Brehs school me on Mad Men

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
I swear to god I love this show but for the life of me I cant tell you what its about. That season he got remarried i swear to god nothing happened :laff:

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Honestly, it's an amazing show. I think this sums up it up pretty well:

Mad Men is one of those rare shows you just don't want to end. Thankfully its pace is so languid, it almost doesn't start, let alone finish. 85% of each episode consists of Don Draper staring into the middle distance through a veil of cigarette smoke. Sometimes so little appears to be happening, you have to fight the urge to get up and slap your TV to make the characters start moving again. Hypnotic visuals, lingering pace: Mad Men is television's very own lava lamp. I'm exaggerating, of course, as anyone who's been absorbing the show on a season-by-season basis will attest. And I use the word "absorb" deliberately: you don't really "watch" Mad Men: you lie back and let it seep into you. It works by osmosis.

David Simon once explained The Wire's deliberate refusal to decode cop jargon and street lingo was a conscious ploy to force the viewer to "lean in"; to make an effort, to engage, to pay close attention to the dialogue. Mad Men plays things differently. It makes the viewer lean back. The programme's glacial tempo is startlingly alien to the average modern viewer, accustomed to meaningless televisual lightshows such as CSI Miami – all winking lights and trick shots and musical montages telling you what to think with such detached efficiency they might as well issue a bullet-pointed list of plot points and moods and have done with it. Shows in which the story is secondary to the edit, edit, edit: where any sense of meaning or even authentic emotion is doomed to death by a million tiny cuts. Mad Men's tranquility and poise makes it resemble a still photograph by comparison. The viewer has to calm the fukk down to even start appreciating it.

I just chill and soak it all in whereas I'm amped up for a Breaking Bad episode.

The problem with posting any scene from Mad Men is that you'd probably need to watch the entire episode, or in some cases, the entire show to that point. Someone could post a video of the "That's what the money is for!" scene, but without knowing the relationship between Peggy and Don beforehand, it's impossible to catch why that scene is so powerful.

The best I can do is post a scene from the first episode, and that's the Lucky Strike pitch. It wouldn't even be in my top 10 Mad Men scenes, but like the Snotboogie scene from the Wire, it's the scene that pulled me in.

Mad Men - Stroke of genius.avi - YouTube

:wow:

Last edited by a moderator:

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not a bad show at all, but as you watch other deeper programs you can't help but think the show is superficial as shyt.

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
Just watched the last 2 episodes of season 3 and :wow:

That scene when Betty confronts Don about his past and shows him the evidence, Jon Hamm's acting during that scene was :wow:

And the season finale had me on the edge of my seat like :popcorn:

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
there is a bytch on there with some ginormous knockers.
she will keep u watching way after u lose interest. like a whole season :dead:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
5 pages and no mention of the lawnmover?? Come on, guys!
Scene was priceless.
full

Amazing show and I definitely need to rewatch this sometime soon, the shyt was just nostalgic and very well written too. One of those shows that makes you want to erase your memory and just relive it all. From the acting to the glamor of the setting it took place in, it truly was a joy.

Last edited: