Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
Are dividend stocks worth it?

They're stocks that will pay you their company's profits every quarter (some companies have different schedules) for holding the stock.

However that does not mean go searching for the highest dividend possible. Usually companies can't contain really high dividends and will have to cut it in the future.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Are dividend stocks worth it?

Dependent on your strategy.

I have a sizable portion of my portfolio in blue-chip stocks with a nice dividend yield (in my mind ~3.0% or more) and decent capital appreciation, and most, if not all of those, dividends have been reinvested back into the names since I was a child so the compounding effect has been great. Will make for a nice income stream whenever I choose to receive the payments in cash.

Also, have a portion of my portfolio in momentum plays where I'm looking solely for sizable capital appreciation.

With that said be weary of stocks with gaudy dividend yields. Do your research and try to get a view of the stability of the dividend (i.e. has there been a pattern of cuts or suspensions? do the growth prospects suggest that the company will be able to afford the dividends in the future? is the high yield a function of a rapidly deteriorating share price?)

For example, mortgage reits tends to have a high dividend yield of say 10+%, but the shares have been getting hammered due to the prospects of rising interest rates, so while you can offset your losses with the high dividend payout, your breakeven gets worse as the share price slides rapidly

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
Breh what is your thesis for investing in this Company.

Everyday is a bloodbath. Down like 8% right now :scusthov:

I thought when that hedge fund manager got out (his name escapes me is it can Loeb?) got out it was a bottom. Now I have no idea I could see it drop 2 more dollars or go up 2.
either way Goldman has both sides of this, they own their debt and are now doing the new equity offering.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I thought when that hedge fund manager got out (his name escapes me is it can Loeb?) got out it was a bottom. Now I have no idea I could see it drop 2 more dollars or go up 2.
either way Goldman has both sides of this, they own their debt and are now doing the new equity offering.

Bill Ackman of Pershing Square. Dan Loeb of Third Point is his nemesis.

Bernie Madoff

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Otisville, Federal Correctional Institution