Buying digital games has become game preservation for me.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
nothing beats physical collecting, true digital ownership (GOG) or piracy. you cant expect any digital marketplace to keep your digital rights purchases accessible as some kind of time capsule decades from now. they exist to make a profit, not to keep being nice years after they have stopped extracting revenue from you
In the case of Microsoft their whole business plan is cloud stuff.

They will definitely keep track of my ownership for longer than I’d keep up with physical discs.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Physical will always be the way digital is just more covenient. Especially on consoles where all the games are basically tied to the company's servers so if the servers are down you don't really have acess to them. I.E (whenever PSN is down for maintenance or has gotten hacked and worked on their servers) you can't play your digitally owned games

Fred
Physical games have a shelf life. DVDs are said to last an estimated 100 years. They will probably outlast you but your kids likely won't be passing them down. As long as you can maintain access to a digital game it can last forever. You can transfer the storage media it's on.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
No.

Games are connected now.

Very few modern games could you “preserve” the way they should be played through piracy.

Emulation and modding just makes the case for connected games. You're otherwise at the mercy of the publisher to keep the lights going for larger titles (be it authentication or otherwise), or you pound dirt when you can't for everything else.

This doesn't even take into account the true ownership nature that @NZA brings up. The permissiveness of your license is also a negative on some (most?) digital storefronts. Revocation of ownership and denial of entry for components is a problem.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Emulation and modding just makes the case for connected games. You're otherwise at the mercy of the publisher to keep the lights going for larger titles (be it authentication or otherwise), or you pound dirt when you can't for everything else.

This doesn't even take into account the true ownership nature that @NZA brings up. The permissiveness of your license is also a negative on some (most?) digital storefronts. Revocation of ownership and denial of entry for components is a problem.
That ship has sailed.

We are already at the mercy of publishers due to the way games are now built and released.

and no you are wrong they can’t and don’t revoke or deny digital ownership.

Once you buy the game you can access it indefinitely.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
That ship has sailed.

We are already at the mercy of publishers due to the way games are now built and released.

This doesn't discredit the ability to circumvent said options when the companies quit support, which is a major boon to things like homebrew, modding and emulation to keep access going.

and no you are wrong they can’t and don’t revoke or deny digital ownership.

Once you buy the game you can access it indefinitely.

I take it you've never really looked at the terms for some of these store fronts.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
This doesn't discredit the ability to circumvent said options when the companies quit support, which is a major boon to things like homebrew, modding and emulation to keep access going.
You generally can’t circumvent online and active servers. That takes lots of money Piracy doesn’t have.

Physical games are the same. They are licensed not sold.

In the doomsday scenario where pubs block you from your games, physical games would be in the same boat.

It’s my opinion that the “doomsday pubs revoke your privilege” scenario is just about as likely as a zombie apocalypse. Nothing we really have to worry about.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
You generally can’t circumvent online and active servers. That takes lots of money Piracy doesn’t have.

You could with Switch and PS3 emulators. However, in the case of PS3, they have opted to separate users for obvious reasons.

Physical games are the same. They are licensed not sold.

In the doomsday scenario where pubs block you from your games, physical games would be in the same boat.

It’s my opinion that the “doomsday pubs revoke your privilege” scenario is just about as likely as a zombie apocalypse. Nothing we really have to worry about.

Basically: no, you didn't read it. :dead:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You could with Switch and PS3 emulators. However, in the case of PS3, they have opted to separate users for obvious reasons.
That’s old shyt. I’m talking about modern games going forward.

Basically: no, you didn't read it. :dead:
It’s the same terms you get with a physical game.

Have you read/compared them :usure:

It’s the same for books, movies, and all other form of media. You are buying a license to use it, not own it.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
That’s old shyt. I’m talking about modern games going forward.

It’s the same terms you get with a physical game.

Have you read/compared them :usure:

It’s the same for books, movies, and all other form of media. You are buying a license to use it, not own it.
With a physical game a banned account isn't an issue. Game access persist across accounts. With a digital game if you suffer an account getting banned the game is stuck tied to it.

Also if a company says you violated their terms of service you absolutely can lose access to all the games you purchased as you agreed to their terms of service when you registered an account with them.