Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
What do you mean by this breh?

someone is betting on AAPL being below $105 by October 2nd. since Apple is the biggest company in the world and biggest component in the Dow Jones it would mean APPL would have to fall pretty far for this bet to hit and it would drag a lot of the market down with it. if it were to happen mind you. I'm of the mindset this bet won't be in the money by then but I could definitely see us lower from here.

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
I don't see how it would reduce your AGI. Maybe @Brown_Pride can help. I think he's an accountant.
@88m3 It doesn't reduce your AGI, it just doesn't increase it.The interest isn't taxable, however, because the interest is tax exempt you'll need to see where you fall in regards to the alternative minimum tax if the bond is a private activity bond. You'll need to take a look at what tax bracket you fall into. Typically the higher the tax bracket the more benefit you get from munis. I'd definitely talk to your CPA, if you don't have one get one as it sounds like you're starting to make moves

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
Thoughts on Investing in Gold and Silver? Or is this the wrong thread for that?

I'm not a huge fan of it. However I think in the short term you're going to see continued volatility in stock and bond markets which will push gold higher. Longer term I don't know its a volatile investment and somewhat of a fear trade. When the economy is doing bad that's when gold goes up.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm not a huge fan of it. However I think in the short term you're going to see continued volatility in stock and bond markets which will push gold higher. Longer term I don't know its a volatile investment and somewhat of a fear trade. When the economy is doing bad that's when gold goes up.
yea I`m not wealthy by any means, just trying to see the best options for a normal cat to save money and let it grow outside of a 401k I already use.

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
yea I`m not wealthy by any means, just trying to see the best options for a normal cat to save money and let it grow outside of a 401k I already use.

I mean it's good to start investing whenever you can with whatever amount you have and add to it over the years. Like I said I'm not a huge fan of gold/silver and I would probably wouldn't allocate more than 5-10% of my portfolio to it. Like I said commodities like gold can be volatile.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I mean it's good to start investing whenever you can with whatever amount you have and add to it over the years. Like I said I'm not a huge fan of gold/silver and I would probably wouldn't allocate more than 5-10% of my portfolio to it. Like I said commodities like gold can be volatile.
So outside of a 401k what do you recommend? AMEX has a High Yield savings account, but I haven't contributed to it in a min but look to get back into doing so, but wasn't sure if a Roth IRA would be better.

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
So outside of a 401k what do you recommend? AMEX has a High Yield savings account, but I haven't contributed to it in a min but look to get back into doing so, but wasn't sure if a Roth IRA would be better.

well is your company matching you on the 401k? because I would recommend doing the maximum contribution you can to that if they're matching.

savings accounts probably aren't going to get you a ton in this low-interest rate environment.

IRAs can be good depending on your tax preferences. Roth is taxed on the contribution but not on earnings or withdrawals where a traditional IRA is tax free on the contributions but taxed when you withdraw at retirement.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
well is your company matching you on the 401k? because I would recommend doing the maximum contribution you can to that if they're matching.

savings accounts probably aren't going to get you a ton in this low-interest rate environment.

IRAs can be good depending on your tax preferences. Roth is taxed on the contribution but not on earnings or withdrawals where a traditional IRA is tax free on the contributions but taxed when you withdraw at retirement.
yea I always do max Company will match. and Roth is after tax contributions thus there is no withdrawal penalty if I understand correctly right? I probably wouldn't do a Traditional since I already have a 401k. I`m thinking about just dong maybe my normal 401k, having a Roth, and then just a 2nd checking account that I direct deposit funds into for emergencies so I won't have to worry about withdraw penalties.

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
yea I always do max Company will match. and Roth is after tax contributions thus there is no withdrawal penalty if I understand correctly right? I probably wouldn't do a Traditional since I already have a 401k. I`m thinking about just dong maybe my normal 401k, having a Roth, and then just a 2nd checking account that I direct deposit funds into for emergencies so I won't have to worry about withdraw penalties.

If you’re 59½ or older and have had at least one Roth IRA open for over five years, withdrawals from any of your Roth IRAs are qualified withdrawals. As such, they are free of any federal income tax or penalty. The five-year period for qualified withdrawals starts on January 1 of the first tax year for which you make a Roth contribution.

Taxes on Roth IRA withdrawals