Bret Hart shytting on modern wrestling once again: says if you gotta do 1000 chops in a match, you're a trash wrestler.

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC

Since they cut if off in the tweet, here's the rest of what he said.
“And when these guys dive over the top rope onto the 20 wrestlers on the floor - they’ve gotta stop doing that. It’s just not real...and with the chops, and everybody chopping themselves. What a bunch of baloney. Nobody ever won a match with a chop. All the wooing. It’s really taking away from the beauty and the art of great wrestling.”

“There’s a lot of great wrestlers out there that can deliver great matches. But there’s so many wrestlers out there that are subpar in my opinion, that don’t know what they’re doing out there. And they allow themselves to rely on things like chops, which I think is sort of like cheap heat - you get a reaction, but what’s your reaction? You’re whipping a guy across the chest with your hand? Okay, so you’re hurting some guy for real, for some stupid reason. And the crowd sort of reacts to it.”

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps

Youknow GIF - Youknow You GIFs

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
Bret has good points but Gunther has won a match with a chop. :ufdup:

Granted he beat the hell out of Ciampa before, like any match but it still ended the contest.

Bret really taking his hate for taking chops personal. :lolbron:

Yeah, I hate to say it, but Bret mighta missed on this one. :hubie:

But then again, he and Gunther actually got previous beef IIRC

CBoz

We Are NXT!
Daps
Reppin
The NXT Universe
Yeah, I hate to say it, but Bret mighta missed on this one. :hubie:

But then again, he and Gunther actually got previous beef iiim.
He just hated taking chops so he has a bias against them and I can't blame him on some aspects of some guys over doing it and the fans making it some crowd interaction thing. We all know who the egregious offenders are.

CBoz

We Are NXT!
Daps
Reppin
The NXT Universe
Nah. One guy winning one match with a chop out of the millions of guys who didn't is too small of a sample size. That doesn't change what Bret said.
Where did I say he was wrong? I agree with everything he says. What's wrong in proving it happened? Hell I'm sure some indy show somewhere in time it also happened but this is the only mainstream account that I know of and it's another feather in the mystique of Gunther in my opinion.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
He just hated taking chops so he has a bias against them and I can't blame him on some aspects of some guys over doing it and the fans making it some crowd interaction thing. We all know who the egregious offenders are.
It wasn't just chops. Bret (and Benoit, Dynamite Kid, Jim Cornette, Stan Hanson, and several other old-school guys) hated anything that didn't look realistic.
They'd probably kick their opponent's ass for real if he attempted a Spanish Fly, or no-sold a Canadian Destroyer on the floor.

Last edited:

CBoz

We Are NXT!
Daps
Reppin
The NXT Universe
It wasn't just chops. Bret (and Benoit, Dynamite Kid, Stan Hanson, and several other old-school guys) hated anything that didn't look realistic.
They'd probably kick their opponent's ass for real if he attempted a Spanish Fly, or no-sold a Canadian Destroyer on the floor.
I just remember that story he told about telling Ric Flair to not chop him and how he wouldn't have another match with him if he did or something. 😄

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Where did I say he was wrong? I agree with everything he says. What's wrong in proving it happened? Hell I'm sure some indy show somewhere in time it also happened but this is the only mainstream account that I know of and it's another feather in the mystique of Gunther in my opinion.
I didn't say that you were wrong, either. My point was that Bret's statement was 99.99% accurate, and throwing out the .01% inaccuracy could've been saved for another time. That's all.

JasoRockStar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Charleston, SC
It wasn't just chops. Bret (and Benoit, Dynamite Kid, Stan Hanson, and several other old-school guys) hated anything that didn't look realistic.
Bret's stance has always been make it LOOK real. If it actually IS real, you aren't doing your job.