Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I know it definitely meets the requirements for Nasdaq based on their balance sheet.

I think there's no way they're letting Greece fail. I almost want to look for something Greek related to invest speculate in.

I'd read Chelsea Clinton's husband's hedge fund took serious losses, I'm sure that where there's a will there's a way...

It's all guessing on the right bargain...

:patrice:

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
sounds terrifying but I'd imagine there's a upside...

@alybaba

on a side note an Indian guy I'd met was hyping India for investment due to growth/population

reading that article I was surprised by the ETFs for other "frontier" markets like Nigeria.

the only reason to be bullish is Chinese investment.

alybaba

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
sounds terrifying but I'd imagine there's a upside...

@alybaba

on a side note an Indian guy I'd met was hyping India for investment due to growth/population

I know its difficult to imagine Pakistan as anything other than a failed state when looking at it from the outside. But do keep in mind the following, from a purely economic perspective:

- Population of almost 200 million and growing
- Young population, so the demographic dividend is there
- Growing middle class of 30m+
- Steadily increasing GDP per capita
- Strategic location that connects the Arabian Sea to Central Asia and Western China
- Fertile agricultural land which produces major commodities such as cotton and rice, which generate export $s and sustain local populations
- Limited FDI over the years, so not too much money chasing deals
- Investor friendly regulation
- Large infrastructure requirements which when undertaken will have significant multiplier effects

Pakistan has some solid investment opportunities. Take banks for example. They are well-managed (some argue a little on the conservative side) and have so much room for growth in a country with barely any credit penetration. Insurance companies are great plays too for the same reason.

Then there's the independent power producers like HubCo who have a guaranteed tariff based on Return on Equity in USD terms, so it pays you a 8% dividend in USD terms.

There's so much growth in the consumer market - some of the best performing stocks are consumer food products that are tapping into a large peri-urban market and a brewery (yes, there's a publicly listed brewery that makes half-decent alcoholic beer - the one in my avi).

Then you have the fertilizer companies run by the military that get super cheap gas (which the major input in urea) and make a shyt ton of money.

Valuations are cheap compared to regional peers too. If you have patience and discipline, Pakistan can be pretty lucrative. A friend of mine manages a global portfolio for his family and has been increasing his weightage in Pakistan. The political crises are actually the best times to buy solid blue chip companies cheap and lower your average cost basis.

Last edited:

OSUBaneBrowns

Ohio to California
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Long Beach, CA
:whoa::whoa::whoa:

I stick to Europe and the Asian markets for right now. I make some changes to the 401K today. Sold some shares of my realty income fund and brought a Vanguard S&P 500 mutual fund. Also diversify the portfolio with an Europe and Asian tracking fund. I would need to do some extensive research before investing in Pakistan.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
reading that article I was surprised by the ETFs for other "frontier" markets like Nigeria.

the only reason to be bullish is Chinese investment.

i brought some NGE after the the recent nigerian election, i think the election was an actual shift in the country and in africa toward stability and i just figure if anything pops in africa it will be nigeria