Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Software

RIP Future Gohan
Daps
Reppin
Swole Gang
im sure this has been asked before, but can someone explain calls and puts like I am 5 years old? I see a good amount of people in here saying they missed out on some good money on puts with the market falling, and I want to be in the know for future investing. Its the one thing I cant seem to grasp.

Can someone give an example with actual pricing/figures? How much does it cost to put in a call/put option, etc?
Check out some YouTube videos on options. I'd set aside a little bit of play money to play with them once felt like understood them before actually trying a real market play. They can be very risky and will make you broke if you don't know what you're doing.

Rickdogg44

RIP Charmander RIP Kobe
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
im sure this has been asked before, but can someone explain calls and puts like I am 5 years old? I see a good amount of people in here saying they missed out on some good money on puts with the market falling, and I want to be in the know for future investing. Its the one thing I cant seem to grasp.

Can someone give an example with actual pricing/figures? How much does it cost to put in a call/put option, etc?
Best video in my opinion esp his "house example "

Buying call - gives you the right to buy 100 shares at that strike by certain date

I'll use Apple $170 , February 18th expiration. Call.

Currently going for $3.55 aka $355 since options are in x100.

At 18th of February you need apple to be above 173.55 to make money.

Between now and then the call will fluctuate based on the greeks. And you can sell for profit.

Buying puts are opposite of calls

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Best video in my opinion esp his "house example "

Buying call - gives you the right to buy 100 shares at that strike by certain date

I'll use Apple $170 , February 18th expiration. Call.

Currently going for $3.55 aka $355 since options are in x100.

At 18th of February you need apple to be above 173.55 to make money.

Between now and then the call will fluctuate based on the greeks. And you can sell for profit.

Buying puts are opposite of calls

can you buy/sell anytime or does there need to be a buyer for what you're selling or it won't go through?

Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Valley of the SUNS

In addition to the the other posters videos and explanations, I'd recommend starting off doing some paper trades on ThinkorSwim (or any other decent brokerage). So you get a hang of the mechanics.

Like anything else in investing/finance, it's about risk v reward. Options can be lucrative but you can also lose your shirt.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
glad i put 80% of my 401k in the new year on mostly bond funds, only down a tiny bit. will shift when time is right.
trading account still all cash. key levels for QQQ is 355 for support. 14500 on the NQ.

might consider some qqq calls at 355 for a quick quick play like 5% ill be happy with, not trading advice.
All the way down to $352 (July support) or $350 (October Support) I'll be watching this area for a potential dead cat bounce myself.I probably wouldn't trust any rallies longer than a week at this point

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
there's a lot of weird option activity going on with Viacom
it looks like maybe it would go up but I'm not so sure since it's been downtrodden for a full year at this point :jbhmm:

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
XOM is a great company, financial wise, can't say the same for their actual business. Good long term name to invest in IMO.