Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

GoogleMe

$ ¥ € £ $
Daps
Reppin
The Street
I usually hold a few months unless something turns against me badly... I like to buy stocks that have been beaten down and are trading at or below book value. If I think they could go bankrupt, buy calls and puts, so there's a lot of upside, but I still make money if it goes to 0. I use the technicals (RSI + Bollinger + MACD + Stochastics) as pretty reliable indicators over a stretch of time... selling the calls when overbought, unless I think there's more upside and vice versa with puts. If there's more upside and it's overbought, hopefully sell half my position to cover the cost of all contracts and let the rest ride out as profit.

Dope. Have you considered integrating the P/S ratio into your screens? By that i mean scanning for stocks that trade at various degrees of discount on a P/S basis.

无名的

Superstar
Daps
what do you think of CVX right now?

I think there is more downside to oil and the EIA keeps revising oil forecasts downward... I'm not bullish on oil recovering any time soon, unless the Saudis surprise with an emergency meeting or in December's meeting decide they (+OPEC) can't take the pain anymore or more shale drillers go out of business next year after hedges roll off the books. Supply needs to be cut.

CVX is screaming buy right now technically, so maybe a short term bump.... and I think if you're buying stock outright, although it could go down more, it's still a great entry point. I'm not liking the options right now though. I buy long term options, preferably LEAPS and volatility is still too high, which causes premiums to be too high. I'd prefer to see oil be rangebound at these levels for awhile, so volatility and options premiums drop, then buy a bunch of out of the money calls for 2017 with a strike that equates to where CVX was trading when Brent was around $65... so maybe some CVX 2017 options at $90 strike. I think Brent at $65 next year and a half is reasonable and who knows... could far exceed that.

Drones

Visions of $
Daps
Anybody have any advice or a glossary on commonly used terms in stock market discussions? Trying to learn the game and could use a push in the right direction given how much information is out there and I figured I'd start by keeping up with this thread. Thanks.

I bought 1 share of Amazon on the Coli practice trader market and it went up $34 which is pretty cool. Now I want to learn more.

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
Anybody have any advice or a glossary on commonly used terms in stock market discussions? Trying to learn the game and could use a push in the right direction given how much information is out there and I figured I'd start by keeping up with this thread. Thanks.

I bought 1 share of Amazon on the Coli practice trader market and it went up $34 which is pretty cool. Now I want to learn more.
Try investopedia.

One of the more knowledgeable posters here was recommending a Reddit investing subforum....I'll see if I can find his post

GoogleMe

$ ¥ € £ $
Daps
Reppin
The Street

you will learn a lot by going through these two tutorials

Stocks Basics: Introduction | Investopedia

Investing 101: Introduction | Investopedia

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
watched a lil of the nightly business report and caught this jack*** (ny fed governor) at the meeting of central bankers in jackson, wyoming pushing the postponement of the sept. rate hike. he also wasn't aware that main st (housing and retail) are reasonably healthy right now.

Nightly Business Report — August 26, 2015 | Nightly Business Report

interview starts @4:25

Fed’s William Dudley cools talk of September liftoff
Kadhim Shubber and Robin Wigglesworth in New York

images

A senior Federal Reserve official has damped expectations that the US central bank would raise interest rates next month, highlighting how turmoil spreading from China to global financial markets is rattling policymakers.

William Dudley, the head of the New York branch of the Fed, told a conference that it was “important not to overreact to short-term market developments”.

But he conceded that the argument for tightening monetary policy as early as September seemed “less compelling to me [now] than it was a few weeks ago”.

“International developments have increased the downside risk to US economic growth somewhat,” he said, citing China’s economic slowdown, falling commodity prices, strains on emerging markets and the resulting “financial market volatility”.

He was speaking after days of steep slides in Chinese shares, which have lost half their value since mid-June amid mounting evidence of a slowdown in the world’s second-biggest economy.

