Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
In addition to the the other posters videos and explanations, I'd recommend starting off doing some paper trades on ThinkorSwim (or any other decent brokerage). So you get a hang of the mechanics.

Like anything else in investing/finance, it's about risk v reward. Options can be lucrative but you can also lose your shirt.
Obligatory:

XOM is a great company, financial wise, can't say the same for their actual business. Good long term name to invest in IMO.
Within the last week, The Economist had a good piece on Exonn trying to turn the ship around and whether to take them seriously or not. Listened to the podcast but here's the article link too
What is ExxonMobil’s new climate strategy worth?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
51e077f069beddc355000005

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
I remember two years ago when this pandemic started and we all were saying long as we just buy and hold everything will work out LT

two years later we are in 10 times the worst situation and most portfolios have been destroyed

I gotta imagine retirement accounts are being destroyed and this is gonna lead to even bigger bear sentiment

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I remember two years ago when this pandemic started and we all were saying long as we just buy and hold everything will work out LT

two years later we are in 10 times the worst situation and most portfolios have been destroyed

I gotta imagine retirement accounts are being destroyed and this is gonna lead to even bigger bear sentiment
You best believe retirement accounts are getting blasted right now.
if my 401k is taking a hit, and it's not even that large, i can't imagine people with six figure/seven figure retirement accounts.
This shyt has been ruthless !

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

you're overreacting a bit, if you invested well during the 2020 dip - when portfolios and 401k's were nosediving, you're still up now. the only shyt fukked for me are the growth stocks where i opened big positions or bought a lot in Nov 2020-Feb 2021 after HUGE run ups - those stocks keep and keep dumping. megacaps, non tech, things i'm holding from 2017 etc is still fine

you also gotta believe we'll be in a completely different place 2-3 years from now, it'll be ok, just don't keep doubling down on all the stuff with zero profits

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You best believe retirement accounts are getting blasted right now.
if my 401k is taking a hit, and it's not even that large, i can't imagine people with six figure/seven figure retirement accounts.
This shyt has been ruthless !

I mean it’s being wrecked but just like the other times it was wrecked it came back up. Besides I can’t touch it until I’m 59 1/2 or 60 unless it’s an emergency.

now the people who are living off of their retirement that’s who is feeling it just imagine your fixed income being 1500 and now its 800 for the month. But that’s a worst case scenario. These events happen.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I mean it’s being wrecked but just like the other times it was wrecked it came back up. Besides I can’t touch it until I’m 59 1/2 or 60 unless it’s an emergency.

now the people who are living off of their retirement that’s who is feeling it just imagine your fixed income being 1500 and now its 800 for the month. But that’s a worst case scenario. These events happen.
that's why you move your portfolio over to bonds and blue chip dividend stock as you age, you don't need to be growing your portfolio, you basically want to outpace inflation and guarantee your monthly income

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
that's why you move your portfolio over to bonds and blue chip dividend stock as you age, you don't need to be growing your portfolio, you basically want to outpace inflation and guarantee your monthly income

im not even going to do it this is my last 5 months I can add on to it I’m going to keep buying into the S&P until the end. And it will just be sitting from that point on :mjcry: wish I would of put more in it at the beginning of my career. One of the worst mistakes I made with it was investing in the G fund the first 7-8 years of my career.

If I land a job where I can keep investing in it than I will but I doubt it. I look at it like I’m buying the stuff I want on sale. Besides I have almost 20 years before I can really use it.