Bright (Will Smith, dir. David Ayer) thread

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Maybe not 100% but the poster has the line Nexflix original movie in big letters :manny:
It wasn't a Netflix original movie though they had nothing to do with the production. The movie was already completed when they bought the rights and then it was distributed digitally not really the same thing as war machine/bright

Conz

Superstar
Daps
I still haven't seen Beasts to be fair, but if you asked, I'd lump that into a Netflix movie, so maybe it's the exception.

just every year they talk about "will this be the year a Netflix original is up for Best Picture?" and they just haven't come near that, imo.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
It wasn't a Netflix original movie though they had nothing to do with the production. The movie was already completed when they bought the rights and then it was distributed digitally not really the same thing as war machine/bright

I'd say War Machine looks like a proper movie, for the most part, even though I have many problems with it.

also Okja

Last edited:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
I'd say War Machine looks like a proper movie, for the most part, even though I have many problems with it.

also Okja
I ain't say it is or isn't I only mention it cuz it (like bright) is Netflix produced/distributed unlike Beast.

Should be directed towards the conz dude

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
I still haven't seen Beasts to be fair, but if you asked, I'd lump that into a Netflix movie, so maybe it's the exception.

just every year they talk about "will this be the year a Netflix original is up for Best Picture?" and they just haven't come near that, imo.
the thing is no movie will ever be best picture and it has nothing to do with quality. There was no excuse for beast not to be nominated other than politics. Just having the Netflix tag taints a movie in the academy's eyes

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
This looks pretty shytty if you ask me. I dig the concept (and never understood why there aren't more movies/books that make fantasy a breathing part of modern life) but this looks "ehhhh" all over the place. I get why Ayers jumped on it since it's a cop flick but the fantasy part looks so understated and half-assed. It might be because of what @Conz said because a lot of Netflix original movies definitely have that "something's off" vibe.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
btw this trailer lost me as soon as they said "magic wand." i know the story, I've read the script, i know what said wand does, but still, they couldn't have come up with a different word for it or something? this gritty ass Training Day shyt and then some dude says the words "magic wand." the fantastical elements of the world don't make up for those words. it just sounded incredibly ridiculous.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
This looks pretty shytty if you ask me. I dig the concept (and never understood why there aren't more movies/books that make fantasy a breathing part of modern life) but this looks "ehhhh" all over the place. I get why Ayers jumped on it since it's a cop flick but the fantasy part looks so understated and half-assed. It might be because of what @Conz said because a lot of Netflix original movies definitely have that "something's off" vibe.
they're still pretending as far as I'm concerned. They think they're a major studio, but they don't have it down pat yet. i feel that way about a lot of their tv shows too. there's just something that makes it feel a step below really good tv.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
the thing is no movie will ever be best picture and it has nothing to do with quality. There was no excuse for beast not to be nominated other than politics. Just having the Netflix tag taints a movie in the academy's eyes

I can't remember but wasn't there also an issue with its availability? The academy has strict requirements about a movie's theatrical run and I definitely remember that the biggest theater chains boycotted the movie because of Netflix releasing it on their platform simultaneously.

Practically the same thing happened this year at Cannes where Okja was excluded from awards because the Netflix' simultaneous release schedule had theaters dropping the movie, and without a theatrical release you're not eligible.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Nah it's probably more to do with Ayer not being suited to direct something of this magnitude. His thing is gritty and grounded. Fantasy or superhero could be out of his lane. The normal grounded parts in SS were fine as soon as enchantress broke free the movie became an uneven mess. The last act where they fought her minions said it all

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
‘Bright’ Star Noomi Rapace Says David Ayer Has Created a ‘Complete New Universe’ That Feels Like ‘Training Day’

“You can really feel David’s [other films] ‘Harsh Times,’ ‘Training Day,’ and ‘End of Watch,’ that kind of rawness and real authentic feeling,” Rapace said. “It’s not magical kind of fantastic sci-fi. It’s very real, it just happens to be orcs and elves and creatures that are not from our world. I think it can be a complete new wave.”
Netflix spent 40+ of its 95 million on Will Smith, Max Landis, Ayer, etc

Thats why it has a kind of cheap looking quality. 2nd straight time Ayer's had a movie where it looks nowhere close to its budget.