Bret Hart shyts on modern wrestling

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Overall the in-ring can be hard to watch when you can tell when they are calling spots. They don't know how to build suspense without kicking out of finishers so you always know they kick out after the first finisher in a big match.
Some wrestlers don't know how to sell damage throughout the match.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Overall the in-ring can be hard to watch when you can tell when they are calling spots. They don't know how to build suspense without kicking out of finishers so you always know they kick out after the first finisher in a big match.
:wow:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
So how about those OG’s show up and teach them how it’s done?

It’s easier to get your point across in person than it is in interviews.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps

Jim Ross, Arn Anderson, Booker T, Konnan, CM Punk and plenty of other legends have all said that the modern wrestlers rejected their advice.
Hangman Adam Page went on record as saying that he doesn't listen to veteran advice, and Brandon Cutler blasted Jim Ross for trying to offer some insight to the young guys when JR joined AEW.

TL:DR

The OGs have offered advice, but the young guys already know everything about pro wrestling & would just rather call them miserable old men.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Jim Ross, Arn Anderson, Booker T, Konnan, CM Punk and plenty of other legends have all said that the modern wrestlers rejected their advice.
Hangman Adam Page went on record as saying that he doesn't listen to veteran advice, and Brandon Cutler blasted Jim Ross for trying to offer some insight to the young guys when JR joined AEW.

The OGs have offered advice, but the young guys already know everything about pro wrestling & would just rather call them miserable old men.
That doesn't speak for all wrestlers out here though as I'm sure that there's a lot of them even people that inspire to be wrestlers that would love to get advice from those guys. Even then, some of those OG's tones and interviews come off as berating and shytting on the talent rather than actually offering constructive criticism.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
That doesn't speak for all wrestlers out here though as I'm sure that there's a lot of them even people that inspire to be wrestlers that would love to get advice from those guys. Even then, some of those OG's tones and interviews come off as berating and shytting on the talent rather than actually offering constructive criticism.
I'm not sure what you were trying to say with the first sentence, but your last sentence is probably another reason for the legends' frustration. A quick personal story: I've played sports all of my life, and I have never had a coach who wasn't gruff, abrasive, and somewhat bullish. The legends know what works, they know what doesn't, and they are probably very direct with their instructions. They are also just as direct when calling out the wrestlers for doing something wrong.
If modern wrestlers can't handle getting their feelings hurt a little bit, then maybe they should get out of athletics & start doing admin work.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

And it's clear as day when you watch modern wrestling. It looks like they just watched the highlights of classic matches and plan out their own matches in WWE 2K

The 90s still have the best classic matches from Japan and the US

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nothing stays the same. Blame the hardyz boyz/HH/dudley hardcore era :manny:. Me personally I find the wrestling today more entertaining even jobber matches I can watch without getting bored out of my mind.
I think the difference is that wrestlers were still traditionally trained and just fell into the hardcore scene. They still knew ring psychology and how to make it look brutal without damn near killing themselves.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I'm not sure what you were trying to say with the first sentence, but your last sentence is probably another reason for the legends' frustration. A quick personal story: I've played sports all of my life, and I have never had a coach who wasn't gruff, abrasive, and somewhat bullish. The legends know what works, they know what doesn't, and they are probably very direct with their instructions. They are also just as direct when calling out the wrestlers for doing something wrong.
If modern wrestlers can't handle getting their feelings hurt a little bit, then maybe they should get out of athletics & start doing admin work.
Just because some wrestlers would reject the OG’s advice doesn’t mean that all of them would do the same as well. Some wrestlers would love to get the advice from OG wrestlers as everyone isn’t going to take to what you have to say. I think people overlook that when it comes to giving advice but instead lumping everyone together.

It’s also disingenuous to say that about modern wrestlers, when the OGs are/were just as sensitive and benefitted from not having social media during their era.

Last edited:

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Why wouldn’t they listen to him as they listen to other OG’s who work behind the scenes? Granted they aren’t openly shytting on talent in the way that Brett does, so I wouldn’t necessarily blame them if they didn’t.
They aint listen to Steven Regal, which is one of the reasons he left.

They've openly attacked Jim Ross for being critical

Again, they try.

Unfortunately, unless you have an out and out tyrant like Vince scaring the shyt out of them constantly forcing them to listen, they're not going to do it.

Especially, not in a company like AEW where Tony Khan basically lets everybody do whatever the fukk they want.
It’s also disingenuous to say that about modern wrestlers, when the OGs are/were just as sensitive and benefitted from not having social media during their era.
That's completely false.

You think "sensitive" dudes could've worked for Cowboy Bill Watts? Jim Herd? Fritz Von Erich? Jerry Jarrett?:heh:

Hell no, back then you shut the fukk up and listened or there were consequences in most cases.

Hell, Hulk Hogan had his leg broken ON PURPOSE by an O.G. his first day as a wrestler & he didn't file a lawsuit or bytch & complain, he just healed up and came back.

Guys like Stu Hart were literally torturing people in a dungeon :russ:

Millennials & zoomers are wayyyyyy too sensitive & entitled for that shyt to go down today, G:mjlol:

The change started when Vince broke kayfabe permanently and started attracting "entertainers" instead of athletes who were used to having football coaches & basketball coaches yelling at them and constantly yelling at them.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps

I knew there was a reason I didn’t like hangman, he tries to come off as a likable guy but this goes to show that he thinks he is better than what he is.

These new guys base their matches on crowd reactions and not storytelling. It’s like a big budget action movie with them. People pop for explosions like people pop for suicide dives. Guys like hangman feel as if he can get the crowd to cheer then he has this shyt all figured out. And once you think you know everything you stop getting better.

The more I learn about the AEW locker room the less I like them. They are too proud of themselves for being in a distance second place

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps

Again, they try.

Unfortunately, unless you have an out and out tyrant like Vince scaring the shyt out of them constantly forcing them to listen, they're not going to do it.

Especially, not in a company like AEW where Tony Khan basically lets everybody do whatever the fukk they want.

That's completely false.

You think "sensitive" dudes could've worked for Cowboy Bill Watts? Jim Herd? Fritz Von Erich? Jerry Jarrett?:heh:

Hell no, back then you shut the fukk up and listened or there were consequences in most cases.

Hell, Hulk Hogan had his leg broken ON PURPOSE by an O.G. his first day as a wrestler & he didn't file a lawsuit or bytch & complain, he just healed up and came back.

Millennials & zoomers are wayyyyyy too sensitive & entitled for that shyt to go down today, G:mjlol:

The change started when Vince broke kayfabe permanently and started attracting "entertainers" instead of athletes who were used to having football coaches & basketball coaches yelling at them and constantly yelling at them.
Yea these new nikkas are spoiled, entitled and soft. And TK is not the leader they need

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm

Again, they try.

That's completely false.

Nor should they as that shyt wouldn't socially acceptable now and it shouldn't have been back then :gucci:

If that type of shyt happened to today those dudes would be out of the paint and rightfully so

People also keep bringing up AEW while overlooking the important point that it's a lot of wrestlers out here not in the mainstream companies that would love to take the advice from those OG's, but don't have the bread to hire for their input and services.