"BRICK CITY" THE OFFICIAL NEWARK DISCUSSION THREAD

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
got three condos in the bag already like 3yrs ago moving out from brooklyn...I wasnt afraid of my own people despite the bad rep newark it has as brick city...but I am not naive

the properties will go up but black folk will now have to deal with ny prices

Hmm. Interesting transition you've made. Why move to Newark of all places instead of say Philly with much more to do?

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
More murals throughout the city
img_8413.jpg

muralimage.jpg

PeaceMural2.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

shhh-kull & bones

Judah have I loved, Esau have I hated! -GAWD
Daps
Reppin
BK, USA
Hmm. Interesting transition you've made. Why move to Newark of all places instead of say Philly with much more to do?

:ohhh:well brooklyn is pretty much gentried out---the hangers on are there barely surviving plus I got tired of yuppies and weirdos--

moving to newark was an easy decision-I did try out Jersey City first but wasn't really feeling it and wasnt too impressed..then these condo deals opened up in newark...I mean nice ones too...condos that would go for millions in nyc...so I was like well since I survived brooklyn and had some bread stacked but was renting rooms with weirdos and nut jobs so I thought yeah why not....I could actually live in a nice pad with everything paid off and no rent to worry about(except taxes)---

Philly would have been to far off for someone like me just getting out of new york---I still wanted to be close to nyc if the move didn't work out--so I chose jersey city first and then newark ---well it turned out to be a great move--the area in newark is nice and I'am still around my people---the condo building I stay at has no cacs or flamboyant ny type weirdos for now...but I almost got robbed on Bergen but those were amateurs/kids and I was able to get away---brooklyn instincts you know---the area I am at is right by weequahic park and its quiet and calm most of the time---a body was found there over the summer but other than that its been cool--Its funny but I think that a gentrified newark might end benifiting me somewhat---my peoples may not be able stay here in 5-10 years tho---which sucks cause many held on but may not benefit if newark rebounds which she is poised to do in a few years--but you know I respect newark and the history---even with the bad rep you can still see the beauty and promise/potential of the place:mjgrin:

I like Ras the mayor although its probaly tough for him---I used to read his fathers poetry all the time---so I kinda feel somewhat connected---but you know its rough seeing what my people are going through---its on their faces and gestures even if they hide it---Its a numbing kinda feeling---I feel like a gentrifiyer sometimes---plus the violence(that guy Uggie was killed , I didnt know him but he seems to have meant a lot to the place--plus other killings of young folks left and ritgh) its rough---but I mainly stay and indoors and commute back and forth to nyc for work and nightlife...so I am still very optimistic about newark despite the negatives, I might as well be I guess---I see big things are on the way for newark aka the bricks---its just a matter of patience:manny:

long answer but that should pretty much cover it

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
:ohhh:well brooklyn is pretty much gentried out---the hangers on are there barely surviving plus I got tired of yuppies and weirdos--

moving to newark was an easy decision-I did try out Jersey City first but wasn't really feeling it and wasnt too impressed..then these condo deals opened up in newark...I mean nice ones too...condos that would go for millions in nyc...so I was like well since I survived brooklyn and had some bread stacked but was renting rooms with weirdos and nut jobs so I thought yeah why not....I could actually live in a nice pad with everything paid off and no rent to worry about(except taxes)---

Philly would have been to far off for someone like me just getting out of new york---I still wanted to be close to nyc if the move didn't work out--so I chose jersey city first and then newark ---well it turned out to be a great move--the area in newark is nice and I'am still around my people---the condo building I stay at has no cacs or flamboyant ny type weirdos for now...but I almost got robbed on Bergen but those were amateurs/kids and I was able to get away---brooklyn instincts you know---the area I am at is right by weequahic park and its quiet and calm most of the time---a body was found there over the summer but other than that its been cool--Its funny but I think that a gentrified newark might end benifiting me somewhat---my peoples may not be able stay here in 5-10 years tho---which sucks cause many held on but may not benefit if newark rebounds which she is poised to do in a few years--but you know I respect newark and the history---even with the bad rep you can still see the beauty and promise/potential of the place:mjgrin:

I like Ras the mayor although its probaly tough for him---I used to read his fathers poetry all the time---so I kinda feel somewhat connected---but you know its rough seeing what my people are going through---its on their faces and gestures even if they hide it---Its a numbing kinda feeling---I feel like a gentrifiyer sometimes---plus the violence(that guy Uggie was killed , I didnt know him but he seems to have meant a lot to the place--plus other killings of young folks left and ritgh) its rough---but I mainly stay and indoors and commute back and forth to nyc for work and nightlife...so I am still very optimistic about newark despite the negatives, I might as well be I guess---I see big things are on the way for newark aka the bricks---its just a matter of patience:manny:

long answer but that should pretty much cover it
You by Elizabeth ave? Or on the other side of the park on frelinghuysen? And yea, Uggie getting murdered was probably the lowest point in the city in recent years. Uggie was harmless. All he did was dance, have fun, and made people smile. I'm sure it was a lil nikka who did it.

