California reparations bill to be signed into law today at 5pm

Cobalt Sire

All Star
Daps
All of us supposed "Secret Trump supporters" are getting shyt done for black people. Motherfukkers got the nerve to come out of their mouth about us. Talking about we should be banned. Constantly disrespecting us, negging us. Neg our results, motherfukkers. Who are the real agents again? We're operating on a level that you guys just don't understand.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Rollie Martin, April Rye, Joy Reid, all the Boule Black Media bootlicks who talked trash about #ADOS yall punk azz nikkaz owe us an apology!!!

Some of them been in politics and media for 30 fukking years and never got any policy like this to move.
Yall don't get no credit for this!!

have any of these type of people said anything about the bill yet? or is it to early?

Big Boda

My Family Are Not Immigrants.
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
400 Year Survivors Of American Slavery.
Stuff like this is why I have transitioned to using the ignore function on this site i have been told repeatedly "Yall will never get reperations or tangibles" by non foundationals on This forum on some time wasting troll shyt.

people that don't even live in america that post here have been on that bullshyt.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
California Governor Gavin Newsom Signs Bill Opening Door To Paying Slavery Reparations

• Tom Tapp
    September 30, 2020 2:41PM PDT
screen-shot-2020-08-19-at-1.20.46-pm.png

After watching last night’s debate,” said California Governor Gavin Newsom on Wednesday, “this signing can’t come too soon.”

He was, of course, referring to outcry after president Donald Trump declined to denounce white supremacist groups during his debate with Joe Biden on Tuesday night.

Newsom the signed Assembly Bill 3121 into law on Wednesday. The bill opens the door to the state paying reparations to Black Californians, especially those who are descendants of slaves. It specifically calls out insurance companies:

Existing law requests the Regents of the University of California to assemble a colloquium of scholars to draft a research proposal to analyze the economic benefits of slavery that accrued to owners and the businesses, including insurance companies and their subsidiaries, that received those benefits, and to make recommendations to the Legislature regarding those findings.

Existing law requires the Insurance Commissioner to request and obtain information from insurers licensed and doing business in this state regarding any records of slaveholder insurance policies issued by any predecessor corporation during the slavery era. Existing law requires insurers to research and report to the commissioner on insurance policies that provided coverage for injury to, or death of, enslaved people.

AB 3121 does not commit to any specific payments. It calls for a nine-person task force that will make recommendations for how reparations could happen, whether through compensation or restitution.

The task force created by the bill will consist of five gubernatorial appointees and four people chosen by the state legislature. “The Governor shall call the first meeting of the Task Force to occur no later than June 1, 2021,” it states. The task force is instructed to deliver recommendations no more than 12 months from that date.

The task force’s powers, according to the law, include:

-Holding hearings and sit and act at any time and location in California
Request the attendance and testimony of witnesses

-Seek an order from a Superior Court compelling testimony or compliance with a subpoena

Read the full text of 3121 here.

For those who think slavery did not exist in California, there are these passages — and many others — from the state’s official Historical Society on the subject:

California’s constitution proclaimed that “neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, unless for punishment of a crime, shall ever be tolerated.” Yet archives statewide contain evidence that slavery was practiced out in the open.

In 1848 when the gold rush hit, white southerners flocked to the state with hundreds of enslaved Black people, forcing them to toil in gold mines, often hiring them out to cook, serve, or perform a variety of labor. Sometimes fortunes were amassed on the backs of this free labor. Yet California’s place in the nation’s history of slavery is missing from most historical accounts and many are surprised to learn of its practice in the golden state.

Among those on the Zoom call for the signing were members of the California Black Caucus, the Chicano Caucus and also Ice Cube, who was singled out specifically by the bill’s sponsor, Assemblywoman Shirley Weber (D-San Diego), as “one of our real champions” who has supported the effort. He also got a “thank you” from Newsom just before the signing.

Cube later tweeted his thanks to the governor.

Weber called the bill “ground breaking,” and pointed out the bills were authored last year, long before the death of George Floyd and so many others sparked protests. “A lot of people think we’re responding to the moment,” said Webber, before pointing out that the imperatives go much further back. “We’re responding to the history of California.”

The task force can also make recommendations on eliminating state laws and policies that perpetuate discrimination and on issuing a formal apology “for the perpetration of gross human rights violations and crimes against humanity on African slaves and their descendants,” according to the bill.

California has come to terms with many of issues, but it has yet to come to terms with its role in slavery,” said Weber, who chairs the black caucus and introduced the Assembly Bill 3121, said at the bill signing ceremony. “AB 3121 is groundbreaking for the United States, to basically say this state is going to deal with the issue of reparation and we’ll make a difference as the result of that.”

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Right...surprise surprise this happened in a Democrat state. If we followed ADOS and not voted for Gavin and let the racist Republicans win this wouldn't have even gotten this far. Gavin didn't run on reparation research...if he did he might've lost the white vote :coffee:

Didn’t you say reparations wasn’t happening? Also insinuated that it wasn’t worth fighting for?

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
So you vote down ballot yet let the President be Republican while he fill the courts with racist judges thus making it even harder for reparations to become a reality.

One of the dumbest things I've ever heard of hence the reason most folk that believe in not voting for the president will lead to reparations are led by snake oil salesman like Tariq and Yvette.

Again @Barnett114

First, you imply they push republican. Now, it's something else. AGAIN, we push DEMS. WE VOTE DEMS.

ADOS is not Tariq.

And most of ADOS and even this VERY BILL is not from Yvette - but people who support Reparations and ADOS initiatives. ADOS who are coming together and doing things on their OWN.

So, please miss me with Tone, Yvette and Tariq -- most ADOS don't give AF about them.

Good day!

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I still say it won't happen but I never said it wasn't worth fighting for I said it's not worth not voting thus making your life harder in hopes for a check from these racist cacs in a country that won't even give white children free healthcare in a pandemic :coffee:
reported.

@Barnett114 @Houston911

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
I still say it won't happen but I never said it wasn't worth fighting for I said it's not worth not voting thus making your life harder in hopes for a check from these racist cacs in a country that won't even give white children free healthcare in a pandemic :coffee:
Well then what are you in here for? You had nothing to do with this passing, and didn’t support it in any way. Don’t you go around telling folks that say they aren’t voting to stay out of voting threads?

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I didn't say they push Republican...I said they let Republicans stay in the white house by not voting for Democrat presidents which is what the Republicans want hence the reason Trump thanked blacks for not voting for his opponent.

You are derailing this thread.

Reported. :smile: