be bought, not the other way around. What makes you think Microsoft wants to buy Take2, or Square(a company which is clearly getting ready to merge completely into the Sony umbrella here soon)?

Like I said as a gamer you should not give a shyt, all this would do is make Sony step their game up. You will win in the end.
Don't forget the ZeniMax purchase made a year or 2 ago. They are in the process of buying whatever they can get their hands on.

Activision has been doing the same thing over the last decade or 2 and we see where that got us.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
How did Sony get there? Yea they paid for exclusives, but the developer had the option to say no and have a multiplatform release, or renegotiate for something else (exclusivity period, price, etc).

That's gone.
Ok, so the fukk what? This is business bruh, what does Microsoft buying Activision which is really them buying 3- 4 IP's(CoD, Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo) have to do with you as a gamer? Are you employed by Sony or a major shareholder, you shouldn't give a shyt. The fact that I can't play Final Fantasy on Xbox at all anymore basically because Sony has essentially locked Microsoft out of those games doesn't bother me because you know why... I OWN A PS5.

As a gamer I give no shyts about that, just because I own a particular console does not mean I should have access to everything forever. Especially considering Sony forcing console parity is actually holding the Series X back from what it is truly capable of as a piece of hardware. Sony has 70% of the console market and y'all are complaining because Microsoft wants to somewhat even the playing field and is still giving Sony the option to keep Call of Duty on their console?

You literally have not presented one good reason as a gamer why I should give a shyt if Microsoft buys Activision or not. Y'all talk like stockholders not gamers. Even once this merger does happen(it more than likely will) Sony will still have the largest install base and still have plenty of studios to make games with, this is in no way gonna slow Sony down as a staff, record label, or as a mufukkin crew.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ok, so the fukk what? This is business bruh, what does Microsoft buying Activision which is really them buying 3- 4 IP's(CoD, Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo) have to do with you as a gamer? Are you employed by Sony or a major shareholder, you shouldn't give a shyt. The fact that I can't play Final Fantasy on Xbox at all anymore basically because Sony has essentially locked Microsoft out of those games doesn't bother me because you know why... I OWN A PS5.

As a gamer I give no shyts about that, just because I own a particular console does not mean I should have access to everything forever. Especially considering Sony forcing console parity is actually holding the Series X back from what it is truly capable of as a piece of hardware. Sony has 70% of the console market and y'all are complaining because Microsoft wants to somewhat even the playing field and is still giving Sony the option to keep Call of Duty on their console?

You literally have not presented one good reason as a gamer why I should give a shyt if Microsoft buys Activision or not. Y'all talk like stockholders not gamers. Even once this merger does happen(it more than likely will) Sony will still have the largest install base and still have plenty of studios to make games with, this is in no way gonna slow Sony down as a staff, record label, or as a mufukkin crew.
Ironic you say this but sound like a Xbox fanboy all the while lol.
That "parity" shyt isn't even true.