Brehs, Why Was The 80's So Fuking Weird?

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
80s was when dysfunction became the norm. Reagan is the devil for letting crack fukk up black folks like that. On top of "greed is good" that made America into a Banana republic.

observe

Banned
Daps
Reppin
The Forest Where Hope Died
Everyone was coked out and smoked out. Adults in the 80s were the children of the hippies. They gave zero phucks. Combine that with the "war on drugs" and Regan simultaneously pushing it in the inner cities to get those prison numbers up.

Naw..adults of the 80s were the hippies..trust me..my family were hippies and they were in their 30s in the 80s..

I loved the 80s..lots of good music (pop, rap) house parties (now i finally figured out why the adults would always go into a room during a party..to do coke..lol) cheesy teen and ninja movies, ..

Kitsune

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The adults of the 80's were driving force of the counter culture movement which began 60s; the time period which was characterized for its rebellion against societal norms
I believe this is when drugs became mainstream and the glorification of sex/promiscuity arose in society which you can see is still expanding today.
So the 70s-80s and onward would be the time period were the general public would enjoy this newly found form of social liberation

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
As others have said a lot of the style from the 80's is being emulated now specifically the clothing when you look at the hipsters now and what the average person wore back then.

Berniewood Hogan

IT'S BERNIE SANDERS WITH A STEEL CHAIR!
Daps
Reppin
nWg
WE HAD THE COCAINE, BROTHER! IT CLEANED OUT THE SINUSES, DUDE!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
yet, these young niccas want to emulate the 80s so badly. Biting the 80s style in a bad way, and the 80s already had a bad style. At least the 80s were unique and experimental.

Exactly, I'm seeing nikkaz with gumby fades and shyt and I'm like :rudy:

The 2000s so far have just been so nondescript that it's just kind of a continuation of the '90s and people looking back at the '80s and '70s for ideas.

The adults of the 80's were driving force of the counter culture movement which began 60s; the time period which was characterized for its rebellion against societal norms
I believe this is when drugs became mainstream and the glorification of sex/promiscuity arose in society which you can see is still expanding today.
So the 70s-80s and onward would be the time period were the general public would enjoy this newly found form of social liberation

Exactly and imagine how much crazier shyt would be if AIDS had not put the fear in the hearts of everybody?

I mean, we might be seeing orgies on network TV by now.

AIDS really put the breaks on all the sexual experimentation and promiscuity for a while.

Hell, The Village People were HUGE in the '70s and they were the gayest dudes on the planet.

Pop culture was even gayer then, than it is now.

We'd probably have had gay marriage about 20 years ago, if not for AIDS and the Reagan Revolution.

:ohhh:

I just thought of some shyt.

Reagan gets in office in January of '81, right and the first AIDS cases come about in like June of '81.

Coincidence?

:ld:

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
on a side note: the begining of the 2000's had you thinking the rest of the decade was about to be straight piff. on some :mindblown: shyt.

Then around 05/06 shyt starting sucking, had you like :smh: :wtf:

-DMP-

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
As an 80's baby i can't say this time period is too much better. You got nikkas walking around gay and flaunting it now. You got young cats who think they being original but really are just going back in time with the weird haircuts and the tight jeans. Ion no wat it is about that time but like the saying goes the 90's was the finest.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
watching old 80's movies..shyt seemed like an alternate dimension. reagan's vision of 80's america was bugged the fukk out. was everyone on drugs? is this the time period western society became so decadent that it lost its shyt? everyone's riding so high on optimism, its strange, like total escapist fantasy. I guess thats why the early 90's were so cynical; the bubble finally popped by then

Teen Witch - Top That - YouTube

on a side note, the chick at 1:07 could spit :leon:

Breh you need to understand, in hindsight shyt seems bugged out like one big ass party but back then people were looking for anything to take their mind off reality.

You had AIDS, crack and gangs starting to explode across America. Unemployment was up. When you watch old 80s movies about "the future" (meaning the late 80s, early 90s) the shyt is always a post-apocalyptic waste land because that's what people expected the future to be. "Escape From NY" came out in '81, but it was set in '88....during that time NY was averaging 2000+ murders a year. So was Cali. Crime was up every where, across the board.

On top of all that, you had the Cold War. Google that shyt. U.S. and the Soviet Union had beef. I mean serious beef, not this bullshyt like with North Korea. The world literally almost ended a few times in the 80s.

So if you look at the 90s, or 2000s, then compare it to let's say 1983, it seems :wtf: that people acted so weird and disconnected with reality. That's because we have the hindsight to know things turned out ok. Things did not seem like they would turn out ok in the 80s.

Fred.

Malik

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV | Philly
The adults in the 80s were college & high school kids in the 70s that gave up that hippie bullshyt, became republicans and decided to get rich :mjpls:

jmspro

Banned
Daps
watching old 80's movies..shyt seemed like an alternate dimension. reagan's vision of 80's america was bugged the fukk out. was everyone on drugs? is this the time period western society became so decadent that it lost its shyt? everyone's riding so high on optimism, its strange, like total escapist fantasy. I guess thats why the early 90's were so cynical; the bubble finally popped by then

Teen Witch - Top That - YouTube

on a side note, the chick at 1:07 could spit :leon:

I believe that was Roxanne Shante's voice that was spittin.