brehs lets talk cologne game

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm not really into the obscure colognes right now, so I'm sure fragrance snobs will turn their noses up at my enjoyment of Chanel Bleu, YSL Y, and Montblanc Legend.
I think I'm probably going to get the Invictus Victory next, even though the lady at the store tried to talk me into Invictus Legend. It's just what I like.

What I have found recently is that while I do have more of a lean towards sporty colognes, I want something a bit more serious. And I feel like a lot of these obscure colognes people talk about are either way too fruity (anything Givenchy, no thank you) or just not my type at all (I can't understand what anyone likes of 1 Million or Jean Paul Gaultier).

I do think it's fair to revisit some things I have dismissed in the past though, so maybe I'll give some of the Tom Fords another look.
I'm not against spending $150 or more for a cologne. But I can't ever justify some of these outrageous prices for Creed, Roja, Maison Francis and the other crazy shyt you see at Neiman Marcus.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I'm not really into the obscure colognes right now, so I'm sure fragrance snobs will turn their noses up at my enjoyment of Chanel Bleu, YSL Y, and Montblanc Legend.
I think I'm probably going to get the Invictus Victory next, even though the lady at the store tried to talk me into Invictus Legend. It's just what I like.

What I have found recently is that while I do have more of a lean towards sporty colognes, I want something a bit more serious. And I feel like a lot of these obscure colognes people talk about are either way too fruity (anything Givenchy, no thank you) or just not my type at all (I can't understand what anyone likes of 1 Million or Jean Paul Gaultier).

I do think it's fair to revisit some things I have dismissed in the past though, so maybe I'll give some of the Tom Fords another look.
I'm not against spending $150 or more for a cologne. But I can't ever justify some of these outrageous prices for Creed, Roja, Maison Francis and the other crazy shyt you see at Neiman Marcus.

I've got Victory - it's a bit chocolate-y. It's not one I reach for, but it's solid. I wouldn't call it serious because it's sweet. Anything sweet, I personally associate with weekends, dates, hitting the club, or something I wear around the flat.

If I needed to go to a job interview, I'd rock that Bleu de Chanel you've got now. Sporty, Clean, Elegant, smells good, not necessarily memorable.

In terms of "grown man" colognes - what I think of is an upscale dinner where you let the valet park the Hyundai Elantra, watching August Wilson plays with your boo, or Church Holiday - I think of more spice, more wood, but not sweet.

Dior - Sauvage Elixir (~150 ish) - it's like a super strong Drakkar type scent.
Armani - Acqua Di Gio Profumo (harder to find, ~100) - It's got a bit of that Acqua di Gio DNA - but to me the strong part is the incense

Designer style Oud's (as opposed to Arab style)
Versace - Pour Homme Oud Noir
Gucci - Intense Oud
Gucci - Guilty Oud

Tom Ford's Oud Wood - is probably out of the price range for what you get, imo. I'd say Tuscan Leather over Oud Wood - but Tuscan Leather is somewhat limited in where I would rock it.

Kevin Samuels last real great pick was TF's Ebene Fume - Cologne Snobs seem were split on it when it dropped, but now it's well respected. I got the clone, and it's cool. I need to make 1M a year after tax before I would consider copping it blind though.

Aventus (pineapple and smoked birch) is another grown man scent, and I'm guessing Montblanc Explorer is the better clone.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've got Victory - it's a bit chocolate-y. It's not one I reach for, but it's solid. I wouldn't call it serious because it's sweet. Anything sweet, I personally associate with weekends, dates, hitting the club, or something I wear around the flat.

If I needed to go to a job interview, I'd rock that Bleu de Chanel you've got now. Sporty, Clean, Elegant, smells good, not necessarily memorable.

In terms of "grown man" colognes - what I think of is an upscale dinner where you let the valet park the Hyundai Elantra, watching August Wilson plays with your boo, or Church Holiday - I think of more spice, more wood, but not sweet.

Dior - Sauvage Elixir (~150 ish) - it's like a super strong Drakkar type scent.
Armani - Acqua Di Gio Profumo (harder to find, ~100) - It's got a bit of that Acqua di Gio DNA - but to me the strong part is the incense

Designer style Oud's (as opposed to Arab style)
Versace - Pour Homme Oud Noir
Gucci - Intense Oud
Gucci - Guilty Oud

Tom Ford's Oud Wood - is probably out of the price range for what you get, imo. I'd say Tuscan Leather over Oud Wood - but Tuscan Leather is somewhat limited in where I would rock it.

Kevin Samuels last real great pick was TF's Ebene Fume - Cologne Snobs seem were split on it when it dropped, but now it's well respected. I got the clone, and it's cool. I need to make 1M a year after tax before I would consider copping it blind though.

Aventus (pineapple and smoked birch) is another grown man scent, and I'm guessing Montblanc Explorer is the better clone.
I haven’t smelled any of the Oud colognes but I have read and seen videos that it can be harsh on the nose. But I will try them because it really does hinge on personal preference.

A LOT of colognes that I had on my list, recommended by articles and YouTubers I did NOT LIKE.

I have a sample of Aventus and to me it’s okay. I like Green Irish Tweed more.

I’m grateful for your recommendations tho.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I haven’t smelled any of the Oud colognes but I have read and seen videos that it can be harsh on the nose. But I will try them because it really does hinge on personal preference.

A LOT of colognes that I had on my list, recommended by articles and YouTubers I did NOT LIKE.

I have a sample of Aventus and to me it’s okay. I like Green Irish Tweed more.

I’m grateful for your recommendations tho.

Never buy a full bottle of anything,
before you test it out. And I mean rock it for a few weeks.

If I had 100-150 bucks to spend - I'd buy 100-150 bucks of 5ml samples.

4 100ml bottles of Fragrance = 3 years of spraying them on everyday.
So 5 ml should last 3-5 weeks if you used it constantly.

RE: Aventus - I feel the same way. It's fine. I'm not running out to buy another bottle.
But some of the time you're not rocking it for yourself, instead you're wearing fragrance for other people, to project a certain image.

Green Irish Tweed - it's a favorite - compared to Aventus, I would run out a buy a full bottle. It's pretty elegant and grown up - but to me it's also in that "fresh"/"sporty" category.

And that's part of the "fun" of fragrance - it's very subjective.

Duke Wy Lin

It's been a good run. Wish y'all the best ✊🏿
Daps
Get Intiio Side Effect brehs :wow:

I been hearing good things about it. It's definitely on my list to check out along with Rehab. Will probably order a sample set to explore Initio some more as I am not familiar with that house.

Duke Wy Lin

Daps
It's finally that time of year brehs :blessed:

Time to bring out the heavier scents :wow:

Been rotating Pure Havane and Pure Tonka lately and been getting compliments. :ehh:

Between those two, Herod and TV, I'm all set for the colder months.

For casual/work, I just stick with AdG Profumo or Grey Vetiver (:flabbynsick: ). If I want something more youthful I go with Layton or Aoud Lemon Mint.

Duke Wy Lin

Daps
Rocking this joint right now

Headed to the grocery store

I been out of the fragrance collection game for some years now so I am not familiar with most of these newer houses.

Their whole range is nothing but woody scents. Interesting concept:ohhh:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I been out of the fragrance collection game for some years now so I am not familiar with most of these newer houses.

Their whole range is nothing but woody scents. Interesting concept:ohhh:

The hypebeast from that House is Plum in Cognac.

Definitely put your nose on that one.