Breath of the Wild is really running these developer streets

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
To be honest. Compared to other Zelda games botw is kinda shallow.

In the past, your traversal and progress was locked behind you learning new moves and gaining new items. In BOTW the entire games progress is based on upgrading your stamina meter.

I enjoyed the game, but past Zelda games were better :manny:

thts why its the only true open world that exist.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Cause it got a stamina meter on the climbing?? :what:

that shyt kinda annoying imo.

because you can literally go anywhere after the first 3 hour tutorial missions. Thats what an Open world game is supposed to be, you want to go fight the last boss? Go ahead and get done up. You want to go look for a high powered enemy off beyond some mountain top in the distance? get to climbing.

Theres very little restrictions in the game and not having levels makes it even less restrictive. if you're skillful you can do whatever you wanna do. An enemy won't be unbeatable because its level 20 and you're level 1. Thats why this game has the most popular speedruns because you can run straight to the last boss without glitches.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town

In the past, your traversal and progress was locked behind you learning new moves and gaining new items. In BOTW the entire games progress is based on upgrading your stamina meter.

Agreed. I prefer more of a side quest/hidden puzzle/dungeon crawling kind of zelda, both of which hit the peak on N64

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
because you can literally go anywhere after the first 3 hour tutorial missions. Thats what an Open world game is supposed to be, you want to go fight the last boss? Go ahead and get done up. You want to go look for a high powered enemy off beyond some mountain top in the distance? get to climbing.

Theres very little restrictions in the game and not having levels makes it even less restrictive. if you're skillful you can do whatever you wanna do. An enemy won't be unbeatable because its level 20 and you're level 1. Thats why this game has the most popular speedruns because you can run straight to the last boss without glitches.

I enjoyed BOTW but lean on the it's slightly overrated side of things. However my question is, what about this stuff makes it inherently good? It's cool an interesting, but it ain't like there is some defined ruleset to fun.

I personally enjoy the item/temple progression of traditional Zelda a lot more than this setup and I actually thought the way these 4 dungeons and the 150 mini dungeons were done slightly killed the fun factor I usually get from Zelda games. Neither of us are right or wrong it is just our preference and that's fine.

However, you are making emphatic statements. No game is 'supposed' to be anything. They are only 'supposed' to be the way they are made. When god created earth he didn't say "and open world game should have zero restrictions, as it is told!"

This is a subjective/preference based thing like any artistic endeavor.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I enjoyed BOTW but lean on the it's slightly overrated side of things. However my question is, what about this stuff makes it inherently good? It's cool an interesting, but it ain't like there is some defined ruleset to fun.

I personally enjoy the item/temple progression of traditional Zelda a lot more than this setup and I actually thought the way these 4 dungeons and the 150 mini dungeons were done slightly killed the fun factor I usually get from Zelda games. Neither of us are right or wrong it is just our preference and that's fine.

However, you are making emphatic statements. No game is 'supposed' to be anything. They are only 'supposed' to be the way they are made. When god created earth he didn't say "and open world game should have zero restrictions, as it is told!"

This is a subjective/preference based thing like any artistic endeavor.

im being hyperbolic but when companies talk up their "open worlds" and freedom of play, it always comes with so many qualifiers. Zelda removes a lot of it. Im not saying everyone has to like that level of freedom but i also see people ask what "new" stuff did Zelda do outside of stamina and this is it. It gives you full freedom to tackle the game in the order you want and experience teh story the way you want.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
im being hyperbolic but when companies talk up their "open worlds" and freedom of play, it always comes with so many qualifiers. Zelda removes a lot of it. Im not saying everyone has to like that level of freedom but i also see people ask what "new" stuff did Zelda do outside of stamina and this is it. It gives you full freedom to tackle the game in the order you want and experience teh story the way you want.
I did enjoy the game and not mad at my time with it.

It was very fun for the most part and I did like exploring the world I don't want to sound like a hater.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I was shytting on this game a few years ago. Silly me. I busted out my old save during the Christmas holidays and lost myself playing this shyt damn near all night. Classic game. Still don't like the performance issues, but very few games capture exploration and have a fire physics engine like BOTW

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition

:usure:

Zelda sticking to that format was causing it to lose a lot of hype over time. Skyward Sword failing to make a splash on the best-selling Nintendo console of all time showed that for sure. Props for Nintendo for realizing which way the wind was blowing.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:usure:

Zelda sticking to that format was causing it to lose a lot of hype over time. Skyward Sword failing to make a splash on the best-selling Nintendo console of all time showed that for sure. Props for Nintendo for realizing which way the wind was blowing.

Crazy that they’re probably gonna sell over 2x’s the amount of skyward sword than they did the first time just because they briefly changed the recipe.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Breath of The Wild still managed to do the one thing most of f these open world games can’t seem to figure out. How to make actual exploration fun.

Riding on a horse, mount, whatever from town to town is so fukking played out and boring. Being able to climb everything and glide in BoTW the best open world game ever.
That’s to u. Cause that game is boring as fukk to me. There’s a few others that are more fun in that regard imo.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land

You could do this in crackdown :unimpressed: