brehs lets talk cologne game

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think you're asking the least bottles question.

There are a lot of ways to think about it.

1) 1 bottle default - aka the signature fragrance - This is most guys default, because they are not really into cologne. Most guys sig frag was Acqua di Gio, and is currently Dior Sauvage. Before it was Drakkar Noir. It might have been Old Spice or Brut.

2) 1 bottle from a collector's pov - this is a nightmare, because you have to try a lot of things before you decide on one. People that have this, usually bought a lot and then downsized, but have backup bottles of their sig frag.

3) Fragrance for every season - Warm Weather scents that make you feel clean and smell clean. Cool Weather Scents that smell "cozy". Nautica Voyage, to me, smells better in the warm weather than the cold weather. Spicebomb Extreme is the opposite.

4) Fragrance for every typical occasion
  • Everyday for school/work - so clean, a bit of scent trail and projection, but not too much, lasts 8 hours
  • Date Night - sweet/interesting, a bit more of a scent trail, a bit of projection, lasts long enough
  • Clubbing - sweet/loud/interesting, a long scent trail, a lot of projection, lasts long and lasts even though you're sweating.
  • Special Occasion - think your wedding, weddings, Operas, Plays, graduations... - loud/interesting, long scent trail, projection, "fill up a room", lasts long
5) Sweet 16 - From what I can tell, most people combine categories 3 and 4 - What you wear clubbing in the summer is different than the winter. So that'd be 4x4 = 16 fragrances.

That said, by the time most dudes get past 4 bottles, and they realize what is out there, and that they don't want to smell like anyone else - they can't stop at 16 bottles.

6) Personal Enjoyment - eff everyone else

To me, these folks are dudes that douse themselves in whatever, or females that wear heavy patchouli.

In the cologne community, it's guys that are into Toskovat and other obscure indie perfumers. I guess the snobs are niche only.

This is where I currently am.

Analyzing your collection

• Signature Fragrance - You could easily just stay with Legend and sell the rest.
  • Collector Sig Frag - Naw, if you get bitten by the bug, you won't be happy with what you have.
  • 4 Seasons - Legend is good for Spring. I'd say BDC for the summer. Ombre for the Winter, and Y for the Fall. Ombre might only be for the Winter, under this mentality, but I wore Ombre last week. Just don't spray heavy. Legend/Y/BDC are good year round though
  • Occasions - I sorta think you're missing a date night and club night fragrance, but the Legend and Y could also stand in. None for a special occasion imo, but that's the fuzziest category to me.
  • Sweet 16 - You don't have 16 scents, so ....
I'm not suggesting that you go out and buy anything, especially not a full bottle.

But if you want to add something to your current collection, I'd start looking at a 1) chill date night fragrance and 2) a club fragrance.

If you don't club, I'd still get like 5mls of something more potent than what you've got.
1. Drakkar? Seriously? I haven’t even seen that bottle since like 1997. :russ: You might as well have mentioned Nautica Sport or Curve. I’m just joking around.

2. Clubbing? Bruh I’m not telling you my age but I’ve got gray hairs. :beli::flabbynsick: Only club you might catch me at is the gym.

I’m not ever gonna have 16 colognes.
But I could see myself having like 6-8. Or basically 2 per season. Just for variety sake.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
what are some good colognes for the summer that have a nice citrus scent and that last long ?

I'm new to the cologne game, so any other scents y'all can recommend for the summer will be greatly appreciated too, I couldn't go thru the whole thread

Summer/Citrus that I have and like
Armani - Acqua Di Gio (more aquatic), Acqua di Gio Profondo, Acqua Di Gio Profondo Lights - $$$
Chanel - Bleu De Chanel (EDT or EDP concentration) - $$$
Issey Miyake - L'eau de Issey - $$
Hermes - Terre d'Hermes (they make a bunch of citrus joints, but this is the one I have) - $$
Versace - Pour Homme, Eau Fraiche - $$

Summer Citrus that are popular
Dolce and Gabanna - Light Blue Eau Intense, Light Blue Forever, Light Blue Italian Love, Light Blue Summer Vibes* (current 2023 hypebeast) - $$$
Mission - Wave - $(current cheapie hypebeast)

In terms of lasting long/all day - if you work in an office, sure. If you're mowing lawns, prolly not.

