Remember nikkas really used to argue for him over Tatum :heh:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Remember nikkas really used to argue for him over Tatum :heh:

Yeah, at one point it made sense.

Dude was doing his thing. That's how he got the 5 year deal. Something like $159M.

Players slide. It happens. Some get out of it, others don’t.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I like Alvarado.

If he started and got more minutes and actually learned to play in whatever system Willie Green develops, he could be perfect for them. He's high-energy and a true point guard. But these teams aren't running real PG play anymore, so dudes like him get lost in the schemes. They need to get back to running things through an actual point guard, like when CP3 was there.
Alvarado isn't the PG to help New Orleans get to the next level.

CP3 was the best player on his team and the best point guard in the league. It's unrealistic to ask that of a player with Zion and BI on the same team.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Alvarado isn't the PG to help New Orleans get to the next level.

CP3 was the best player on his team and the best point guard in the league. It's unrealistic to ask that of a player with Zion and BI on the same team.

Thing is, he's exactly who Willie Green and the scouting report says he is.

He's not mistake prone and he's a mindful passer. Has a lot of energy and knows the strengths and weaknesses of his teammates. Willie Green said early this season his goal was for Alvarado to run the second unit and have CJ possibly run the first. But he said he knows for sure that Alvarado will always play with mad effort and energize the team.

For now, that's all they need. There aren't many true floor generals left in the league that are gonna be gunning to get to New Orleans. What they should be doing, is developing their current group and building a strong core around the talent they already have.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Thing is, he's exactly who Willie Green and the scouting report says he is.

He's not mistake prone and he's a mindful passer. Has a lot of energy and knows the strengths and weaknesses of his teammates. Willie Green said early this season his goal was for Alvarado to run the second unit and have CJ possibly run the first. But he said he knows for sure that Alvarado will always play with mad effort and energize the team.

For now, that's all they need. There aren't many true floor generals left in the league that are gonna be gunning to get to New Orleans. What they should be doing, is developing their current group and building a strong core around the talent they already have.
All that is fine, but that's not a "take us to the next level" guy. Otherwise he'd be running the show for the first unit with CJ in it.

If Alvarado gave them all they needed, they'd be respected as a favorite or at least serious threat in the West.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
All that is fine, but that's not a "take us to the next level" guy. Otherwise he'd be running the show for the first unit with CJ in it.

If Alvarado gave them all they needed, they'd be respected as a favorite or at least serious threat in the West.

I don’t think they're kidding themselves into thinking he's elite and can take them to the chip.

But for what they need at the moment, he can definitely help to make the other guys better and move the offense more efficiently. Which is his job, if he's given more opportunities to do that. Which is why Willie said, "We have a lot of talent on the team, that maybe hasn't gotten the looks they need to really blossom". And he mentioned Alvarado. Sometimes, all dudes need is a chance. I think he's one of those guys.

As we can see, that offense was mad stagnant with CJ at the helm. They need more speed and way more energy on the floor. CJ's style of play doesn't work well with the young talent on the squad.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I don’t think they're kidding themselves into thinking he's elite and can take them to the chip.

But for what they need at the moment, he can definitely help to make the other guys better and move the offense more efficiently. Which is his job, if he's given more opportunities to do that. Which is why Willie said, "We have a lot of talent on the team, that maybe hasn't gotten the looks they need to really blossom". And he mentioned Alvarado. Sometimes, all dudes need is a chance. I think he's one of those guys.

As we can see, that offense was mad stagnant with CJ at the helm. They need more speed and way more energy on the floor. CJ's style of play doesn't work well with the young talent on the squad.
At this point, it's about time to get into that contending status though. Zion has been there 5 years and Ingram has been there with him for 4.

I agree that CJ doesn't work in the grand scheme, but I don't agree that Alvarado is the answer at PG while trying to find a more "dominant" SG than CJ, because those are just as rare or not rarer than elite floor generals, and getting an All-NBA SG is another scorer needing a bunch of shots and clashing with Zion and BI.

BI and Zion can work but they're better served finding a PG who has proved they can score enough if necessary but doesn't care about his shots and is comfortable setting the table, in order to maximize them.

Alvarado has been around 3 years. I think if he was the answer to run with the first unit and be what we're describing, he'd already be starting and showing it.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
I like Alvarado but he’s nobodies starting PG

They need a real point that can get his own shot and be the offensive coach

Honestly, they need another backup big, a starting point, and to get rid of BI (shyt, and CJ if we gonna be honest).

BI never been the guy imo.. too much dumbness and lack of heart. He looked mid during the FIBA too

He does benefit with the gravity Zion gives but everyone does.

I think Pelicans should get into the discussion with ATL for either Young or Murray for BI and someone else. Or a Cade/VanFleet. Maybe even package for Ivey with something else

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
He's a 2 who MIGHT really be a 3rd option on a real title contender. Obviously like others have stated a point guard who creates and passes at an elite level would help them a lot. But whose out there and could they get one without giving up BI or Zion. Doubt it and I think they are riding with Zion till the wheels fall all the way off.