Last edited:

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Prayers going up to the 16 year old kid who lost his life and the other kids that were wounded smh

Newark high school student gunned down in suspected family feud

NEWARK -- Grief counselors were on hand Thursday after a 16-year-old boy who attended East Side High School was killed and three other Newark school district students were wounded in a shooting at a public housing complex, officials said.

In a statement, Newark Public Schools officials said the district was "extremely saddened" by the deadly shooting, which occurred around 5 p.m. Wednesday at the Newark Housing Authority-run John Hyatt Court complex near Hawkins and Christie streets.

"In support of the affected school communities, grief counselors were on site this morning and will remain in place as long as necessary to help students and staff during this difficult time," school officials said in a statement Thursday. "The district will also work with school administrators to identify additional ways to support the victims' families and school communities in the coming days."

Herbert Waldron said his grandson, Kevin Barber, was killed in the attack.

Speaking at the crime scene Wednesday night, Waldron added he didn't know what happened and was told his grandson had been shot to death.

"I don't want no more violence. I don't want that," Waldron said. "I just want justice for my grandson."

Waldron added someone previously fired shots at his daughter's home, leading the family to move to Hyatt Court.

The three other shooting victims, identified as 15, 16 and 19 year old males from Newark, remained hospitalized, according to the Essex County Prosecutor's Office.

Katherine Carter, a prosecutor's office spokeswoman, said the 16-year-old boy who survived was being treated for life-threatening injuries. The other teens were expected to survive.

East Ward Councilman Augusto Amador told NJ Advance Media the fatal shooting apparently stemmed from a ongoing dispute between families.

"From what I understand there was a family feud that started when one of the families moved from the Terrell Homes into Hyatt Court. And that feud escalated once they moved," Amador said.

Officials have said they hope to eventually close the Millard E. Terrell Homes and the family moved out of safety concerns.

"One of the things we've done at Hyatt Court is to upgrade the conditions. We've built a football field, we built a new community room, we have invested quite a lot in Hyatt Court so it's frustrating to see and hear what we heard and saw yesterday," Amador said.

The 240-unit complex is managed by the autonomous Newark Housing Authority, which receives federal funding.

A motive for the attack was under investigation, the prosecutor's spokeswoman added.

The slaying was the first murder of the year in Newark, records show.

There were no arrests in the shooting. Newark police later on Wednesday recovered a vehicle suspected to have been used in the attack.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Triangle Park renamed Mulberry Commons

Triangle Park renamed Mulberry Commons

Today, Mayor Ras J. Baraka and representatives from Newark Community Economic Development Corporation, Newark Downtown District, Edison Properties, J&L Companies, Inc., and Prudential Center unveiled Mulberry Commons, the new name for the downtown Newark area currently referred to as Triangle Park. Mulberry Commons, which represents a more than $100-million financial investment, will be transformed into public, open space – Mulberry Commons Park – as well as retail establishments, restaurants, and commercial spaces, all while better connecting the Ironbound and downtown neighborhoods to Newark Penn Station. The award-winning architectural firm Sage & Coombe will lead the design efforts for six of the project’s 22 acres.

mulbcom-footprint.jpg

Decades in the making, this transformative project is expected to bring vast economic benefit to the entire City. The Mulberry Commons team and the City anticipate new jobs and commercial opportunity, a tax boost, secured commitments from developers for future Newark-based projects, a new hub of commerce through the adaptive reuse of a warehouse along McCarter Highway and more. The targeted completion date for the park is late summer 2018.

mulbcom-footprint2.jpg

"The development of Mulberry Commons and the Mulberry Commons Park will be a major asset for the City of Newark," said Mayor Ras J. Baraka. "This project represents another step towards showing the best of what our City has to offer. The 22-acre site will not only enhance our tax base and boost our economy, but it will also bring jobs, commerce, housing and green space for all Newarkers to enjoy. The collaboration between the multiple stakeholders that have come together for this endeavor symbolizes a new era for Newark. Mulberry Commons will allow us to put financial power behind our commitment to Newark's neighborhoods and communities, and will inspire and empower Newarkers for decades to come."

mulbcomm-layout.jpg

The City of Newark will benefit from an anticipated economic impact in excess of $500 million, generated from Mulberry Commons’ planned commercial, retail and open, public spaces. In addition to the current $100 million+ in private investment, the initiative will also receive $10 million in public funding.

