Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Liu Kang

KING KILLAYAN MBRRRAPPÉ
Supporter
Daps
:patrice: what’s the real danger if you set a stop order? The brokers limiting trading?
Stop hunts/squeezes mostly : if you're long and a sell off happens, there could be a cascade of stops selling at market price and driving the price down automatically. Sometimes, market movers do this to get the price lower (and a better entry) before a move up. It happens in the other direction too, for example GME : you're short and you put a stop order 10% above current price but you might not be the only one. Well, one whale could willingly push the price up triggering the first stops and then those first stops could trigger the other higher stops and have a domino effect (coupled with FOMO) only because the price was pushed hard once.

Stops are a good practice however as a good loss management is the key to consistent gains. The only issue with them is that you should position them carefully with a good risk assessement, they usually say that the risk/reward should at least be 2 to 1 so if your target is +100, then your stop should at most be at -50. Obviously, a more favorable risk/reward ratio is better and in bull market 2/1 is very conservative. Also, stops on volatile securities will most likely get you stopped out so that 2/1 strategy is mostly for safer bets.

So the strategy would either be :
- look at your target price, set a risk/reward ratio and set the stop accordingly
- or set a minimum price you accept a loss (or unrealized gain) at (which is what I do myself for volatile stuff)

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Aren't there decentralized exchanges that didn't do this the last time? Now would be the perfect time to run a campaign if so

I’ve heard of decentralized exchanges in reference to cryptocurrency...I haven’t heard of any in regards to stock tho...plus halts seem to be a marketwide thing that can’t be avoided regardless of what brokerage you use

Slim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Valley of the SUNS
what happened there?

In early '09, Stewart started throwing shots at CNBC for their coverage of the markets leading up to and during the crash. He went at Rick Santelli who gave a rant at Obama because Obama wanted to give some bail out money to regular people, despite already giving Billions (maybe Trillions) to the banks.

He basically called them shills for all these big banks and insurance companies and showed clips of them pumping bank stocks even as they were falling. Some CNBC personalities struck back at Stewart and then he came back at them -- most notably Cramer.

He exposed Cramer as a Bear Sterns shill and showed that Cramer was pushing people to buy Bear pretty much all the way up to their bankruptcy. Cramer pretty much fell back, apologized, and went on a woe is me tour.

I'm not doing it justice the way I'm explaining it but this shyt was everywhere back then.

Last edited:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I swear GME and SPX gotta have a near perfect neg correlation the past 20 days

:mjlol:
Not a coincidence :sas2:

I predict Thursday will be like today

Finra short interest report drops Wednesday night
Posted tuesday. Market red again while GME and AMC gain.

:sas2:

This is a people's movement thats happening and its effecting the market