Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Undergrad. Got 4 exams left in the coming weeks. I actually just landed a job elsewhere and have been working fulltime / studying after just so I have a job right out of school to rid of my last debts (about $6000). They're paying me peanuts though.

I told myself that if they didnt honor my salary expectations i'd just have to keep on looking and thats what I'm doing. Hopefully it works out or more interviews are landed in the future but if this IVZ job is mine I'll be more than content :whew:.

A part of me knew I shouldn't have accepted the other job so soon cause I'm too experienced from coop / knowledgeable for such a role. But cant turn down immediate money.
:salute:I know what youre going through. I took a year off after undergrad and spent some time in Europe. Currently in 1 year finance MS program at fordham that I hope will help me market myself better. I'm holding out for a front office job right now, as I definitely do not want to get stuck doing some middle office bullshyt for the rest of my life but its looking more likely as the days go by without an offer. Its rough out here:to:

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
:salute:I know what youre going through. I took a year off after undergrad and spent some time in Europe. Currently in 1 year finance MS program at fordham that I hope will help me market myself better. I'm holding out for a front office job right now, as I definitely do not want to get stuck doing some middle office bullshyt for the rest of my life but its looking more likely as the days go by without an offer. Its rough out here:to:
Do your thing playa :salute:.THe position i'd be starting off in is as a Financial Analyst in the head office and being an Accounting major that works out for me. I have a contact at its investment management office downtown and he's probably the most senior PM there so I know that this experience could help me that much more as I try to embark on a career in Investment Management or Banking. I also know bankers that have told me such exp is revered. It might not be now but at the very least it'll make me more marketable for bschool applications in the states if I end up having to take that route.

One thing I've really come to know is that we're still young breh. This money and success is gonna be achieved one way or another when youre ambitious. It's just a matter of when. It isn't a race to me anymore

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Do your thing playa :salute:.THe position i'd be starting off in is as a Financial Analyst in the head office and being an Accounting major that works out for me. I have a contact at its investment management office downtown and he's probably the most senior PM there so I know that this experience could help me that much more as I try to embark on a career in Investment Management or Banking. I also know bankers that have told me such exp is revered. It might not be now but at the very least it'll make me more marketable for bschool applications in the states if I end up having to take that route.

One thing I've really come to know is that we're still young breh. This money and success is gonna be achieved one way or another when youre ambitious. It's just a matter of when. It isn't a race to me anymore
The thing about the bolded part is that is sounds nice but youre competing against robots from Wharton and HBS whose whole lives are finance. You need to have that drive like every interview is your last chance because the people that you are competing against are no joke. The industry is consolidating, especially on the sell-side, and a lot of the jobs that you could have gotten 15 years ago by just being a motivated worker and having a standard academic background are just not available to you anymore. I know for a fact its like this in NYC right now. If you get stuck in the middle or back office, you need some serious luck to move up to the front and there really isn't any indication that this trend is going to reverse. 08 fukked everything up.

Edit: And a piece of advice: Start mass emailing fellow alumni in firms that you want to eventually work in right now. Networking in advance and establishing those relationships is essential for any future moves you want to make.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
The thing about the bolded part is that is sounds nice but youre competing against robots from Wharton and HBS whose whole lives are finance. You need to have that drive like every interview is your last chance because the people that you are competing against are no joke. The industry is consolidating, especially on the sell-side, and a lot of the jobs that you could have gotten 15 years ago by just being a motivated worker and having a standard academic background are just not available to you anymore. I know for a fact its like this in NYC right now. If you get stuck in the middle or back office, you need some serious luck to move up to the front and there really isn't any indication that this trend is going to reverse. 08 fukked everything up.

Edit: And a piece of advice: Start mass emailing fellow alumni in firms that you want to eventually work in right now. Networking in advance and establishing those relationships is essential for any future moves you want to make.
indeed. I cant even lie. there have been times i thought i did well in an interview even if i made a couple minor mistakes. Then when I dont get the job it makes me wonder how really fukkin good these kids from Queens and Ivey (UWO) (Top Canadian schools for undergrad) must really be. So I def hear you.

Its fukked up cause back then youd have ppl off of farms coming into banks as traders and shyt. The game is just all kids of messed right now. Networking is key

7oclock

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I still have much to learn, my sensei :plo:

You ever do fib retracements?

I did my first one two weeks ago and said a certain stock would test .0045 and go back up..
the next day its lowest point hits .0046 and goes right back up :gladbron:

pretty nice eh? :evilcac:

:troll:

7oclock

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know. Fibs, TA and FA can be thrown out tge window when it comes to sub pennies. Fibs can be very useful in high beta stocks tho

only because of the binary events and volume in pennies. However, all the above can help for all types of trading, especially profit taking signals and potential buy signals (again removing the binary event of a pr)

GoogleMe

$ ¥ € £ $
Daps
Reppin
The Street
only because of the binary events and volume in pennies. However, all the above can help for all types of trading, especially profit taking signals and potential buy signals (again removing the binary event of a pr)

Likewise in FX and futures. My point was that pennies don't trade on TA or FA, but on hype, volume, speculation.