“The Mulberry Commons project is the culmination of a planning process that began in 2005. Under Mayor Baraka’s leadership, the City, the Newark Community EDC and private developers are executing the vision for the park, a pedestrian bridge linking the Ironbound and downtown, as well as the redevelopment of the parcels adjacent to the Prudential Center,” said Jerry Gottesman, chairman of Edison Properties, which currently owns a majority of the redevelopment sites within Mulberry Commons. “At Edison Properties, we’re excited to continue working with the Mayor’s office and the City to move our new ‘Ironside Newark’ office and retail project forward to further the successful transformation of downtown Newark.”

mulbcom-highline.jpg

"Mulberry Commons Park will be a highly programmed and impeccably maintained open space, providing a sense of comfort and security in the heart of the downtown," explained Anthony McMillan, CEO of the Newark Downtown District, which will provide programming and maintenance of the park. “We look forward to giving residents, visitors, and commuters a clean, green, social environment that will essentially function as a both a shared backyard and a destination – a place to meet with friends, relax, and enjoy great events."

mulbcom-green.jpg

“The Mayor, his team and the City Council should be commended for their efforts in getting this project off the ground,” said Jose Lopez, principal of J&L Companies, Inc. “The creation of the park, bridge connection, and the developments that will follow will usher in a new era of growth and revitalization for the area. With close to 50 years in the City of Newark, J&L views itself as a part of the community and is proud to have worked alongside the other stakeholders to make this project a reality.”

shhh-kull & bones

Judah have I loved, Esau have I hated! -GAWD
Daps
Reppin
BK, USA
You by Elizabeth ave? Or on the other side of the park on frelinghuysen? And yea, Uggie getting murdered was probably the lowest point in the city in recent years. Uggie was harmless. All he did was dance, have fun, and made people smile. I'm sure it was a lil nikka who did it.

Elizabeth side....and yeah I read about Uggies' passing on RLS media( thats what I use to get local news not covered on mainstream media about newark).... So was Uggie a legend of newark? I've only been around 3-4 years here and still learning.....any reason he would have been targeted?

Azul

Sunkissed.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Comfort Zone
Newark is a wrap

It is true that anyplace within a half hour of NYC is gonna be done. Especially the areas surrounding the train.

Last edited:

Self_Born7

SUN OF MAN
Daps
Reppin
all 23 million miles of useful land
born at Beth Israel
grew up and raised in hillside
moved on my own to 801 elizabeth ave

The Eleganza or the EL and blackbox used to be jumpin, club 88 before they closed was kind of live... Dr J's or Universal for kicks... white castles was live on thursday night after skate 22, cop the fat club, clue and doowop tapes downtown.

me and my boy almost died after almost being hit head on by auto task force on johnson ave by shabazz high..

the thanksgiving football games at weequahic high

chancellor ave liquiors for the private stock and crazy horse for the low low.

the 2 for 5 spots on Aldine St.

Last edited:

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
Yo I remember I went to visit my cousin who lived in Newark

Dude was a camera man for a major network in NYC
But extremely cheap

He rented out the top part of a split level house
Like it was a small ass house and his portion was one big ass room with a separate bathroom

I was :dead:
One lil strip in Newark was packed as fukk everyday like it was a movie

I remember he took me to some strip club and the hoes didn't even get naked
And just danced on top the bar counter :dead:

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Elizabeth side....and yeah I read about Uggies' passing on RLS media( thats what I use to get local news not covered on mainstream media about newark).... So was Uggie a legend of newark? I've only been around 3-4 years here and still learning.....any reason he would have been targeted?
Uggie was a staple in Newark. Mostly known for dancing and his rivalry with D Dog (on some dance battle sh**) There's really no good reason why he got popped. More then likely some dirty lil n*gga high off pills and sticks who did it.