Try before you buy - get the 2-5 ml decant before you spend good money!

www.decantx.com, www.scentsplit.com, etc.

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
Summer/Citrus that I have and like
Armani - Acqua Di Gio (more aquatic), Acqua di Gio Profondo, Acqua Di Gio Profondo Lights - $$$
Chanel - Bleu De Chanel (EDT or EDP concentration) - $$$
Issey Miyake - L'eau de Issey - $$
Hermes - Terre d'Hermes (they make a bunch of citrus joints, but this is the one I have) - $$
Versace - Pour Homme, Eau Fraiche - $$

Summer Citrus that are popular
Dolce and Gabanna - Light Blue Eau Intense, Light Blue Forever, Light Blue Italian Love, Light Blue Summer Vibes* (current 2023 hypebeast) - $$$
Mission - Wave - $(current cheapie hypebeast)

In terms of lasting long/all day - if you work in an office, sure. If you're mowing lawns, prolly not.

Try before you buy - get the 2-5 ml decant before you spend good money!

www.decantx.com, www.scentsplit.com, etc.

thanks breh, when I go to Macy's this wknd or next wknd I'm pulling this post up 👍

I used to have Ralph Lauren Romance cologne years back but I never looked at my colognes as far as seasons go, so this is interesting to me

between this thread and the timepiece thread about watches I'm basically getting my grown man on and gradually moving away from stuff that's for very young people

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
1. Drakkar? Seriously? I haven’t even seen that bottle since like 1997. :russ: You might as well have mentioned Nautica Sport or Curve. I’m just joking around.

2. Clubbing? Bruh I’m not telling you my age but I’ve got gray hairs. :beli::flabbynsick: Only club you might catch me at is the gym.

I’m not ever gonna have 16 colognes.
But I could see myself having like 6-8. Or basically 2 per season. Just for variety sake.

You put a toe into the Tom Ford world, I might check out what else they have to offer.
You also might start looking at Barbershop type fragrances as well.

And from my personal tastes - I would add something spicy, something woody, something rum/whisky, and definitely a tobacco.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@WIA20XX i think it should be more simple for @Fresh

Let’s say the kid is in Negril at the resort.

He had a late breakfast. Now he’s about to hit up the bar for some coconut rum and talk to some European PAWGs.

If it’s you, what are you spraying on?

If you disapprove of his PAWGing, don’t judge too harshly. He’s just waiting for the sun to go down a bit before the sistas come out.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps

He had a late breakfast. Now he’s about to hit up the bar for some coconut rum and talk to some European PAWGs.

If you disapprove of his PAWGing, don’t judge too harshly. He’s just waiting for the sun to go down a bit before the sistas come out.

That's an entirely different question, imo. We not really in the spitting game post, so I'll keep it brief.

If I'm in Negril chatting up Olga, I'm probably trying to wear

Haze by Akro or Carolina H's Bad Boy - both have a cannabis note.

Most guys would lean towards tropical scents in tropical settings, or go citrus/aquatic/marine - that's not how my mind works.

I would wear tend to wear coconuts, rums, mandarins, etc when I'm in the city - because I want the chick to be "transported" to someplace else.

I'm not gonna go too far into this over on this thread though.

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps

:russ:. breh what ?? lmao

let's keep it strictly cologne talk

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That's an entirely different question, imo. We not really in the spitting game post, so I'll keep it brief.

If I'm in Negril chatting up Olga, I'm probably trying to wear

Haze by Akro or Carolina H's Bad Boy - both have a cannabis note.

Most guys would lean towards tropical scents in tropical settings, or go citrus/aquatic/marine - that's not how my mind works.

I would wear tend to wear coconuts, rums, mandarins, etc when I'm in the city - because I want the chick to be "transported" to someplace else.

I'm not gonna go too far into this over on this thread though.

levels-corey-anderson.gif

:wow:

JealousOnesEn_V

HTX Certified
Daps
My man got 3 different opinions on that Silver Mountain Water.

@JealousOnesEn_V I don’t know what you’re gonna do but the anticipation in this thread now is fascinating

:russ:

UPDATE lol
Ended up going the decant route from @WIA20XX suggestion. Going to see which i like best once they come in.

I went with:
Naxos 1861
Creed SMW
Creed VIW
Roja Elysium
PL Salt & Pepper