Buju Banton - "Reggae Music Fight to Free Africa, but No African Artist Sings to Free Africa, Just Fukkery!!"

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I watched the video but im unsure of Buju's point. Was he saying that african music in general is fukkery or affobeats specifically?

He obviously can't make that claim because Buju Banton doesn't know the state of African music - from Algeria to Zimbabwe.

It's a ridiculous claim and it's like saying black people from Canada to Argentina only make music about shooting each other and dealing drugs
:snoop:

Shabazz

All Star
Daps
I don't know the totality of Afrobeats music (a genre of music from Nigeria and Ghana - 2 out of 52 African countries). But thankfully, there are other genres in African music than Afrobeats.
Afrobeats is the genre that has the worlds ear(therefore the diaspora’s ear)right now though. No mainstream afrobeats artist has a song about pan Africanism? An oppressed people with a genre as big as afrobeat should talk about their oppression, no?

StackorStarve

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
I think h
I watched the video but im unsure of Buju's point. Was he saying that african music in general is fukkery or afrobeats specifically?
I think his main point is a lot of reggae artists have made songs about African liberation but when Afrobeats became popular they didn’t reach back out to reggae artists and they typically don’t make songs about liberation of their own countries outside of a few people he named so he thinks it’s bullshyt.

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Afrobeats is the genre that has the worlds ear(therefore the diaspora’s ear)right now though. No mainstream afrobeats artist has a song about pan Africanism? An oppressed people with a genre as big as afrobeat should talk about their oppression, no?

Pretty sure the Burna Boy song that another poster had posted has pan-African themes (along with other songs of his such as Another Story, Monsters You Made, Higher etc.). That's just ONE Afrobeats artist.

Is there a drill song about pan-Africanism? Drill is VERY popular in the UK and other places in the African diaspora. There should be one, no? How are our African American drill musicians doing in terms of promoting pan-Africanism?

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
I think h

I think his main point is a lot of reggae artists have made songs about African liberation but when Afrobeats became popular they didn’t reach back out to reggae artists and they typically don’t make songs about liberation of their own countries outside of a few people he named so he thinks it’s bullshyt.

One major problem I've always had with "Afrobeats" is defining it. What the heck even is "Afrobeats"? How is it defined? At this point anything that comes out of Africa is being called "Afrobeats" and it's just a vague term

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
i read this as Reggie Mille fights to free Africa

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I think h

It's silly because in Jamaica, the most popular genre of music is Dancehall. Why is Buju Banton not discussing dancehall music in Jamaica and its themes?

This is why op's thread is terrible and he's likely a white supremacist like Clarence Thomas or Uncle Ruckus
@Busted_Toes

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
Not even @Buddy trying to free Africa. When he's not reeling from another man's performance (:dame: ), he's trying to attack other Black folk, namely ADOS.

:francis:
Yeah "breh", as a man I was thinking about sports-- Not some beauty pageant drama. Buju is talking about cats like you too. Always focused on fukkery :hhh:

Shabazz

All Star
Daps
Burnaboy is the biggest afrobeat artist in the world. He said afrobeat is about nothing. As someone who is aware of that, he should make a song about something.

Shabazz

All Star
Daps
Pretty sure the Burna Boy song that another poster had posted has pan-African themes (along with other songs of his such as Another Story, Monsters You Made, Higher etc.). That's just ONE Afrobeats artist.

Is there a drill song about pan-Africanism? Drill is VERY popular in the UK and other places in the African diaspora. There should be one, no? How are our African American drill musicians doing in terms of promoting pan-Africanism?
Drill is a sub genre of hip hop. Hip hop has a sub genre called conscious rap. You’re comparing apples to oranges. Afrobeat is a genre, what is the conscious rap sub genre equivalent in afrobeat?

StackorStarve

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
One major problem I've always had with "Afrobeats" is defining it. What the heck even is "Afrobeats"? How is it defined? At this point anything that comes out of Africa is being called "Afrobeats" and it's just a vague term
Facts. I have no clue where any of the artists outside of Wizkid and Burna Boy are from. All I know is women in DC at least was rocking with it so I was too

Shabazz

All Star
Daps

If burna made actual pan african songs i take what i said about him specifically back

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Drill is a sub genre of hip hop. Hip hop has a sub genre called conscious rap. You’re comparing apples to oranges. Afrobeat is a genre, what is the conscious rap sub genre equivalent in afrobeat?

Afrobeats isn't really a genre of music. It's a catch-all term Western journalists have made up to describe pop music from Anglo-speaking West Africa.

Where is the drill conscious music?!