Buying digital games has become game preservation for me.

Scaaar

Superstar
Daps
I can see this on steam and maybe Xbox but I've largely done with physical. I know down the road, I'm likely to have to pay more for consoles or add one to consoles that requires disc access for backwards compatibility.

The platform is key here. I wouldn't trust Nintendo with this for example.
Yeah ever since the whole 3ds virtual console thing I've been done with Nintendo. All those Gameboy and SNES games I bought are essentially locked onto that console:francis:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Yeah ever since the whole 3ds virtual console thing I've been done with Nintendo. All those Gameboy and SNES games I bought are essentially locked onto that console:francis:

Nintendo is horrible for this. They want to repackage and resell the same stuff to us. I use my wii u for that. It's my Nintendo arcade/museum machine. Same with my 3ds for mobile games.

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
You should still be able to play that. Delisted games can still be downloaded/played indefinitely. You just can’t buy it new if you didn’t already own it
I downloaded on gamepass. Once it got delisted, it wouldn't even launch. I can't remember the error message

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Crazy story, very recent too

I got the urge to play Split Second on PC. I bought the game many moons ago on Amazon. I have the 360 version as well but I read that there was a 60fps patch released a few years ago that I wanted to try.

The problem was that this game needs to contact securom servers to authenticate. They no longer exist so unless you have the game installed before the servers went offline, you are sol forever.

I reached out to Disney, asking if there was a remedy for both this and Pure, told in a nice way to kick rocks. There is a no-CD exe of both games out there but the problem for split second specifically is that it is for version 1.0 and while I can download Spilt Second from Amazon still, it is version 1.x. I said fukk it, went to hit up some torrent sites found the game, downloaded it, finally got it working. Next day, wake up with a DMCA notice in my email from Comcast.

:russ::deadmanny:

Brehs, I got knocked for pirating a game I fukking own. However if that way didn’t exist, it'd be a game lost to time.

You gotta use a site with direct download not the torrents to avoid DMCA, but if it was the only way to find that game it is what it is, fukk that notice

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
the title definitely holds true for me…by “hoarding” digital games it also means I’m obligated to play it at some point…with physical I’d sometimes buy games and they just sat there in a stack until the collection got too big and I’d just trade them in…this didn’t apply to AAA games that I’d more than likely play straight out the gate but those middle of the road games I was on the fence about and just said fukk it and bought cuz they were on sale

TheLostOnes

Laker for life
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Physical will always be the way digital is just more covenient. Especially on consoles where all the games are basically tied to the company's servers so if the servers are down you don't really have acess to them. I.E (whenever PSN is down for maintenance or has gotten hacked and worked on their servers) you can't play your digitally owned games

Fred

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Been gaming for almost 30 years. Have had countless games and systems. Where any of that is now? I have no idea.

Ive never been a responsible collector, I have sold/lost/damaged pretty much every game I’ve ever owned.

That was until I started buying digital games. Right now I still have access the the first digital game I purchased almost 15 years ago, and every one sense.

So going forward when I buy games this is most important to me. I imagine a time when I can pass my account off to my kids/grandkids and they will have decades worth of games to play. Kinda like my own time capsule.
15 years isn't a long time. Double that time and you'll likely be held responsible for your own early digital collection. Possibly might be different on Xbox because of xcloud and backwards compatible games means Microsoft likely keeps access to those older games but on Sony and Nintendo platforms I wouldn't hold my breath. At some point a switch will be flipped on those and you'll have to maintain your own access.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
nothing beats physical collecting, true digital ownership (GOG) or piracy. you cant expect any digital marketplace to keep your digital rights purchases accessible as some kind of time capsule decades from now. they exist to make a profit, not to keep being nice years after they have stopped extracting revenue from you

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Physical will always be the way digital is just more covenient. Especially on consoles where all the games are basically tied to the company's servers so if the servers are down you don't really have acess to them. I.E (whenever PSN is down for maintenance or has gotten hacked and worked on their servers) you can't play your digitally owned games

Fred
This isn’t true. Digital games are playable indefinitely. With or without being online.