brehs lets talk cologne game

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
WBeen meaning to step in this thread. Are there consensus picks? A guide, anything to steer a brother in the right direction.

174 pages is a lot (50 post per page) is a lot to wade through.

If you just want one cologne, buy the best selling one in the country

Dior Sauvage EDT

If you want a cheaper version, Versace - Dylan Blue

Both smell like really good shampoo gel. Both have been best sellers since at least the 2010s.
I like them, but I actually don't wear these anymore, unless I know I'm gonna hit the spot. These days I be at the Farmer's Market more than the Club.

Both are known lady killers. Folks spend a lot of money trying to do something different, only for some broad to turn her head cause somebody ELSE is wearing Sauvage.

Get 2-5 ml sample from www.decantx.com. And wear it for a few days.

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
If you just want one cologne, buy the best selling one in the country

Dior Sauvage EDT

If you want a cheaper version, Versace - Dylan Blue

Both smell like really good shampoo gel. Both have been best sellers since at least the 2010s.
I like them, but I actually don't wear these anymore, unless I know I'm gonna hit the spot. These days I be at the Farmer's Market more than the Club.

Both are known lady killers. Folks spend a lot of money trying to do something different, only for some broad to turn her head cause somebody ELSE is wearing Sauvage.

Get 2-5 ml sample from www.decantx.com. And wear it for a few days.
Rep

-DMP-

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When the cologne bug bites you, come back through and we'll have more recommendations. Lots of recommendations. Too many really, lol
Lol nah I definitely wanna step my game up but I read a couple pages in this thread and saw all types of suggestions and ppl wearing different smells for different seasons. Knew I needed a good baseline to start from.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps

Yeah, I might reviewed it above.

PXL-20240504-212708084-MP.jpg

Y'all know I love Tobacco Vanille and Tobacco Oud.
So I had high hopes for this, but it first came out in 2017 and got discontinued. So the decant price was like "yooo".

With the re-release the decant price was more reasonable.
Look for that discount code. I'm not gonna miss 40 bucks, but I think's too much for even that price.

The verdict?

It in no way competes with Tobacco Vanille.

It smells nice. It smells like a nicer designer.

The Scent

Just off the spritz - It's very "vanillic" with a touch of florals, maybe some spice on the dry down. The florals actually come out more the longer you wear it. It's perfectly unisex in that regard.

When I read the notes, I notice the
  • Rum
  • Myrrh
  • Patchouli
It's in the wheel house of a lot of sweet, vanillic, boozy, low key, fall/winter type fragrances.

Value for Money?
  • I wouldn't buy 50mls at a discount.
  • I sure as hell would not buy this full retail. (400)
    • (I bought Tobacco Vanille Full Retail, and Tobacco Oud from Harrod's online)
  • I caught a 20% off @ Scent Split, so it wasn't as bad as I've seen (Absolu Aventus is still like 60 bucks for 5mls), but equivalent to some Uber Eats...(which is also not that justifiable either...)
Performance
  • I'm going to assume that it's the same, or a slightly weaker form than the OG. It's fine.
    • If this was stronger, it wouldn't really raise the value imo.
  • General Power - a bit more oomph than D&G The One EDP - so it should last a nice evening.
  • Longevity - decent.
  • Projection - Not enough data
Rating

So it's a nice to have, but not a "Damn son, you need to drop everything and kick old people in the face to get your nose on this"

For me 5mls is enough. I'll put it back into the cool/cold weather rotation in the Fall.

So on a rating of
"I wouldn't give this to my worst enemy" to "Sacrifice your only child for a whiff:

I'd say this is a good 5mls. It's not particularly unique. It's just a well done nice sweet fragrance that really doesn't justify the price. (which even though cologne is a luxury good, A lot of Tom Ford doesn't justify the price)

If this was as cheap as Mercedes Benz - Club Black - It'd be no a brainer if you don't have some vanilla in your arsenal.
If this had a different name on it, Coach or Ralph Lauren, it'd be good, but you wouldn't really think about it.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Lol nah I definitely wanna step my game up but I read a couple pages in this thread and saw all types of suggestions and ppl wearing different smells for different seasons. Knew I needed a good baseline to start from.

That's where it starts.

I recommended (Dylan Blue/Sauvage) because those are good everyday/all year/every season/every occasion scents. (I personally would go a bit lighter than those, but that's my personal style)

Club - 4-6 sprays
Date/work - 2 sprays
Interview - spray in the air and then walk through that mug, lol.

Right now Spring/Summer joints are popping. You'll be good with either of those.

But a typical summer/spring cologne
  • Smells like Water
  • Smells like seawater (a bit of salt, a bit of seaweed)
  • Smells like the beach (sand, seawater, Coconut)
  • Smells like fresh citrus (mandarin, grapefruit)
  • Smells like Coconut (suntan lotion, pina coladas)
And then when it gets cold
  • Woodsy Scents
  • Sweet scents/Sweet foods
  • Spicy Scents
  • Barbershop scents
  • Incense/Smoke scents
Guidelines
  • You can wear spring/summer scents all year round.
  • Cold Weather scents smell REALLY STRONG during warm days. And they can really reek when it mixes with your sweat and your funk.
But start with the basics.

If those don't do it for you, we can recommend some other good starters. For the most part, anything in the best seller's list is totally fine when you start out.

Your tastes will develop the more you get into it.

-DMP-

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
That's where it starts.

I recommended (Dylan Blue/Sauvage) because those are good everyday/all year/every season/every occasion scents. (I personally would go a bit lighter than those, but that's my personal style)

Club - 4-6 sprays
Date/work - 2 sprays
Interview - spray in the air and then walk through that mug, lol.

Right now Spring/Summer joints are popping. You'll be good with either of those.

But a typical summer/spring cologne
  • Smells like Water
  • Smells like seawater (a bit of salt, a bit of seaweed)
  • Smells like the beach (sand, seawater, Coconut)
  • Smells like fresh citrus (mandarin, grapefruit)
  • Smells like Coconut (suntan lotion, pina coladas)
And then when it gets cold
  • Woodsy Scents
  • Sweet scents/Sweet foods
  • Spicy Scents
  • Barbershop scents
  • Incense/Smoke scents
Guidelines
  • You can wear spring/summer scents all year round.
  • Cold Weather scents smell REALLY STRONG during warm days. And they can really reek when it mixes with your sweat and your funk.
But start with the basics.

If those don't do it for you, we can recommend some other good starters. For the most part, anything in the best seller's list is totally fine when you start out.

Your tastes will develop the more you get into it.
Damn bruh you like the cologne guru I see lol. Props

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
Got Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense from my Fragencenet subscription.

:unimpressed:

Highly disappointed!

I don't even see how this is a flanker.

There is nothing soapy or powdery about this.

This is mostly amber and not even a good enough amber that I would purchase it as an amber.

Mafukkas gush over this in reviews.

Fragrance subjective as fukk so I never take a mafukka opinion serious. I just listen to what notes someone gets from a scent.

I just hate that this is a flanker of the most soapy/powdery scent ever and this is neither.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
SWY Absolutely today.
Very light. Only 2.5 sprays.
It's like 45-50 degrees.

I've been rotating between Nishane B-612 and Papilefiko a lot lately.

Frapin - L'Humaniste yesterday

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I haven't been wearing YSL Y except to the gym. Even though it makes me feel like I'm too old for it.

Sometimes I will wear Prada L'Homme which is more my flow.

SupaVillain

Keep your glory, gold and glitter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
what summer scents y'all rock with? I got bleu de chanel, tom ford neroli, lv pacific chill