The declines have spread alarm across global equities, commodities and foreign exchange markets.

The turmoil seen on Monday had eased by Wednesday but markets remained volatile before a strong US rally that left the S&P 500 up 3.9 per cent.

The FTSE Eurofirst 300 saw big swings and closed down 1.9 per cent. China’s Shanghai Composite index also dropped 1.3 per cent, a day after the People’s Bank of China cut interest rates and pumped liquidity into the banking sector by reducing the reserve requirement ratio for big banks.

Earlier this summer, most economists were predicting that the Fed would raise rates in September for the first time in almost a decade.

But market expectations of an increase next month are fading fast, with Barclays’ economists shifting their forecasts to next March.

Mr Dudley said he still hoped the Fed could raise interest rates by the end of the year — noting that a move would be a sign of confidence in the US economy.

He added that new data could yet make a September rise “more compelling”.

“I really do hope we can raise interest rates this year . . . But let’s see how the data unfold before we make statements about when that might occur.”

Dennis Lockhart, the president of the Atlanta Fed, said on Monday that he still expected interest rates to rise this year. But Mr Dudley is the first Fed policymaker to speak in such detail since the global stock market sell-off.

Mr Dudley’s comments helped send the two-year Treasury yield, which is the most sensitive to interest rates, down from a peak of 0.69 per cent earlier on Wednesday to 0.67 per cent by late afternoon in New York.

Traders have dramatically ratcheted down expectations for US rate increases this year and next.

Interest rate futures indicate that investors now see only a 24 per cent chance of a rate rise in September, down from more than 50 per cent earlier this month. The probable path of rate increases in 2016 has also moderated markedly, according to Bloomberg futures data.

Jeffrey Gundlach, the head of DoubleLine, a big bond fund manager, said there was “no way” the Fed would raise interest rates this year.

“There are still some people that still think the Fed could hike in September. I think that’s a ridiculous assumption, given what is going on in financial markets,” he told the Financial Times.

“I think we should be very worried about China. It’s a very big deal.”

Some high-profile observers have gone further, with the former Treasury secretary Larry Summers and the hedge fund manager Ray Dalio calling for the Fed to restart its quantitative easing programme.

“It is far from clear that the next Fed move will be a tightening,” Mr Summers wrote on Twitter this week.

“As in August 1997, 1998, 2007 and 2008 we could be in the early stage of a very serious situation . . . Right now problems are not overconfidence or investors oblivious to risk, so no need for Fed to send shock across investors’ bow.”

Mr Dudley, who was speaking at a conference dedicated primarily to New York’s regional economy, laughed off the QE suggestion, saying: “I’m way far away from thinking about quantitative easing.”

He said a “large and prolonged drop” in the stock market could weigh on households’ willingness to spend but stressed that the current ructions were primarily a Chinese problem.

“What we’re seeing is not a US problem,” he said. “This is very different to the financial crisis. The financial crisis was very much about us. This isn’t about us.”

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/41844bb0-4c01-11e5-b558-8a9722977189.html#axzz3jy9UJlIF

Fed's Dudley: Case for September Rate Increase Now 'Less Compelling'

Wall Street Journal‎ - 8 hours ago
New York Fed President William Dudley said prospects of a central-bank rate rise next ..

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits

I was mainly recommending the side bar on the right as it has multiple links to where people ask, "I'm new to this what do I do?" and has links to lists of books and other sites.

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
selling September puts on the VIX with strikes in the teens looks like a good bet. VIX is still above "Greece may default levels" and the board is so backwards that it will take a higher sustained market to get down there to those levels and it will most likely take weeks to do so.

GoogleMe

$ ¥ € £ $
Daps
Reppin
The Street
I was mainly recommending the side bar on the right as it has multiple links to where people ask, "I'm new to this what do I do?" and has links to lists of books and other sites.

Ya isn't that the subreddit you were referring to though? I don't know why the hypertext says "losing money with friends" :russ: