Buying digital games has become game preservation for me.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
With physical games you can easily transfer the license to a new account. With digital games those licenses are effectively revoked with the banned account.
a lot of optical discs have a barcode around the inner hub that could be used like a serial number. in my doomsday scenario, they could ban your disc

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I’m sure that’s in the cards in some way.

Once they truly get rid of discs, they are gonna have to offer some extra transfer/preservation options.
I think you're naive if you believe this. They aren't going to HAVE to do anything of the sort. You'll either have to give your account to your grandkids or they'll have to buy all those games again. No corporation will do anything that gives the consumer an advantage in this way unless there is some sort of lawsuit that hurts their bottom line. It damn sure won't be because they just decide to do it because it's the right damn thing to do. Not when there is a chance they may sell more copies of games if they don't do it.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I think you're naive if you believe this. They aren't going to HAVE to do anything of the sort. You'll either have to give your account to your grandkids or they'll have to buy all those games again. No corporation will do anything that gives the consumer an advantage in this way unless there is some sort of lawsuit that hurts their bottom line. It damn sure won't be because they just decide to do it because it's the right damn thing to do. Not when there is a chance they may sell more copies of games if they don't do it.
Worst case scenario is I just hand my kids a SSD full of games.

That’s still a better option than trying to keep up with dozens of discs:manny:

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Worst case scenario is I just hand my kids a SSD full of games.

That’s still a better option than trying to keep up with dozens of discs:manny:
Hopefully that'll be possible with the way licenses work. You may be forced to have a disc or 3 in there somewhere.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Been gaming for almost 30 years. Have had countless games and systems. Where any of that is now? I have no idea.

Ive never been a responsible collector, I have sold/lost/damaged pretty much every game I’ve ever owned.

That was until I started buying digital games. Right now I still have access the the first digital game I purchased almost 15 years ago, and every one sense.

So going forward when I buy games this is most important to me. I imagine a time when I can pass my account off to my kids/grandkids and they will have decades worth of games to play. Kinda like my own time capsule.

this makes sense. I had atari, nes, snes, N64, ps1, ps2, ps3, ps4 and ps5.

right now, the only thing I have still are PS3/PS4/PS5. I have my original NES also only cuz my moms found it while cleaning the basement last summer. but I have emulators for all those older systems anyways.

regardless, I never have the urge to play old games. the only stuff I wanna play is the PS4 or PS5. but I'm with you on digital games. no need to keep all those game disc and cartridges. digital is definitely the future with everyone having fast internet and the price of storage being so low (except on PS5).

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
Like I said. Confident ignorance. :scust:

Once all copies are sold You can’t walk in the store and buy Forza 7 either.

But if you already own it you can play and re-download it indefinitely. You lose your disk you no longer have the game period.
If you damage or lose the disc that's just a consequence of your actions, that's your problem. Sometimes you can't even download digital games once the store is closed.
Physical all the way.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
If you damage or lose the disc that's just a consequence of your actions, that's your problem. Sometimes you can't even download digital games once the store is closed.
Physical all the way.
If you delete a game, that’s just a consequence of your actions, that’s your problem. What makes you feel entitled to being able to re-download that game anytime you want?:stopitslime:

You can’t walk in GameStop and ask for another game.

At least with digital 99.9% of games you have a reasonable expectation that they will be available for re-download.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
If you damage or lose the disc that's just a consequence of your actions, that's your problem.
and if you lose games because you got your account banned, that's a consequence of your actions