Bright (Will Smith, dir. David Ayer) thread

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Daps
Will Smith gotta be the woat at picking movie roles

Same dude turned down The Matrix to shoot the Wild Wild West :mjlol:

Turned down Django because he said the Jamie Foxx role wasn’t big enough to shoot After Earth with his son :mjlol:

Turning down Django was the correct move.

Django was all about The German, Stephen and DiCaprio's character with Django taking a back seat to all three of them.

Will Smith taking a back seat to not one but three damn actors would have killed his brand.

Will goes from being the star to the fourth wheel.

After Earth was different, as him taking a backseat was only because his son was in the movie which gave it/him a pass.

Will passing on The Matrix didn't effect him or his brand. He's still a star almost 20 years later :yeshrug:

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Critics on some bullshyt again.

This was a solid entertaining film start to finish.

Ayer did his thing. Will and Edgerton had great chemistry. This was a straight normal Ayer corrupt cop style thriller but with a cool magic twist.

It wasn't amazing or anything but it will be a film i can throw in and enjoy in the future.I

Probably the best technical direction and action of Ayer career. He's really improving as a director in that regard.

I'll be watching the sequel day 1

7/10

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Turning down Django was the correct move.

Django was all about The German, Stephen and DiCaprio's character with Django taking a back seat to all three of them.

Will Smith taking a back seat to not one but three damn actors would have killed his brand.

Will goes from being the star to the fourth wheel.

After Earth was different, as him taking a backseat was only because his son was in the movie which gave it/him a pass.

Will passing on The Matrix didn't effect him or his brand. He's still a star almost 20 years later :yeshrug:

Counterpoint breh: wills brand has already been affected because we’re having this discussion right now. A discussion we wouldn’t have had. 10-15 years ago. Wills brand was tarnished the minute he made a big movie that didn’t do big will smith numbers. And that was after earth. The studio bet a lot on it as did he. Yeah he’s still a star but some luster has worn off. Will used to be guaranteeed box office gold. Now? Not so much

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Daps
Counterpoint breh: wills brand has already been affected because we’re having this discussion right now. A discussion we wouldn’t have had. 10-15 years ago. Wills brand was tarnished the minute he made a big movie that didn’t do big will smith numbers. And that was after earth. The studio bet a lot on it as did he. Yeah he’s still a star but some luster has worn off. Will used to be guaranteeed box office gold. Now? Not so much

Wild Wild West bombed, it didn't effect him. Ali flopped it didn't effect him After Earth flopped yet Hollywood still give him lead role after lead role.

His BO numbers declined because he stopped making Blockbusters and instead movies like Concussion, Seven Pounds, and that Christmas shyt last year.

After Earth was given to Will because of MIB3.

Edit: Him taking Django over After Earth turns him into a supporting actor :scust:

Will Smith as a supporting actor :picard:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Wild Wild West bombed, it didn't effect him. Ali flopped it didn't effect him After Earth flopped yet Hollywood still give him lead role after lead role.

His BO numbers declined because he stopped making Blockbusters and instead movies like Concussion, Seven Pounds, and that Christmas shyt last year.

After Earth was given to Will because of MIB3.

Here’s where I’ll disagree: a will smith movie is no longer an event. Even the amount of money men in black 3 made, according to the director, wasn’t enough to guarantee a sequel cause if it was it’d be in production as we speak.

Wills brand has suffered a bit. Anything will put his name on was a guaranteed hit. The Oscar movies you’re talking about can still be hits man. Just because you’re making a prestige movie doesn’t mean you want it to bomb nor does it mean it’s destined to bomb

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Daps
Here’s where I’ll disagree: a will smith movie is no longer an event. Even the amount of money men in black 3 made, according to the director, wasn’t enough to guarantee a sequel cause if it was it’d be in production as we speak.

Wills brand has suffered a bit. Anything will put his name on was a guaranteed hit. The Oscar movies you’re talking about can still be hits man. Just because you’re making a prestige movie doesn’t mean you want it to bomb nor does it mean it’s destined to bomb

People want to see Will in an action blockbuster or comedy not a damn drama b:yeshrug:

That's been obvious since Ali.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Watching it now and so far it doesn't look like the "Worst movie of 2017":stopitslime:
I just fast forwarded thru a review and it was pretty much all about Max Landis, who wrote this movie
I really think most are killing this movie because everyone hates Max Landis:scust:
The film honestly feels like it was written by ayer based on Landis concept.

Black Trash!

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
I applaud Will Smith for trying new things especially as a Black man with sci fi
But I wish he would go back to his roots

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
People want to see Will in an action blockbuster or comedy not a damn drama b:yeshrug:

That's been obvious since Ali.

Pursuit of happyness disagrees with that. When the movie is on point they come. When the movie is less than that, like seven pounds, the word of mouth travels and people stay away

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
I think ppl are just going along with the masses cuz the same shyt happened with man of steel. The action scenes were damn good, the humor wasn't forced and the characters looked real. How can some of you pan this but praise some of the shyttier hero flicks

Plus noomi was fukking crazy, that's my girl :whew:

I give it a 7 to 7.5/10